Ibrox, post or pre ‘78?

Post 78 for me our average attendance was 25.000 in 78 with a capacity of 65.000 so unless it was a big game scum or sheep it didn't look great mind you John greigs testimonial looked magnificent

My memories of old Ibrox have faded so it's post for me. The stadium has the ability to be up there with the best however it's a mess just now externally. It really needs a bit spent on it,however we don't have the money for this at the moment.

Remember being able to walk round at half time to get behind the goals the Gers were attacking.
Only drawback was running the gauntlet through the p@ss leaking from the toilets at the back of the Govan Enclosure/Stand.

Given the choice, which would you prefer?

I'm somewhere in between. Pre ‘78, but completely covered & proper seating in the centenary stand.
Def post.....the only thing that’s missing is the traditional “Rangers end”...the Copeland Road stand.
Whilst the new all seater stadium was a master stroke and set a precedent for Scottish football ( albeit it took a disaster to make it happen), we lost the “Rangers end” for good and it’s never been replaced. I love the Union bears and what they do for the club but they need moved and given a bigger area, though that would have huge repercussions in relation to season ticket holders etc.
We’ve really lost a huge amount in terms of atmosphere. Perhaps that was the price worth paying for a safe modern stadium?

Post for me! First time in Ibrox was 1982!! Would loved to have experienced the Pre days though! I love just driving past the stadium let alone being in it. Beautiful place.

The old Ibrox when I was younger standing with all your mates together in Rangers End with a small cargo,pre 78 nowadays, bit of comfort for the auld yins :cool:

Definitely post 78 for me, although I always felt they should have looked at a bigger capacity, 44,500 I believe before the addition of the club deck.
My memory of clinching the league vs. Motherwell in 1978 at the old stadium was somewhat soured by someone pissing down the back of my leg, never felt the same about my flared jeans after that. Clearly too pissed to follow the usual protocol of pissing in a can.:rolleyes:

I count it a privilege to have stood among the Derry in the old Ibrox throughout the 1960's and early 70's. The atmosphere from those days will never be bettered imo. Once they put seats into where we stood and renamed it the Centenary Stand I thought it took a bit of the atmosphere away from the stadium and I welcomed the post 78 reconstruction. My vote is for post 78.

Never seen the pre 78. Love Ibrox but would like to see it with all corners filled in. Would look amazing and add to atmosphere.

Definitely post 78 for me. Struggle to stand for two hours now plus much closer to the action.

I'll be 50 soon and I'm just old enough to have been at the old stadium, but remember little. The first games I can properly recall were during the redevelopment.

But something that stuck in my mind was the scale of the old place. I remember one of the old boys guiding the stadium tour a while back saying that if you were at the back of the broomloan now then you would have been pretty much the same distance from the pitch as you would have at the front of the old terracings, due to the cinder track and oval shape. Not sure whether that is accurate or not, but popped into my head when you said about being much closer to the action.

I'll be 50 soon and I'm just old enough to have been at the old stadium, but remember little. The first games I can properly recall were during the redevelopment.

But something that stuck in my mind was the scale of the old place. I remember one of the old boys guiding the stadium tour a while back saying that if you were at the back of the broomloan now then you would have been pretty much the same distance from the pitch as you would have at the front of the old terracings, due to the cinder track and oval shape. Not sure whether that is accurate or not, but popped into my head when you said about being much closer to the action.

Would be good to see an overlay of the two layouts to confirm it/or not.

Post deffo. When full atmosphere was great but terracing was not great for seeing games unless over 6 feet tall

Old Ibrox was breathtaking as a wee boy in the 1950s, getting off the train from Central Station by the old Albion greyhound stadium, walking up the hill to the street, turning right and seeing the massive red brick exterior of the main stand. Getting lifted over the turnstile, walking up the huge stairs to the terracing and seeing the pitch. Hearing the enormous roar as The Rangers ran out of the tunnel on to the pitch made your heart swell. In those days the teams came out separately and Rangers were always second on the pitch so the opposition could hear that roar. You don’t get that now as the teams walk out together. I think that dampens the atmosphere.

Post - ageing a little but still an amazing stadium when full and jumping. Pre was also great in its era. Just glad we don’t have a dump like the piggery.

Pre 78 for me, loved being there and getting sausage rolls and chewing gum out of cardboard box....... ahh memories

The centre of the Rangers End about half way up, it will never be bettered. A scarf round your neck, one on each wrist (for younger Bears, one was blue & white and the other red and white) and a QPR/blue & white hooped rugby shirt. Highwaisters, docs and a Hairbear bunch haircut. Those were the days :)

Post.
Big games great atmosphere in the shed /Copland, run of the mill games 25,000 rattling around in a ground that had held almost 120,000. I think the vastness remembered is exaggerated. The Centenary Stand floodlights were lower than the bottom of the roofs of the new stands and the terraces were smaller than Hampden"s. You also had the same problem as Hampden as being too far away from the far away goal and could be too low down. You also always seemed to be stuck behind someone taller than you, even me at 6ft.My mate is 5ft5 and he really struggled to see at big games (no pun)

Only experienced the old one once. Wish my dad had told me to take it all in as it was to be my only time there. Hardly remember it except walking up in awe and seeing the Rangers FC tiling on the main stand.

Back