Ibrox, post or pre ‘78?

Not old enough to say pre 78 but old enough to miss standing in both enclosures,really was the place to be when place was rocking.

Very much post 78 for me, but if we had unlimited funds I’d join the Copland and Broomloan to the SJ and add a third tier all the way round. With the capacity increased I’d then re-model the interior of the Main Stand to provide standing facilities in the enclosures, more legroom in Main and Clubdeck and sort out the restricted vision problems.

Okay, not going to happen anytime soon but we can dream!

Pre 78 for me, dont like sitting watching football and the seats at Ibrox (main stand) dont have enough legroom for me.Always sit at a weird angle cos my knees & shins get battered everytime the guy in front of me moves in his seat

I'm glad I'm old enough to have experienced both, pre 1978 was a stunning sight when you first saw it, just so vast.
After the rebuild I was an East Enclosure fan but after sitting in the stands I was a convert.
I understand why loads of fans want safe standing brought in, I loved standing when I was younger.

Anybody wanting to stand on the terracing with piss flowing down the steps is off their head. A sort of comfy seat and easy access to toilets is ideal for me. Right enough,I'm too old to stand for 2 hours and find it difficult doing the bouncy any more. Old age has its drawbacks. Still remember going to all the away games before all seating and Ibrox Stadium was luxury compared to all the other grounds especially the middens without concrete steps. I remember the black ash steps and the dust clouds at hampden when we scored after they put the cover up at "our end" the west terracing. You were coughing briquettes for days.

Pre 78 was great to experience but post Ibrox is better. Have to agree with many posters about the enclosures, it was much better when terracing.
Maybe safe standing should be there.
Make sense to me.
Best season ticket I had was east enclosure terrace.

Post 78 for me but would've loved to have shared the old copland road experience with my son

Never forget the half-time score on the low wall of the Copland for the 1971 LCF.

PT 4 v 0 poets. Said to my cousin, they've mixed up the scores, but hey-ho.

I've only known Ibrox from the 90s onwards but its always weird seeing it with the multi coloured seats in the 80s.

Pre 78 climbing the railway sleepers used as fencing between the Rangers end and the Centenary stand and walking through the undergrowth to the away end to watch the second half.

Pre 78 climbing the railway sleepers used as fencing between the Rangers end and the Centenary stand and walking through the undergrowth to the away end to watch the second half.

The "away end" :D Scaredy Cat!! Go on, call it by the name that was used at the time.

Post. People are remembering the old stadium with rose tinted glasses. It could be great, but could also be murder if it was either cold or not too busy.

With a bit more money the stadium can be back to its best. The new energy brought by Steven Gerard has got it back to an atmosphere befitting our great club.
Remember bonfires being lit at the Copland rd end in winter to keep warm

Ibrox with the differant coloured seats for me, also hate that fucking clubdeck. Too me it was a vanity project by murray loved the press box and the old floodlights on the main stand

Given the choice, which would you prefer?

I'm somewhere in between. Pre ‘78, but completely covered & proper seating in the centenary stand.
Spent many a Saturday among 20,000 watching. Believe me when I say standing among the rivers of piss on big crowd days was not great.
For younger viewers many many cans of beer were taken into the ground and many chose to open up said cans when empty to then piss into. Said piss was then poured down the terracing.

Pre 1973 for me, before they put bench seating in the north enclosure and called it the Centenary Stand.
Apart from reducing the capacity it meant that the ‘old derry’ had to move into the Copland end of the Stadium, and for me personally it wasn’t the same.

Post 78 definitely
Used to sit on the really crap benches in the 'Centenery Stand'
Had a choice of tens of seats due to the minimal crowds. However the joy of watching Mr. Jardine and Tommy McLean working their magic sort of made up for the lack of crowds, atmosphere, success etc.
Never had to bother with ST's or having much bother getting tickets for away or cup games right enough.
Been going since Colin Stein signed so excuse old git rantings (8 goals in his 1st three games if I recall correctly)

Ibrox with the differant coloured seats for me, also hate that fucking clubdeck. Too me it was a vanity project by murray loved the press box and the old floodlights on the main stand
From my ST seat in CD5 I still admire the engineering excellence. Extrapolate the the extra revenue ogenerated since 1992/3 Vs your 'love' of a press box that would now be filled with people most of us would ban from being any where near the famous old ground.

Last edited:
Pre 78 for me. At least when it was cold you could move about to warm up. I'm getting on a bit but I felt Sunday was the coldest I've felt at Ibrox since I sat in the Centenary stand (the only time) at a game v Clydebank in Jan '78.
I said that to the Mrs when I got home on Sunday night. Standing in the cold is much better than sitting on a plastic seat.

Post, for obvious reasons. Imagine standing there when it’s absolutely freezing and pouring down. No thanks, would rather the stadium we have right now.

However it would be amazing to experience Derry’s Grace in real life.

I always preferred standing. I'm pre 78 to a point, but always wondered how good it would have been if it was closed in like it is today, without the running track.

Ideally I'd love to see the front of the copland,broomloan and govan all terracing, but I know that will never happen.

Great atmosphere under the cover across from main stand in the sixties before they put the seating in the Centenary Stand!
However you needed a brolly if you walked from west side to the east terracing round the back!

Spent many a Saturday among 20,000 watching. Believe me when I say standing among the rivers of piss on big crowd days was not great.
For younger viewers many many cans of beer were taken into the ground and many chose to open up said cans when empty to then piss into. Said piss was then poured down the terracing.
Christ almighty. :))

Crazy stuff.
The cans were not ring pull, but opened with a separate opening/piercing tool. To open the can to pour two holes were made on oppose side of the can but once empty the same tool was used to cut around the can to open it up. This left a ring of very sharp edges. Hard to believe that more than a few did not incur injuries while relieving them selves.. :(

The old Ibrox was vast. It could take 72,000 easily but still had concrete terrace gaps at the edges. What a lot of fans don't realise is that other than Celtic games, Scottish Cup games, big European games and games against Hearts, Hibs and maybe Aberdeen, or a if a Dundee or the likes was doing well, then our attendances were doing well to be in the late 20,000's to early 30,000's.

Many think that the low attendances were only during the Greig management era and the ground redevelopment at the same time, but that was not the case.

It surprised me when I saw the attendances, but it was not until that magnificent bastard Souness turned up that we started filling the stadium every other week.

Celtic had similar indifferent attendances until the 1980's.

Back