Ideas for World Cup based competitions.

PunkScott

My work is looking for ways to use the World Cup to try and get colleagues to have a little bit of "fun" by having contests with small prizes.

We've already got sweeps sorted (Denmark ffs...)

I was thinking things like:

Score predictions for England games, those correct go into a hat.
Guess the countries in the final
Golden Boot Winner.
Total competition goals

I'm looking for a few more suggestions, nothing that involves too much Football knowledge preferably. They are free to enter so no complicated gambling either.

Last edited:
Dirtiest team(fnarr)

Total number of penalty shootouts

Nation to have player sent home in controversy(interesting one this since the Netherlands haven’t qualified :D)

A sweeper to guess the correct scores of the all group games , I know an amateur team that done that to make some cash , you'd be surprised how many you get wrong.

If your work is really good, get them to allow you to bring 10 cases of lager and a PS4 with FIFA in and have a tournament.
(Although I think even Google with David Brent in charge might be difficult to get this one by)

Best player gets Panama mind.

Done this one for my work. If it's any good, help yersel:)
2ivbei0.jpg

A competition I run is the teams in groups according to FIFA rankings. So you have 8 groups of 4 teams. Everyone picks one out of each group( it does not matter if people pick the same team as you rarely get someone with the same 8 teams) Everyone then has 8 teams and you get 5 points for each goal scored, 3 points deducted for each goal conceded. EG If your team wins 3-2 that is 9points (3x5-2x3), 5 points for a clean sheet but only if your team scores. So 0-0 gets no points. It has went down to the final for the last Euro and last World Cup. If Germany had not conceded 1 goal against Brazil then I would have won but I got runner-up. We got everyone to put in a fiver and split the money for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Simple to set up a spreadsheet to score it. Good fun and it keeps interest going right till the end.

Depends how in depth you want to go, but you could do a predictor for the whole tournament.

My dad’s work does it, basically everyone gets a sheet with all the group games to predict the scores (2pts for correct result, 5 for correct score)
Then you predict the last 16 teams (5pts for each correct one), quarter finalists (6pts) semi finalists (7pts) finalists (8pts)
10pts for tournament winners and 10pts for correct top goalscorer.

Fiver to enter, winner gets 60% of the pot, 30% for 2nd and 10% for 3rd.

A sweeper to guess the correct scores of the all group games , I know an amateur team that done that to make some cash , you'd be surprised how many you get wrong.
We're doing that in the bar with our RSC, quite a good game and anybody can probably win so even non footie fans can have a go. I'd say you'd be surprised at how few you get right!!! If anybody wants a template I can email ours.

We're doing a points system at work. Each person has been randomly assigned a player and a team. 10 points if your player scores and 5 if your team scores.

We used the top 10 players and top 10 teams (taken from betting odds for top scorer and winner).
I've got Germany and Cavani. Could have been worse!

I'm running a predictor in my place. Folk just pick the scores for each game and the app does the work for us - I.e. get so many points for a correct result, more points if it's correct score etc. Also reminds you to make your picks before the games

Means that everyone is in with a shout right up to the final and not pretty much out of the running if you get a shit team in the sweep.

The easy one to do is name the 2 finalists, as it runs for the length of the tournament ( obviously). Use the total number of goals scored as a tie breaker in the event of more than 1 winner.

Back