If anyone is bored enough, cm01/02!

Downloaded this the other day along with the March 2020 update. Only then did i realise that this was my first manager game back in the day! Lol.

Because iv been playing FM every year since 2011 i just cant get into this now :(

Loved it but I was hopeless tactically. Very much in the Warburton style of, if things aren't going well, make a sub on 60 mins and hope he can change things.

If anyone has a decent tactics guide I might get back into it!

To Madeira
Mark Kerr
Kim Kallstrom
Julius Aghahowa - a sublime player. Once got over £40 million selling him on to Barcelona.
Anelka - you can usually get him quite cheaply because he hands in a transfer request at PSG a season or two in
If you can afford him, Ronaldinho. Sometimes you can get him for about £20 million. If you have a decent enough team and sign him you're practically guaranteed CL titles.
John Terry can usually be bought for no more than £10 million.

Some of the coaches at the club when you begin a new game have pretty poor stats. If you buy the above players it's also important to have decent coaches to improve them. Sack some of the coaches who are already there and look to hire coaches who have 18+ ratings for Coaching Outfield Players, Man Management and Motivating.

I once got to around 2020 on one save. I'd won about six CL titles in a row and fifteen league titles. Made massive money from CL prize money and selling on the likes of Aghahowa. The monthly interest the club was earning was far more than its total outgoings! We were by far the richest club in the world and could sign anyone. The Mhanks had long been relegated! They sold Larsson and Mutton after a season or two. O'Feel got sacked as I kept winning the title and they never really recovered.

At that stage in the game, 2020, it's quite interesting because all of the original players have long retired so the game spawns its own fictional ones to replace them. A lot of my Rangers side had been brought through the academy and some were world class, full of 20s.

Last edited:
Mark Kerr visited my work a couple of years ago to drop off tickets and do a Q & A with pupils. Felt a bit start struck.

If I've got the right year I assume everyone is signing Taribo West on free immediately? I would recommend Vincenzo Montella, Martin Palermo and Javier Saviola if your bank balance stretches to it.

I think it was a genuine thing with contracts, due to European law for a short period. Players could walk away from a contract half way through and the club only had to pay up the remainder of the contract. I think the only player to ever do it was a certain Andy Webster.
Believe it’s still a thing. It’s actually called the Webster ruling and Barcelona are supposedly going to do that to try and get Neymar

Thought i saw a thread on here last night saying you could download an up to date squad update for this. If that is possible I might give it a go.
I would just buy all the same players I had first time round otherwise.

Anyone tried to burn it to disc for a technophobe friend yet?

Just a case of burning the files from the zip to a blank disc?

It's on the cm site where you download it from. The instructions are on a few of the videos.

I downloaded it last week and it has been killing the time a bit, used to love the manager game and bought it every year up until this year. Been bored with it for a good few years as its too time consuming with too much detail. Been a waste of money buying it and this old favourite is lightning fast with the updated players, sorted.

Downloaded it yesterday. Failed to win anything in my first season although did come top of my CL group with Arsenal, Barca and Nantes.

2nd season, Walter becomes their manager ffs! Did beat him 3-0 in the first OF though so maybe he's doing some undercover work.

In bed yesterday - spent 13 hours on 2 seaaons.

League and cup double with us in the first year without too many team changes.

2nd year a clean sweep including the champions league.

The Mrs wants it gone as soon as I feel better. I'm inclined to agree or we'll be homeless :))

Used to love using the game editor...would put Rangers in the English league setup and rise through the leagues (usually with a massive cash injection [I think the limit was £999,999,999].

Taking over at Celtic and releasing all of the first team squad then paying massive fees for League 1 players was also very satisfying! Usually got sacked pretty rapidly but, hey ho, by that point my work was done...
giphy.gif

What is the best software, and free, to use too get this too work on Mac? You need to pay for crossover

I'm going to give this a go. I tried the free trial of fm2020 but there is way too much involved in training and speaking to media etc. for my liking.

I spent way too much time last night trying to get that download to work - pain in the ass, have given up, couldn’t get the screen resolution correct despite trying all the tricks, should be easier to install - good luck anyone giving it a go.

If anyone has a decent tactics guide I might get back into it!
4-3-1-2 is the way to go.

- 2 centre halves
- 2 wing backs
- 1 sitting midfielder
- 2 central midfielders
- 1 attacking midfielder
- 2 strikers

Mentality - Attacking
Passing - Short
Tackling - Hard
Pressing - Yes
Offside Trap - Yes

In ‘without ball’ - click on each square and make your defensive line high.

4-3-1-2 is the way to go.

- 2 centre halves
- 2 wing backs
- 1 sitting midfielder
- 2 central midfielders
- 1 attacking midfielder
- 2 strikers

Mentality - Attacking
Passing - Short
Tackling - Hard
Pressing - Yes
Offside Trap - Yes

In ‘without ball’ - click on each square and make your defensive line high.

The best tactic I've found was always 4-1-3-2 with one sitting midfielder (Fabio Liverani was exceptional at this), three CMs all with arrows taking them to attacking mid and two strikers. My issue was more how to change things when it's not going well so I'd have nightmares for example in Europe if I went 2-0 down. Beyond changing the attacking mentality and bringing on subs I never had a clue what to do.

There is freeware knocking about mate. I downloaded it a year or two ago.

Favourite manager game of all time.

The very limited sound effects were quite nostalgic as well.

Never managed to make a successful ‘bung’:))

Pretty sure there was also a bug in the game where you could edit an opposing club’s transfer bid to £99,999,999. If not it may have been CM01/02.

What you could do in CM though was add a a player 2 as manager of another club and then use that club to make bids for ridiculous amounts for players at you're own club.

I'm going to give this a go. I tried the free trial of fm2020 but there is way too much involved in training and speaking to media etc. for my liking.

Yip not got the patience for that. My mate has taken Stockport to the premier league. 6 months he's been at it. Most of his players are still at league 2/vanarama rating cos he's never had money to upgrade them and probably went up the leagues too quickly, yet he's now challenging the epl top 4, all because he manages to keep his player morale high. Load of p!sh

You can delegate all those tasks to your backroom staff so you don’t need to do them btw

Back