If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
I voted “No” purely as I think he’s worth at least double that if an EPL side want to come looking for him.

Rather than putting a specific figure on it, the question being asked would have been better as simply, if we receive an offer the club deem acceptable, do we sell?

We need to be realistic and sadly, I’d say we need to sell so the money can be reinvested in the squad. Yes, we absolutely want to build on having Butland as our keeper, but the rebuild is too large and we could use that money elsewhere.

Given his performances in previous games v Celtic, there is an argument that McCrorie would be more than good enough for the bread and butter of the league. We could then spend the cash elsewhere in the squad and revisit the goalkeeper position further down the line.

Unfortunately we can’t hang on to everyone we want to while also bringing in loads of new players.

I appreciate that mate, but you can never predict the future. He could easily end up with a long term injury or just a complete dip in form.

If you had told me that we would get no money for Alfie when he was at his peak I'd have thought you were mental.

We need to start making serious profit on players on a regular basis.
I don't see how the post you replied to was predicting the future, it was stating the facts.

I agree that we need to make profit on player trading on a regular basis, but that is not an easy thing to do especially when we demand a winning team on the park.

Not a chance, don't think I even would for double that. Goalkeeper is the most important postion in football IMO and Butland is too good to let go.

We rejected more in January.

Ultimately, we don’t need a Jack Butland to win the league and a good fee would go a long way. However, I’d be wanting more than £10m. Think it’s one of those where he’s more valuable to us, than what he’s actually worth to other teams.

If it was take or leave it, then I’d probably take it.
No we didn't. It was confirmed as a £5m offer

We rejected more in January.

Ultimately, we don’t need a Jack Butland to win the league and a good fee would go a long way. However, I’d be wanting more than £10m. Think it’s one of those where he’s more valuable to us, than what he’s actually worth to other teams.

If it was take or leave it, then I’d probably take it.
Can you please explain why we don't need a player that saves us 5,6,7 points a season?

Can you please explain why we don't need a player that saves us 5,6,7 points a season?
Are there no other goalkeepers out there?

I like Butland, although his form dipped a fair bit since the England stuff.

I just think for the money we could get, we could replace him and not see too much of a drop off whilst improving the team.

He’s a good goalie, not a superman that is absolutely necessary for us to win the league.

I’d rather he stayed, better the devil you know and all that but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable, and the money could strengthen other areas whilst replacing him

We do but we also need a lot of money to fix other areas of the team. No point keeping Butland and then moaning we can't do anything about other areas of the pitch.

Ideally Butland stays but he's our most sellable asset so he needs to go.

We do but we also need a lot of money to fix other areas of the team. No point keeping Butland and then moaning we can't do anything about other areas of the pitch.

Ideally Butland stays but he's our most sellable asset so he needs to go.
Is he really our most sellable asset?

And even if he is, he doesn't need to go.

But I’m just asking the simple point, if you expect clubs to pay £20 million for him why didn’t the same clubs buy him when he was free?
Because they’re retards to put it bluntly. Their inability to see what’s right in front of their face isn’t my concern. In a market where Fabio silva is worth 35m an in demand Jack Butland is easily worth 20.

I remember all this patter before with Alfie and Kent. Double it then we'll talk or f**k off. Roll on a couple of years and the same guys are going barking mad because they left for nothing. So my question is, what's it to be? Get as good a deal as we can or let them hang on and leave for free.

Fair play if you think we were his only or most attractive offer, a rare win for our scouting department, I suppose.

Or you're also a moron who can't put up a counter argument
Ah yes, resorting to name calling of someone you don't even know.
Usually a sign of an argument lost :)

Might not seem much of a difference from the OP's £10m but I think anything over £12m and Jack will be on his way back South.

No good keepers are worth their weight in gold.
We now need to build from the little part of the stable core that we have and Butland would be our captain next season in my book.
We could easily get and waste £10m.We will find it hard to get another Butland. We really struck it lucky getting him imo.

Unless PC has a huge amount of faith in Robbie McCrorie, it would then mean starting from scratch to find a replacement.

What would be the point?

At 10 Million, I'd say no, I think he's worth more than that, even though we got him on a free. The thing is if he was in the Englsh Championship he'd be double that. At the end of the day, it all depends on the boy's present contract regarding a release clause, it could all be down to whether he wants to go. There's no doubt however there's likely to be a lot of interest in him, if it's a good deal for the boy and for us, I'd be sorry to see him go, but good luck to him.

Of course we should. Maybe a little more.

We can’t get a model of buy low, sell high if it only includes players we don’t like

I think if we were truly offended £16 million for Moreles he would have been sold in a heartbeat

As much as we love our players, if we want to be sustainable and buy players, we are going to have to sell. I'm torn over Butlins tho as he's someone we can build a spine with

Playing in the SL is a hinderence thigh, the scum sold Van Dijk and Frimpong for £24 million combined. A couple of years later the were valued at nearly over £120 million

The league we play in dictates the value, just like Sweden, Denmark and even Holland to a certain extent
The Lille president was on radio saying that they offered €17m I’m sure.

Regarding Butland, £10m and sold for me. Good goalie but if we are to get serious about a player trading model then getting £10m for a guy in his 30s who you got for free is exactly what we should be doing.

If a good offer comes in it might come down to how much covets a place on the England bench over everything he has at Rangers.

No. I very much doubt we'll can replace like for like and Butland is not only one of our best and most valuable assets, in a business sense, he is also one of the most important players we put on the pitch.

Butland is quality. Keep quality and build on it.

Thing is we can't turn down 10 million, that's not enough but it would fund 2/3 players. The right negotiations of that and a player perhaps.

Not a chance he's going across Glasgow for that money, double it

Love Butland but we have to be realistic and take the money. It gets us a replacement for him and a an another player. Possibly a couple of other players.

We’d need to fork out £3m plus for a new keeper so you’re talking about selling him for circa £6m to spend on probably 2 players and hope a new keeper works out. For £15m plus then fair enough.

It also depends if he wants away

£20 million would put him just outside the top 10 most expensive goalkeepers in history. He's playing in the SPL, that's absolute dreaming. Especially when he's played in the EPL for years, his age and we got him for free a year ago

There's absolutely no chance we would get offered £20 million. Realistically £10 million would be a massive offer
Rumours are that Newcastle are looking at getting Ramsdale for about £15 million. If there's any truth in that then there's no way we'll get more than £10 million for Butland I'm afraid.

Would be great if we could keep our best and sell the rest, but we really need money for a rebuild, yet again

doubt if we would get half that amount he's up here because no one wanted to sign him in England

Really wouldn't want Jack to go he's been superb for us, but if we were to get 15m where we.can re invest in another GK plus 3/4 other players it is going to have to be a must.

We need to trade like this to beat ffp now as we aren't going to be allowed to spunk 20+m on a rebuild without a fair portion of it coming from sales.

Great Rangers teams have always been built from the goalkeeper right up through the spine of the team and Butland has easily been our best performer this season so why the rush to sell him?
I would rather make him Captain and build our new team around him.

I suspect we'd take around £12m tbh.

Mental that Onana went for ridiculous money and Butland is a better keeper (ok might be a little biased).

The ONLY player who has been Rangers quality consistently all season. I will hate to see him go. Under 20 Mill would be selling him short.

Back