If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
If Butland does leave then it truly is now or never for McCrorie. If he can’t break into the first team then it’s probably time for him to move on for the sake of his own career.

Mitov does look excellent when you watch the St Johnstone highlights but I don’t see enough of him to know if his all round game and his mentality makes him suitable to be a Rangers No1.

Goalkeeper related but I seen Celtic are linked with the Wolfsburg goalkeeper this morning to replace Joe Hart. Don't no much about the German league though.

The boy at Aberdeen looks pretty decent as does the St Johnstone keeper.
I would think Phil will have his eyes on someone in Belgium though

How can we expect to close the gap if we sell
our best player after a season? Based on our track record for transfers I dread to think how potential funds will be re invested.
We might as well pack up and go home if that's the case. If Clement and Koppen can't pick a player what hope is there?

End of the day, we won't win anything with a decent keeper and a bunch of dross in front of him. He's a sellable asset with (hopefully) a decent profit to be realised.

He should be kept but with the best will in the world we aren't in a position to do that either financially or in squad depth terms.

If Butland does leave then it truly is now or never for McCrorie. If he can’t break into the first team then it’s probably time for him to move on for the sake of his own career.

Mitov does look excellent when you watch the St Johnstone highlights but I don’t see enough of him to know if his all round game and his mentality makes him suitable to be a Rangers No1.
To be honest I would have said that's been and gone. Had an ageing McGregor in front of him for a season and then wasn't trusted to be No1 when he left.

Robbie needs to go and play somewhere. It won't be with us now

We were linked with the Belgium lad that Roofe scored against from the half way line.

I thought he looked good against us.

We keep reading about Butland being sold but for me we need to keep him another season to help win back the title, he can leave then and also leave a champion.

How can we expect to close the gap if we sell
our best player after a season? Based on our track record for transfers I dread to think how potential funds will be re invested.
And herein lies the problem with our support.

If there is any money to be made from Butland, it has to this year in my opinion.
Another year older into his 30's will dramatically reduce the fee that we could demand.
Yes there would be interest but for us it might be down to a couple of Mill max if we let him stay another year. Then you are weighing up a fee for a world class keeper against what you would need to fork out for somebody of lesser quality.
It is either that or make him Captain keep him forever, which wouldn't be a bad option.

The lad Dabrowski at Raith has been excellent this season, only 25 as well so plenty room for improvement, I'd like to see him brought in even as back up to Butland or another number 1 if it goes that way.
Potential to be incredible keeper
Heard from a Rovers mate that Hibs / Aberdeen had both tapped him up

If we push the boat out.... Vladan Kovacevic. But likely out of our price range since we were last linked. Other options Dominic Kotarski or Veljko Ilic, 2 outstanding younger goalkeepers definitely worth a look. I'd love to think McCrorie would get a crack at it. But realistically I can't see it happening.
He is living our dream but it is hurting his career

England naming their initial squad for the Euros later today. Rightly or wrongly, it'll put a few quid on SJB's value if he's named in the squad.

Potential to be incredible keeper
Heard from a Rovers mate that Hibs / Aberdeen had both tapped him up
He’s about to turn 26 and was at Hibs until a year ago without ever really playing. Stranger things have happened but I’d be surprised if he reached our level, although admittedly you’ll have watched him far more than I have.

England naming their initial squad for the Euros later today. Rightly or wrongly, it'll put a few quid on SJB's value if he's named in the squad.

Is it this....

Before Euro's - £10,000,000
Picked for Euros - £10,000,005
Not Picked for Euros - £9,999,995 ?

10 or 12 plus then he has to go, we have made this mistake several times with players at their perceived market peak for us. We have a great track record with goalkeepers so it’s a position I am less concerned with us filling should he leave.

I voted NO specifically as a reply to the £10m figure because as a number of others have said we would probably have to use a significant proportion on a replacement.
However we are going to have to get used to recognising that with a player trading model those with money will come for the best players not the others we want away. Mind you maybe there’s something in losing the best considering that Dortmund lose Haa’land then Bellingham and then advance to the CL final.

A couple of considerations
What is super Jacks thoughts ?
He may want to go. In that case 10 m is fair as it would be wrong to force him to stay against his will after what he has done for us.
Another is we are historically not very good at maximising our players values with the odd exception and any club buying from us knows we need the cash so will obviously lowball us.

Whoever they are, I fear they'd be a downgrade on Butland but hopefully I'm proved wrong. I'd be asking for a massive keeper that's a good shot stopper and comes for cross balls. Good with his feet is a bonus.
Butland should be in the England Squad, pretty much any keeper we replace him with will be a downgrade.

McCrorie will be a perennial back up or will move on. No-one in Scotland I'd take as a No. 1 and the English market is ridiculously over-inflated, so hopefully we've identified a replacement from the continent if JB moves on.

I'd be happy with McCrorie, who has Old Firm and European experience.

McCrorie would struggle to be number 1 elsewhere in this league never mind Ibrox.

I think Butland will go so we can’t get this wrong.

Where is the 21 million coming from?

He's definitely going I'd say and tbh I'm ok with it. 15 million minimum and use it to build a team capable of delivering what we want. We've always been pretty lucky with GKs so hopefully that can continue

I’m actually amazed he hasn’t had a job since Man Utd. Maybe still asking for funny money because I thought another EPL team would have snapped him up.
I’d be over the moon with him but I don’t see it happening.

McCrorie has waited long enough. If Butland goes he should get the chance. Some of the names mentioned I have never heard of. We are always complaining about the boys from the Academy not getting an opportunity yet when that presents itself the same people don’t want that to happen. When Klos was injured McLeish brought in Wattereus. Good keeper who was OK but short term only. Le Guen brought in Letitzi (nicknamed Let it in) who was a disaster. Walter immediately installed McGregor despite claims “he isnae good enough” by many. I read today that Newcastle have been quoted £35M for a Georgian goalkeeper. And some on here say £10M for Butland would be good. Get real!

If he was a young keeper we got from England at 17 rather than a fan who made the grade no one would say he deserves his chance
Were you not impressed with the games he played? He got MOTM in his old firm debut and deservedly so. He is more than capable of stepping up. If we let him go we will regret it.

Back