If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
I think if we were truly offended £16 million for Moreles he would have been sold in a heartbeat
We had a £20m valuation, and weren’t used to having to negotiate for player sales so ultimately played the wrong hand with that by not caving.

The Lille Chairman himself said they offered it.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

I think if we were truly offended £16 million for Moreles he would have been sold in a heartbeat

As much as we love our players, if we want to be sustainable and buy players, we are going to have to sell. I'm torn over Butlins tho as he's someone we can build a spine with

Playing in the SL is a hinderence thigh, the scum sold Van Dijk and Frimpong for £24 million combined. A couple of years later the were valued at nearly over £120 million

The league we play in dictates the value, just like Sweden, Denmark and even Holland to a certain extent
The Lille chairman confirmed they'd bid £16m.

I can't believe there are still people who fail to acknowledge this.

We had a £20m valuation, and weren’t used to having to negotiate for player sales so ultimately played the wrong hand with that by not caving.

The Lille Chairman himself said they offered it.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

If true, that's absolutely insane considering he left for nothing. Bought for £1 million. Massive profit lost

I'm sure I read we got offered £12 from Leeds for Kent as well. Again not sure if it's true so don't want to accuse the board of turning it down. In saying that if they did get offered that money for both, they would never admit it as it would be a massive blunder on their part

Last edited:
Any player trading model needs a strong pipeline of players ready to step up next. Do we have that with goalies? God knows we don’t have it with outfield players.

If we have the pipeline, we can sell for reasonable prices. If not, we can only sell when there’s an offer we can’t refuse.

What a waste of the past 2 years, but we desperately need to get our scouting system sorted.

Any where near 10 million and he will be sold,reality time

It's a really tough one for the board. As fans want him to stay but at the last three or four AGMs the board have been constantly talking about the player trading model.

It depends on the size of the rebuild Clement feels he needs

We should get much more than £10m for him. It was stated there's possibly a bid of £21m for him and if we're offered that type of money we have to sell.

We 100% need to accept the right bid for him if it comes in but £10M is barely just double figures. Needs to be at least another few million plus add ons or something before we accept.

He is fantastic but unfortunately he is our most sellable asset and we need a big squad turnover and rebuild. 15-20 mill profit in a year is exactly what our trading model aspires to.

Whisper it, but he’s not as good as he’s been made out to be.

A bright spot in a bad season, absolutely but also let in some bad ones.

I’d be looking for £20m. If I’m honest I don’t think he’s worth that but it would an EPL team signing him and they pay over the value constantly and clubs have paid a lot more for worse than Butland.

I think he will still be here next year. I have a feeling the FFP sanctions have spooked EPL teams, I can see it being slow, fewer players coming into the EPL and lower fees in general this summer.

Any player trading model needs a strong pipeline of players ready to step up next. Do we have that with goalies? God knows we don’t have it with outfield players.

If we have the pipeline, we can sell for reasonable prices. If not, we can only sell when there’s an offer we can’t refuse.

What a waste of the past 2 years, but we desperately need to get our scouting system sorted.

Player trading model isn't about having players to step up it's buy cheap then sell high

That's where they are streets ahead just now. They are still living off the Van Dijk sale and now Frimpong.

A lot of it depends on how the player do when they leave. We need Bassey to turn out to be a top player. You need it do develop a reputation. Look at Ajax

We should be listening to offers with the intent of selling but I think 10m is selling ourselves short.

Butland is a good keeper but not an all round keeper we've had in the past. £10m would be a good deal.
I think he's actually good all round keeper

But he will do most right and in this game its what you need

But I don't think he could pull out saves like garam,klos and mcgregor did those special ones

Reactions: VMS
Double the 10 and we talk but would rather he stayed and built a team around him and make him captain

Whisper it, but he’s not as good as he’s been made out to be.

A bright spot in a bad season, absolutely but also let in some bad ones.
That's very harsh. He's pulled off far more saves than he's let in. There's been a couple but that's it. I feel he should have done a lot better for Idahs goal as if positioning was way off. There's been a couple of others but in the whole he's been absolutely superb

It's a really tough one for the board. As fans want him to stay but at the last three or four AGMs the board have been constantly talking about the player trading model.

It depends on the size of the rebuild Clement feels he needs
Total rebuild that will take more than one window

Goalkeepers are the backbone of your team, especially when you have a good one. Butland is near irreplaceable for us

In my opinion the “trading model” doesn’t apply to goalkeepers. They can single handedly steal you games and win points.

If you sell Butland for £10m and spend say £3m on his replacement, what are the chances that he’ll be anywhere near as good? Very slim if you ask me.

That's very harsh. He's pulled off far more saves than he's let in. There's been a couple but that's it. I feel he should have done a lot better for Idahs goal as if positioning was way off. There's been a couple of others but in the whole he's been absolutely superb
Shagger was better and his limit was Hull.

Latest posts

Back