If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
Of course you need to buy low and sell high, but you need to develop a pipeline of players over a number of years. With a player trading model you rarely just spot a player and sign him. That’s a bit hit and hope.

Some of those players will be first-team-ready, but most, like Frimpong for them and Bassey for us, they will take a year or so to nail down their place. So the player trading model does involve buying players to step up and replace the player in front of them on the conveyer belt - just like Ajax.

We have wasted years fucking about with no real transfer plan, no “model”, especially last summer when we got players who were “known” to Beale.

If it was just about buying low and selling high, anybody could do it. You need a pipeline ready to step up.

I totally agree that it helps when they do well after they leave.
I'm confused, are you talking about buying young players from other clubs like Bassey and Frimpong for them or about our youth team? If our player trading model is dependent on our youth team we will be waiting a while. In the past 20 years we have produced two real quality players - Ferguson and Gilmore. We simply cannot depend on our young Scottish players, the quality just isn't there

If his outfield team members hadn’t shat the bed in the last month or so we wouldn’t even be thinking about this. Makes me furious as he should be the foundation we build on

People have actually voted for selling him for ten.

Are yous fucking nuts!?

Any good team is built from the back. Starting with the keeper. We literally would not get anybody even close to his ability within our budget.

20 mil gets you a conversation about it. Not a ha’penny less and that’s solely because that could fund an entire new squad.

Fucking sell for ten!? We got him on a free so we’ve just to give him away cheap to mega money English tourist trap clubs? Give yourselves a shake!
Oh behave!

Kyogo at Ibrox was some finish for me, on the volley.

I can’t remember any of the Ross County goals as I watched it in Benidorm on a stag do :))

Regardless I still think we’d struggle to replace him and for me, selling him for £10m i a hard no.

If we’re accepting gifting Kyogo goals from 35 yards at Ibrox then we’re completely fucked.

Maybe it just me that's mad, 10m for our best performer this season by a street. Start the bidding at 30m not a penny less. As things stand, i find it unbelievable that he couldn't get a game in the Prem. its not like there are keepers of his standard at every club.

I would start at the beginning. Also best not to try and be a smart arse, it’s not you.
Do you really need contract situations explained? Any footballer without one is "worth nothing".

I can repeat why someone on the brink of an England squad who will start the next tournament as favourites is worth millions of pounds if you want.

Do you really need contract situations explained? Any footballer without one is "worth nothing".

I can repeat why someone on the brink of an England squad who will start the next tournament as favourites is worth millions of pounds if you want.
Young man, going by that rather short on detail reply I’d suggest I’ve forgot more about contacts than you’ll ever know. Dear oh dear.

Take the money and run, great business but we really have to sacrifice and build a team who are going to win .. spend any money wisely

Butland going is a massive, massive inconvenience for us. As such an inconvenient sum would be what’s needed.

I realise the board and fans have different factors affecting their decision making but 10 million for a player of Butlands calibre is absolute buttons.
Careful with this one, he ain't the sharpest

We might have got him on a 'free' but the signing on fee we allegedly paid to him, that allowed us to sign him in the first place and put him within our wage structure - selling him for £10m is not making that much of a profit.

Butland will have offers in the summer. If he 100% wants to stay and have another crack at bringing the title home, we've got to keep him. If there's any doubts on his part, then we should sell.

I voted, "no", only as he's too important to let go, but those talking about £20+ million need to remember it's the fookin SPL he's just played one season in.

Butland has been or best player, but before us he's had two full seasons in the English Premiership for Stoke City... 2015/16, 2017/18 and less than 10 for Palace thereafter. If he was rated down south as a £20+ million player or even close, at least one club would have doubled/tripled what we offered in wages last year (even as a punt). If not England, then Europe.

Yeah, transfers are crazy down there, but with all the issues with financial fair play, clubs aren't paying (as)crazy money as they once were. That actually might make an offer of 10-12 million for him a prudent move by a club looking for a GK... plus they know our board would take it. Anyone thinking they'd hold out for more is deluded. That kind of money for a free transfer doesn't happen all to often in Scotland.

Anything north of £10m will be seriously considered by the board, thats the reality of it. We've got a rebuild to fund.

If we’re accepting gifting Kyogo goals from 35 yards at Ibrox then we’re completely fucked.
Mate watch it back again. It’s a volley from 25 yards max in a split second. Blame butland for that and you’re miles off it

I'm confused, are you talking about buying young players from other clubs like Bassey and Frimpong for them or about our youth team? If our player trading model is dependent on our youth team we will be waiting a while. In the past 20 years we have produced two real quality players - Ferguson and Gilmore. We simply cannot depend on our young Scottish players, the quality just isn't there
Where did I mention our youth team? We’re talking about a player trading model. Clearly I meant buying players to take over from players who are sold. Players who are sold need to be replaced by players who “step up”. In a player trading model you need a pipeline of players ready to step up. You told me it’s not about stepping up. I’m telling you it’s about buying low, stepping up and selling high.

Last edited:
We should sell Jack Butlant—whoever he is—and ensure we keep Jack Butland, the Rangers keeper.

In all seriousness, if you look at the disgust on his face yesterday, we might not get the choice. He looks ready to walk.

More than 1 and more than the number who wanted Butland. What's your point?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your earlier post.
Jack Butland was available for nothing less than a year ago because he was out of contract. Rangers was his best offer.

Killian Mbappe is out of contract so can leave PSG for no fee.
Every club in world football would take him if they could.

Why are you comparing the 2?

We rejected more in January.

Ultimately, we don’t need a Jack Butland to win the league and a good fee would go a long way. However, I’d be wanting more than £10m. Think it’s one of those where he’s more valuable to us, than what he’s actually worth to other teams.

If it was take or leave it, then I’d probably take it.
No we didn’t as it never even got as far as a fee. Butland knocked it on the head immediately. Don’t know the same can be said next time.

Our club has been built around great goalkeepers who have 'saved' us from draws, defeats and drubbings especially in the last few decades I.e Woods, Goram, Klos and McGregor et al spring to mind

Butland certainly seems a worthy candidate likely to join that group of Rangers goalkeepers. Ten million fee for him, absolutely not. We should build the new centre spine of our team around him like Souness projected with Woods, Butcher etc.

I won't pretend that I am one of those in know FF posters who regularly checks Tansfer-market etc and knows the value of transferred players but I have noticed that Onana is valued @ Man United @ 43 million pounds - Deary, Deary Me!

I.would be extremely disappointed if Butland is sold. If he has to go we start talking at 18 to 20 million pounds plus which seems to be the average cost of an average teams' keeper in the EPL.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your earlier post.
Jack Butland was available for nothing less than a year ago because he was out of contract. Rangers was his best offer.

Killian Mbappe is out of contract so can leave PSG for no fee.
Every club in world football would take him if they could.

Why are you comparing the 2?
Because someone said Butland was "worth nothing" on the basis that we never paid a transfer fee. There were various reports of Butland having offers down south last summer so we might have been his 'best' offer but almost certainly not his most lucrative one. I used Mbappe being OOC and therefore being "worth nothing" as an extreme example to highlight the stupidity of saying Butland was worth nothing last summer

Because someone said Butland was "worth nothing" on the basis that we never paid a transfer fee. There were various reports of Butland having offers down south last summer so we might have been his 'best' offer but almost certainly not his most lucrative one. I used Mbappe being OOC and therefore being "worth nothing" as an extreme example to highlight the stupidity of saying Butland was worth nothing last summer
If we weren't his "most lucrative one" I doubt he would be here.
Why else would he be here?
Who offered him better?
He's a great goalie but obviously his stock in England isn't very high.
I hope he stays but he'll be gone if we could possibly get 10m

No.

Question is. 'Does he want to leave?"
If he does.Then we might have to.
But I think our board will cash on our most valuable asset.
Regardless.

If we weren't his "most lucrative one" I doubt he would be here.
Why else would he be here?
Who offered him better?
He's a great goalie but obviously his stock in England isn't very high.
I hope he stays but he'll be gone if we could possibly get 10m
First team football. He'd been billed as a future England#1 as a teenager and was in danger of achieving zero, nil in his career by being a constant backup down south.

He had played 17 games since the end of 2019/20. I'm not his agent so don't know who offered him better but these EPL clubs have English produced goalkeepers in their squad primarily to meet their quota of homegrown players
Man City: Scott Carson
Arsenal: Aaron Ramsdale
Manchester Utd: Tom Heaton ( also rumours that they would have kept Butland after having him for 2022/23)
Newcastle: Nick Pope / Mark Gillespie
Brighton: Jason Steele
Tottenham: Fwather Forthter
Brentford: Ellery Balcombe
Crystal Palace: Sam Johnstone/ Dean Henderson/Remi Matthews
Chelsea: Marcus Bettinelli
Wolves: Dan Bentley/Tom King
West Ham: Joseph Anang
Nottingham Forest: Wayne Hennessey
Everton: Jordan Pickford/Andy Lonergan/Billy Crelan
Burnley: James Trafford/Lawrence Vigoroux/Arijanet Muric
Sheff Utd: Adam Davies/Wes Foderingham/
Luton: James Shea/ Tim Krul/
Do you think all those clubs believe they have better goalkeepers than Butland and wouldn't have afforded his wages?

His stock in England is obviously high enough for their national manager to come and watch him play unless you think he was watching Tav and Goldson (he wasn't in case you weren't sure)

15m is the minimum we should be looking for. Anything less isn't worth it for us.

First team football. He'd been billed as a future England#1 as a teenager and was in danger of achieving zero, nil in his career by being a constant backup down south.

He had played 17 games since the end of 2019/20. I'm not his agent so don't know who offered him better but these EPL clubs have English produced goalkeepers in their squad primarily to meet their quota of homegrown players
Man City: Scott Carson
Arsenal: Aaron Ramsdale
Manchester Utd: Tom Heaton ( also rumours that they would have kept Butland after having him for 2022/23)
Newcastle: Nick Pope / Mark Gillespie
Brighton: Jason Steele
Tottenham: Fwather Forthter
Brentford: Ellery Balcombe
Crystal Palace: Sam Johnstone/ Dean Henderson/Remi Matthews
Chelsea: Marcus Bettinelli
Wolves: Dan Bentley/Tom King
West Ham: Joseph Anang
Nottingham Forest: Wayne Hennessey
Everton: Jordan Pickford/Andy Lonergan/Billy Crelan
Burnley: James Trafford/Lawrence Vigoroux/Arijanet Muric
Sheff Utd: Adam Davies/Wes Foderingham/
Luton: James Shea/ Tim Krul/
Do you think all those clubs believe they have better goalkeepers than Butland and wouldn't have afforded his wages?

His stock in England is obviously high enough for their national manager to come and watch him play unless you think he was watching Tav and Goldson (he wasn't in case you weren't sure)

15m is the minimum we should be looking for. Anything less isn't worth it for us.
No one could fault you for effort :)

I doubt the lending bid(s) will reach £10m but on the assumption they do, I'd reject.

Simply because Rangers will be able to sign a GK anywhere near as good under the current circumstances or immediate future.

It's a unique and crucial position in the team. For once we got it right.

Madness to sell.

If the shite the bed bastards playing in front of him hadn’t blown the league and got the Champions League money he’d be here next season, unfortunately we’re needing to sell but 10M is on the low side.

Back