If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
Our support always try to undersell our players, don’t they ?

If an EPL club knock the door we should be asking 15m minimum.

We got Jack on a free when it seemed there wasn't a lot of offers for him. To bank £10 million would be great business but I'm torn as I want him to be our number 1

There’s a poster on here saying we’ve already agreed to sell for £21 million

Yes for me, good goalkeeper but not a great one and our problems in other areas are more of a priority and need fixing now, if Butland needs sold to fix other areas of the team ,then so be it .

Yes, and we will if we get a £10m bid. I suspect that the board will deal at that sort of money rather than hold out for more and risk getting nothing in the manner we handled bids for the likes of Morelos in the past.

I'd only let him go if it was enough to fund a substantial rebuild. £10 million is nowhere near enough to bring in the number of players we need. Once you'd replaced Butland himself, you'd only have enough left to pay for a couple of run-of-the-mill players.

Talk of Ramsdale to Newcastle for £15m, I'd want more for Jack.
Ramsdale has age on his side at 26. But if I were an EPL team likely to be battling relegation next season, I'd be chomping to get someone like Butland. Nothing less than £15m.

Ramsdale has been quoted at 15m I'd say butland is more solid . If the past has shown us anything we can't afford to let players stay when an offer comes around sadly.

I’d hope to get a bit more but sell
There are lots of other positions we need to strengthen and it might allow us the bring another good goalie plus 2 or 3 others in.
There are lots of other good goalkeepers out there so hopefully we can identify one.
I also think big Jack has made some poor decisions over past few months so he’s not been perfect

Decent spread on votes.

I'd be wanting £15m personally but I'm definitely in the "if the price is right" camp.

Yours sincerely,

B. Forsyth

You wouldn’t find a thread like this on one of their forums about whether to sell their star player on the cheap. Why is it on ours?
Funny that, just before I read your post I was thinking that we'd be laughing like fùck if they had a goalie as good as Butland and sold him for £10m.

It's not just low, it's an absolutely laughable amount.

I would be looking for £15 mil minimum.

It needs to be a fee that wee can replace him and buy another 2 positions or so
Exactly this, for me.
The “player trading model” has to generate enough money, per player sold, to fund a replacement who’d be best in the league, leave enough to do similar to another weaker position and bring in some decent potential to do it again.

He's worth a hell of a lot more than 10 million but if that's all we can get for him it's a no brainer. The manager needs a kitty.

We're in no position to turn down that kind of cash for anyone with the state the squad is in.

We won’t win the SPL with a goalkeeper as our best player. Celtic have proved with Hart (and Rab Douglas in the past) that you don’t need a phenomenal goalkeeper if the rest of your team is good enough. We would accept £10 million and Butland would want to go imo.

Butland going is a massive, massive inconvenience for us. As such an inconvenient sum would be what’s needed.

I realise the board and fans have different factors affecting their decision making but 10 million for a player of Butlands calibre is absolute buttons.
I’m not saying it’s not a massive inconvenience, I’m just making a simple point that 9 months ago any club in the EPL could have bought him for zero…yip zero and no one jumped in. Does anyone realistic think the same clubs will now play £20 million. He hasn’t proved anything this season to any club in England that they already didn’t know about him. If and when he goes and I don’t think it will be this close season we will get the sell on fee his agent agreed with us last close season when they conceded on his wages.

10m is the absolute minimum I'd accept. Whatever it is he needs to be sold as harsh as that sounds.

We need a massive rebuild in the summer, probably 7 or 8 players. 4.5m is already ring-fenced for Diomande. Say we have a 10m budget, that's 5.5m for 6 players. I'd hate to see the bargain bin we will be in.

An extra 10-15m goes a long way

He won't be available on a free for another 3 years.

I appreciate that mate, but you can never predict the future. He could easily end up with a long term injury or just a complete dip in form.

If you had told me that we would get no money for Alfie when he was at his peak I'd have thought you were mental.

We need to start making serious profit on players on a regular basis.

So we are that desperate for money we just accept any old rubbish offer that comes in for our best player.

Great business.

As a support we don't half talk down our players values.

10 million in this climate!? No chance. Just cause the rest of the team is pish doesn't mean we should undervalue Butland. If he played for them they'd be excepting double that easy.

We could make do with a ‘lesser’ keeper if we had a stronger defence. I’m afraid he will go, but the proceeds from the sale need to be spent wisely on strengthening what will be in front of him next season.

Good teams don’t sell their best players, Butland is our best player, the fee would need to be substantial and kick start a massive rebuild, but then again you are trusting the guys at the club to recruit well with the money, and that has gone brilliantly in the past……

We should be pushing for 15m. Player of the year and just missed out on the England squad because of EPL bias. He is a better than Onana, how much did Man U pay for him?

We need to push every last penny out of clubs if we are going to consider letting him go. As replacing him will be a very difficult job.

I appreciate that mate, but you can never predict the future. He could easily end up with a long term injury or just a complete dip in form.

If you had told me that we would get no money for Alfie when he was at his peak I'd have thought you were mental.

We need to start making serious profit on players on a regular basis.
I know any fee for Butland would help a rebuild but if we have a new defence I'd rather we kept a safe keeper to bed them in.
Dependant on the fee we would get for him,it could cost that to sign a decent keeper to replace him.

I think if we were truly offended £16 million for Moreles he would have been sold in a heartbeat

As much as we love our players, if we want to be sustainable and buy players, we are going to have to sell. I'm torn over Butlins tho as he's someone we can build a spine with

Playing in the SL is a hinderence thigh, the scum sold Van Dijk and Frimpong for £24 million combined. A couple of years later the were valued at nearly over £120 million

The league we play in dictates the value, just like Sweden, Denmark and even Holland to a certain extent
The chairman of Lille was on record in an interview saying that they had offered £16 million. We knocked it back and they looked to sign David from Gent instead.

I’m not saying it’s not a massive inconvenience, I’m just making a simple point that 9 months ago any club in the EPL could have bought him for zero…yip zero and no one jumped in. Does anyone realistic think the same clubs will now play £20 million. He hasn’t proved anything this season to any club in England that they already didn’t know about him. If and when he goes and I don’t think it will be this close season we will get the sell on fee his agent agreed with us last close season when they conceded on his wages.
They could have, a didn’t because they’d rather spunk 20/30m+ on overhyped wonderkids.

He’s a 20m keeper all day long, if they bulk at that or won’t pay that then they can %^*& off and continue spending vast sums on utter shite and we’ll keep Butland and build our defence around him and hopefully our squad.

A transfer value is a reflection of the players worth to the squad and for me, Butland irreplaceable.

They could have, a didn’t because they’d rather spunk 20/30m+ on overhyped wonderkids.

He’s a 20m keeper all day long, if they bulk at that or won’t pay that then they can %^*& off and continue spending vast sums on utter shite and we’ll keep Butland and build our defence around him and hopefully our squad.

A transfer value is a reflection of the players worth to the squad and for me, Butland irreplaceable.
But I’m just asking the simple point, if you expect clubs to pay £20 million for him why didn’t the same clubs buy him when he was free?

£10m hugely undervalues him. It's the most difficult position to get right and he is a guarantee of quality.

Would sell for the right price but that price is not £10m.

Rangers fans will never willingly accept a player trading model.

They will always think that selling good players is a sign of capitulation and that not selling our shite players for big money to compensate is a sign of failure and not matching the mentally challengeds.

The minute we hit £8m-10m profit on any player should be the signal to sell. People won’t accept this though.
Hence why we didn’t sign Morelos for £16m because the board thought people would think they were weak because they’d already mentioned 20.

Sadly, I think this is the case a million times over

£15m would be the ideal scenario.

Hopefully sales of Cantwell, Lawrence, Davies and Dessers will then nudge us up closer to taking in £20m-25m. Plus those out of contract and it should free up a lot of room for movement. I suspect the euros will make it difficult in the transfer market this year though. We will have to be patient and probably wait until August until there is movement in the market which is a nightmare for us with CL qualifiers involved.

Problem is can this board be trusted if we sold him not to spend the spoils on more dud players

Worth remembering there has only ever been 2 English goalkeepers sold for more than £10M before so getting more than that will be a good deal.

We would need to spend 4-5m to get a number 1 of a decent standard unless there's any on a free.

Butland won't want to go back to England to sit on the bench again, for any EPL team wanting him as their first pick goalkeeper - 10m is nothing. I'd want 15 upwards.

We need a massive overhaul and really he's the only player that holds any real difference making value that we have right now.

Back