Indirect free kick award in the penalty area

monkey magic

Is this still a thing anymore, a foul awarded in the penalty box for a non-goalscoring opportunity, but not a penalty given. ? It usually resulted in 6 or 7 players on the goal line when the free kick was eventually taken ? :D

Think the only ways this is given now is if a goalkeeper handles a back pass from his team mate or if a defending player dives and gets a foul against him for simulation

Pretty much only given for pass backs.

Here's the official rule:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
  • controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • touches the ball with the hand/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player
  • touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
    • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
    • receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • touches the ball with the hand/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player
  • touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
    • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
    • receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

At Ibrox every opposition goalkeeper should be penalised in double figures for doing this
I dont think I have ever seen a ref giving this decision

At Ibrox every opposition goalkeeper should be penalised in double figures for doing this

I've only ever noticed one Goalkeeper being booked for this: Alan McGregor and he was just able to play on after the booking with no FK awarded.

I wish they would stop ignoring the 6 second rule, it would speed things up so much

Really annoys me how some rules are just completely ignored like they don't exist

That and foul throws, livingston launched numerous long throws into our box on Sunday and the throwers foot was off the ground on every one of them

I would like to see a new rule introduced for time wasting something along the line of another card (let’s say black ) , for time wasting you get a black card and then when you accumulate three black cards the ball is given to the opposition in the form of an indirect free kick, this would speed up the keepers, I think the refs are to scared to give yellows for this

I would like to see a new rule introduced for time wasting something along the line of another card (let’s say black ) , for time wasting you get a black card and then when you accumulate three black cards the ball is given to the opposition in the form of an indirect free kick, this would speed up the keepers, I think the refs are to scared to give yellows for this
There already is a rule - once the keeper has controlled the ball with his hand he has 6 seconds to get rid of it or it's an indirect free kick to the opposition. The fact the referees generally don't apply this rule would suggest that allowing the keepers to time waste on 3 separate occasions before an indirect freekick is given would actually mean they would have more leeway than they are currently allowed

I wish they would stop ignoring the 6 second rule, it would speed things up so much

Really annoys me how some rules are just completely ignored like they don't exist

That and foul throws, livingston launched numerous long throws into our box on Sunday and the throwers foot was off the ground on every one of them
Our player closest to the ref should shout out the seconds every time their keeper catches the ball. Shame the feckers into penalising it and bring it up at every press conference where it is ignored. If a ref has the seconds shouted to him, he can have no excuse for not enforcing the rule.

Edit, the crowd doing it would also work!

Is this still a thing anymore, a foul awarded in the penalty box for a non-goalscoring opportunity, but not a penalty given. ? It usually resulted in 6 or 7 players on the goal line when the free kick was eventually taken ? :D
Pass back results in one, it used to be a common sight but as you say it’s basically disappeared from our game

Our player closest to the ref should shout out the seconds every time their keeper catches the ball. Shame the feckers into penalising it and bring it up at every press conference where it is ignored. If a ref has the seconds shouted to him, he can have no excuse for not enforcing the rule.

Edit, the crowd doing it would also work!
Really like the idea of the crowd doing it - the crowd shouting it out would be off putting for the keeper and at the end of the six seconds if there is no freekick awarded we start the good old fashioned booing

Multiball and enforcement of the 6 second rule would improve the flow of the game dramatically up here.

And these are hardly massive developmental leaps, especially given one of them is already clearly defined in the LOTG.

Not like Scottish refs to just choose to ignore the rules though, is is....

We should invest in an audible clock running from 6 down to 0

We should invest in an audible clock running from 6 down to 0

It would force the opposition to rush, they wouldn't be able to get their numbers up for the big punt up the middle and if they were forced to play it short a high press could force errors when playing against a packed defence

Still a rule but, you’re right, we seldom see it.

Other than for a deliberate pass back to the keeper or the old "4 step rule" for goalies in the 70's , I haven't seen an indirect free kick inside the penalty box for many years. I think that the last time I saw one was back in the 1960's and remember somebody telling me it was indirect because the ref had given it for obstruction against the defender.

To be fair, McGregor is guilty of it too if we're winning. He actually does time wasting really well

In the St. Johnstone Vs Ross County game just before new year, the Ross County keeper actually got penalised holding on to the ball for over 6 seconds. First time I've ever seen the rule enforced

Was watching one of the European games very recently, either in Germany or France. Goalie taking the piss holding onto the ball for ages. Ref then gives the indirect free kick just inside the area. Something of a novelty

To be fair, McGregor is guilty of it too if we're winning. He actually does time wasting really well

In the St. Johnstone Vs Ross County game just before new year, the Ross County keeper actually got penalised holding on to the ball for over 6 seconds. First time I've ever seen the rule enforced

Was just going to comment that i had seen it in a game earlier this season from our league, couldn't recall which one.

Saw in last week in a German game on BT Sport, goalkeeper handling a pass back.

Holstein Kiel vs St Pauli in Bundesliga 2.

94th minute St Pauli get a penalty via VAR. Keeper saves it, defender passes the rebound to him from about half a foot away and the keeper gathered the ball :eek:. Free kick from 7 yards out in the 96th minute to level the game and it was deflected wide for a corner.

Last time I saw Rangers get one was when Bruno Alves took it - can't remember the game but it was definitely at Ibrox.

Airdrie scored one the other day. 6.00 into this clip. The ball doesn't look like it rolls its full circumference though!

Happened in Holsten Kiel v St Pauli. St Pauli took a penalty which the keeper saved, all the players ran in the box to clear it one defender touched it before the keeper picked it up. Indirect freekick awarded which they missed. Crazy couple of minutes.

Keepers have got into the habit of falling to the ground every time they catch the ball even if the don't have to... They then lay on the pitch 'smothering' the ball for 5 - 6 seconds before slowly getting up and carrying the ball around gesticulating and shouting at there players for another 10+ seconds before getting rid..

Back