International players who do not speak the language

He posted this in the summer. Think he's not fluent or confident, hence most interviews are in English (both his parents are immigrants and he moved to England when he was fairly young).
It was the red bull interview he done in the summer he spoke Finnish in that

It was the red bull interview he done in the summer he spoke Finnish in that

Am sure it was. They had this one on Finnish TV (and he had a red bull hat on!).

The language of the workplace in Switzerland is German.
Every Swiss person I have met speaks German plus one other language depending on where they are from. My friends son, who was brought up there until secondary school age, speaks German, French, Italian, English and Arabic. He was fluent in German, French and English by the age of 7.( verbally.) His mum is Swiss French.

Reactions: CAL
The Belgian national team apparently communicate in English because they naturally speak either Flemish or French, not both, so is easier for them to talk in English.

I was wondering this the other night. Interesting bit of info.

Can you find any videos of him speaking Finnish?

He usually speaks English in the videos with Finland national team, I can't find any videos of him speaking Finnish.

He left Finland and moved to the UK at quite a young age.
I'm sure he said he liked to go on international duty as it gave him the opportunity to use his Finnish again. Don't know how well he speaks it though.

I'm sure they could both speak German, but I read Klose and Podolski both had Polish roots and communicated with each other in Polish when playing together for the German national team.

What a strike force Poland missed out on with those two!

Surprisingly he does speak Polish. He’s been learning since he declared for them and is conversational now.
Watched an interview and he says its very little he speaks, said that Bednarek from Villa speaks to him in Polish at villa to learn him.

Watched an interview and he says its very little he speaks, said that Bednarek from Villa speaks to him in Polish at villa to learn him.
Interview I saw he said he’d been taking lessons, listening to Polish radio in the car, and could now get by talking to his teammates. Also said the first time he’d been to Poland was his debut.

i was surprised he was even bothering to learn.

I’d imagine some of the Wales guys who were born/grew up in England don’t speak Welsh.
Spent a week in Wales recently and I didn’t hear a Welsh accent never mind anyone speaking Welsh. All the road signs are in Welsh though. Similar to Alba Scotland

I recall that Robert Prytz forgot how to speak Swedish...
The late Dr Jacob Bronowski (author/broadcaster of The Ascent of Man) moved from Poland to England at the age of 13. Up until he was 13 he spoke only Polish. In his old age he claimed to have forgotten every word of it.

Callum Styles who plays for Millwall. Only found out fairly recently he's eligible to play for Hungary. He got called up last season and I'd be stunned if he was at conversational level by now.

Wonder how much Danish Kasper Schmeichel speaks. Sounds he like he's spent pretty much all his life in the UK.

Every Swiss person I have met speaks German plus one other language depending on where they are from. My friends son, who was brought up there until secondary school age, speaks German, French, Italian, English and Arabic. He was fluent in German, French and English by the age of 7.( verbally.) His mum is Swiss French.
A couple who lived near me were profoundly deaf. Their daughter married an Italian who lived on the Swiss border then had a daughter themselves. At six she could speak English, French, Italian, German and sign language to her grandparents . Seen her once use all languages in the same conversation depending on who spoke. Amazing child .

Back