It appears MB likes to work with position based coaches

Watching Goldson and whoever is beside him play the 5 minute tiki taka with each other while the opposition get back into their positions and get their shape has done my head in for seasons.

Was watching the Belgium v Morocco game and the commentator said something about Belgium that summed us up, he said Belgium were keeping the ball just for the sake of keeping it, they had the ball but they weren't really doing anything positive with it.
Watching that England v Wales game tonight - the amount of passes across England's back four means the game is at walking pace for long spells. Players that are strolling through games. Think we need more from footballers in general.

Watching that England v Wales game tonight - the amount of passes across England's back four means the game is at walking pace for long spells. Players that are strolling through games. Think we need more from footballers in general.
I have always blamed Goldson, but TBH is there anything happening in front of him.

I like this approach.
As long as those responsible for their positional aspects are held accountable for their role, it sounds like a goer.

QPR supporters didn't think too highly of Watling the defensive and offensive coach.
Listened to some guy from a QPR fan site on Rangers Review.
He said, along the lines of, the defensive set pieces were poor, which M.B put down to players mentality i.e not wanting to attack the ball, but the offensive set pieces were varied and decent under Watling.

I remember Defoe talking about how they dealt with coming back from lockdown with rules still in place for the season that resulted in 55.

They came in a few at a time to do fitness work or to work with the coaches based on position. Defenders one day, midfielders the next… Pretty sure he said it was great doing that way because everyone in a similar position got used to being around each other with and without the ball and they could work on specific aspects without watering things down to fit another group in.

Maybe it was Beale’s idea! Will be interesting to see if he repeats this and gets each position focussing on their own game within his system.

I think it was down to Beale. He mentioned in an interview he was fascinated by the NFL model of using position based coaching and how it can be used to implement ideas in finer detail.

Back