Jack Grealish

Watching other teams he's one of the ones I enjoy watching the most . Constantly draws fouls and makes opposition players lose the rag , my kinda player

Just a bit hard to know how genuine some of these things are. I would say it is with Grealish (especially here) but with the social media boom players are clearly told to do a lot of stuff to enhance the perception of them from the public.
To be fair, I think footballers are absolutely shite at this sort of stuff even now. We barely see modern footballers do anything decent for kids or the needy, other than club-arranged events or their obligatory visits to hospitals. Sure, a select few give money back to their own countries etc, but the wider game is pretty poor for this stuff, considering the cash that's being thrown about.

The amounts of money some EPL players make in a week could fund an entire year's operations at a boys club, or keep the lights on at a struggling amateur club in need. A few videos here and there are nice, but the game should encourage more sharing of the cash through the grassroots levels. The top get paid weekly in life-changing money for 99.9% of the country, I still feel they could do more for the fans and kids. The fines that the FA take from teams, coaches and players every week could fund a small army.

To be fair, I think footballers are absolutely shite at this sort of stuff even now. We barely see modern footballers do anything decent for kids or the needy, other than club-arranged events or their obligatory visits to hospitals. Sure, a select few give money back to their own countries etc, but the wider game is pretty poor for this stuff, considering the cash that's being thrown about.

The amounts of money some EPL players make in a week could fund an entire year's operations at a boys club, or keep the lights on at a struggling amateur club in need. A few videos here and there are nice, but the game should encourage more sharing of the cash through the grassroots levels. The top get paid weekly in life-changing money for 99.9% of the country, I still feel they could do more for the fans and kids. The fines that the FA take from teams, coaches and players every week could fund a small army.

How do you know this? Just because things aren't publicised doesn't mean they don't happen.

A good player, not a v. good or a great one, whose game involves falling over a lot, not in the same league as Gascoigne. Grossly over-praised because his type of player is so rare in modern football.

Early days I know, but this transfer could end up being one of the great robberies. It’s not even that he’s not good enough to play for City, he is, just not as a £100m buy and and not as sort of talisman. He’ll create some goals I’m sure, but they’re never getting value for money there, I don’t even know if they’d get value for money had the transfer fee been £50m instead of 100.

Take the ball, slow the play right down, then either skip around a fullback and pass backwards, or collapse and look for a foul (given Guardiola loves slick passing and fluidity it baffles me a bit). Still think having a player who’s main selling point is that he’s “the most fouled player” in the league is such an oddity :))

Not at all mate, I get what you’re implying, I just think given his age and everything else he really shouldn’t need any more than he already has. If he really needs some life coaching he’ll surely have a family who can help too. Sometimes it feels as though Brits always need other Brits with them when it comes to fitbaw, whereas foreigners can get on with it. As far as I’m aware he’s not an actual alcoholic, just a bam.

But from everything I’ve seen of Grealish since he burst onto the scene, he’s just a bit of a thicko (as many footballers are to be fair) who’s struck gold in that his image and personality actually appeal to many, and that has somehow led to his actual abilities being severely overestimated. I still find it mad he’s even at City, he’s everything Guardiola usually avoids, and Guardiola doesn’t seem to trust him or want to play him, but PG also isn’t the type of manager to let a club dictate who he buys so the whole thing is sort of mystifying to me.

LOL.

Wonder if there will there be a Jack Grealish apology thread?

A good player, not a v. good or a great one, whose game involves falling over a lot, not in the same league as Gascoigne. Grossly over-praised because his type of player is so rare in modern football.

Again, where is this coming from? Who is saying he is in the same league as Gazza?

Poor man's Cantwell.

An Alice Band does not make a player.

All (crap) joking aside, I did not see anything in him at all until late last season and then caught one game where I thought he was stunning. He just seems to be inconsistent. I would consider that a problem at City though, where player reliability is such a big part of their success.

Poor man's Cantwell.

An Alice Band does not make a player.

All (crap) joking aside, I did not see anything in him at all until late last season and then caught one game where I thought he was stunning. He just seems to be inconsistent. I would consider that a problem at City though, where player reliability is such a big part of their success.

thought he played well against Madrid last week, done a power of work especially in a defensive sense, gets targeted a lot as well but isn't afraid to go again.

Played his part in that equalizer as well.

Still quite random considering post 11 was from 2021.

Even then, I'd reply the same to the poster of post 11...who compared Grealish to Gazza?
Well, if you asked for an opinion, Grealish is a good player, Gazza was better.

Just saying

Well, if you asked for an opinion, Grealish is a good player, Gazza was better.

Just saying

I know but I'm just curious because Gazza's name has been mentioned 2/3 times in this thread but I don't remember anybody ever claiming Grealish was better than Gazza?

Grealish plays wide left and Gazza was a box to box midfielder so it's just a bit odd it keeps getting brought up.

I suppose it'd be like saying Kevin De Bruyne's good but Ronaldinho was better.

I know but I'm just curious because Gazza's name has been mentioned 2/3 times in this thread but I don't remember anybody ever claiming Grealish was better than Gazza?

Grealish plays wide left and Gazza was a box to box midfielder so it's just a bit odd it keeps getting brought up.

I suppose it'd be like saying Kevin De Bruyne's good but Ronaldinho was better.
I never started this comparison, only gave an opinion.
I get what you're saying and agree.

He must be the most overrated player of all time.

He is 25 and his career has been average at best yet the commentators and English fans go on like he is the 2nd coming of Gazza.

He isn’t of the level of Foden or Sancho yet they both never received the fanfare that he got.

Bizarre.
The only Bizarre aspect is your patent inability to recognise footballing talent. Go watch cricket or dwarf throwing.

Actually agree with this.

He's a good player, just seems to do the same thing constantly cutting in onto his right foot then runs across the front of the box. Never see him really skin a player. Good work rate though, not scared to do the dirty work and can chip in with a few goals. No where near a 100 mil player though

Fully disagree with OP

Guy used to single handedly drag Aston Villa to points in the league.

He’s a small fish in a big pond at villa - but he’s some player

Actually agree with this.

He's a good player, just seems to do the same thing constantly cutting in onto his right foot then runs across the front of the box. Never see him really skin a player. Good work rate though, not scared to do the dirty work and can chip in with a few goals. No where near a 100 mil player though
Worth £100m to Villa though, given that he got them promoted and single handedly kept them up. Pocket change to Man City so everyone's a winner

Back