Jack Grealish

I don't get the comparison with Gazza,mate. If the gaffer rated him,surely he'd be one of the first on the team sheet. He should've been on well before he came on. Extra time isn't a lot of time to make an impact.
its just because he can dribble a bit or drop the shoulder .personaly think he's miles behind Gazza.
Gazza was as good as any player in the world 90/91

Good player, that has special moments.

May need to step up to a title challenge team. To see if he can take it too the next level.

Or if he too comfortable being big fish in small pond

Good player, that has special moments.

May need to step up to a title challenge team. To see if he can take it too the next level.

Or if he too comfortable being big fish in small pond
I think it’s only a matter of time before he leaves Villa. And I can only see him going to Utd or City. He seems like a Pep type of player.

Is Grealish actually being compared to Gazza? Not for me, a decent player, yes, but really he's just the next in a long line of players suffering from the overhype of the EPL.

After the final they were discussing who should/shouldnt have taken a penalty and Danny Mills said the most important thing is for the England camp to remain tight, keep it within the group and the worst thing that could happen is someone breaking ranks.

Less than 24 hrs later out comes Grealish. If Southgate didn't really trust him before I doubt this has helped his cause.

I think he is a good player.

But his main strength seems to be winning free kicks. Which isn’t exactly the biggest strength you want in an attacking player.

He maybe should take a leaf out of Gazzas book and be powerful dribbling past people. Be determined to get past them to create a chance rather than collapsing
I agree, wee dribble, fall over.

As someone who's followed Villa since the 90's, Grealish is an outstanding player. If he had been given more minutes at the Euro's it would have resulted in more goals and assists imho.

You can't compare him to Gazza, but I see why's he compared to him, he just skips past players and challenges and makes the game look easy at times. His weight of pass is probably his biggest attribute, it's inch perfect nearly every time.

I hope he signs a new deal and stays with Villa but I'd understand if he wanted the Man City move, he's always said he'd love to play with KDB. Villa are trying to build something at the moment, and it is an exciting time to be a Villa fan.

Wasn't that long ago we had Steve Bruce and Ross McCormack climbing over his electronic gates, so we've come a long way in a short time and we are trying to get Europe this season and I expect we'll spend big again this summer. Especially if Grealish does go.

Is Grealish actually being compared to Gazza? Not for me, a decent player, yes, but really he's just the next in a long line of players suffering from the overhype of the EPL.

After the final they were discussing who should/shouldnt have taken a penalty and Danny Mills said the most important thing is for the England camp to remain tight, keep it within the group and the worst thing that could happen is someone breaking ranks.

Less than 24 hrs later out comes Grealish. If Southgate didn't really trust him before I doubt this has helped his cause.
I think it’s more his playing style that is being compared to Gazza. You’ll struggle to find someone who thinks Grealish is better than Gazza.

I actually think he’s more like a Totti, in the way that he plays (I’m not comparing them from an ability point of view).

I'm a Birmingham fan so obviously on a domestic level I'm not a fan boy.
If I denied the kids talent I'd be a liar .In a white shirt I support him like I do the others .
Lots of ability.I don't think he will be world class like Foden could be.Also it's interesting Bellingham got a transfer at a younger age .I think JG must have had ' other' things going on.
I was always happy to see him get on ,he did change games .
He is compared to Gazza at times .Jack falls over when touched.Gazza would knock them over !
The comparison is ludicrous, IMO.

Gascoigne was the fulcrum of the England teams he played in, a once in a generation talent whose full potential was lost to the world through injury and general buffoonery.

Grealish, talented player that he is, could only dream of having comparable ability.

Reactions: jtc
I think it’s more his playing style that is being compared to Gazza. You’ll struggle to find someone who thinks Grealish is better than Gazza.

I actually think he’s more like a Totti, in the way that he plays (I’m not comparing them from an ability point of view).

Other than the socks I don't see the comparison - Totti was a goalscorer

Where can we see these stats? I doubt he tops the chances created charts. That would be a City or Liverpool player surely?

Created the 4th most big chances last season and has one of the highest assists per 90 in the league.

I worded my previous post poorly, I meant near the top of the charts not specifically the number 1 on the stats

Yeah, but Gazza was box to box, Grealish is more about sand dancing around the box anytime I've seen him. It's a strange comparison.

Yeah, but Gazza was box to box, Grealish is more about sand dancing around the box anytime I've seen him. It's a strange comparison.
True. The only similarity I see with Gazza is the gliding past folk. He skips past players like they aren’t there. His vision and creativity is top drawer, too.

He’s definitely the most exciting since Gazza. But nothing on Gazza, ability wise.

I love watching him play.

The comparison is ludicrous, IMO.

Gascoigne was the fulcrum of the England teams he played in, a once in a generation talent whose full potential was lost to the world through injury and general buffoonery.

Grealish, talented player that he is, could only dream of having comparable ability.
I agree mate,it's just a comparison that gets chucked about due to the fact JG can go past a player with a few jinks.We havnt really had many players since Gazza who can drop a shoulder and send a bloke the wrong way from a static start.
Gazza was and is head and shoulders above any player to pull on a England shirt ability wise in my life time .
I think young Foden maybe a nearer comparison,though still.miles off yet.I think he keeps the ball better than JG and let's it go quicker when it's required.

I agree mate,it's just a comparison that gets chucked about due to the fact JG can go past a player with a few jinks.We havnt really had many players since Gazza who can drop a shoulder and send a bloke the wrong way from a static start.
Gazza was and is head and shoulders above any player to pull on a England shirt ability wise in my life time .
I think young Foden maybe a nearer comparison,though still.miles off yet.I think he keeps the ball better than JG and let's it go quicker when it's required.
I’m surprised at how little game time Foden got, and, it also has to be said, how little impact he made in the minutes he did have.

He looked a tremendous talent all season long for Man City, the cream of the crop of this new group of English players, so I was a little disappointed we didn’t see more of him.

He's a shitebag ponce who shat out of taking a penalty in favour of kids just on the park.

It might just be possible that in a euro final the manager had pre-selected his penalty kick takers and in which order they'd take them.

I’m surprised at how little game time Foden got, and, it also has to be said, how little impact he made in the minutes he did have.

He looked a tremendous talent all season long for Man City, the cream of the crop of this new group of English players, so I was a little disappointed we didn’t see more of him.
Yes,I think one game he came on for Mount ,in his position.Which pleased me as I think boys like Foden or Grealish been made to hug the chalk lines counters their effectiveness.Yes,go to wide spaces if the space is there but I feel these lads need to be fluid.
Certain players can be on a pitch and barely touch the ball and still have a good game.They can stop others playing and knock a five yard pass to a team mate .
Certain players,if they are not near the ball it's pointless them being on the pitch

Have to say he looks like a big headed knob, but what a player. If England had used him properly they would have probably won on Sunday. Obviously Southgate has his system but he's got to find a way to use someone like Grealish if England want to win something.

Mount is obviously an excellent player but he’s the one who kept Grealish from getting more game time.

England against Italy needed somebody to link with the two main attackers,Kane and Sterling and generally keep the ball as England went forward.
Grealish was for me a better option than Mount and certainly more creative. He should have been around 60 minutes or earlier as Italy started to dominate.

Grealish is a superb player and should have featured a lot more for England during the Euro 2020. He will go on to be a very, very good player for years to come.

He comes across as a total fud of a boy but that doesn't change the fact he is a very good footballer.

The only comparison with Gazza is the seemingly mythical maverick status so many pundits and fans have bestowed upon Grealish.

I've never seen such a clamour from everyone for a player to be introduced. The cameras kept cutting to him on the bench and every time he went out for a warm up everyone was getting excited. He's a good player but they'd built him up to be some sort of one of a kind magician that would change the course of any match.

If you want a player to roll his socks down, make his hair look pretty, run from the right wing all the way over to the left wing and then fall down then Grealish is your man. If you want another Paul Gascoigne then dream on.

I like Fodden also and I think the England midfield were to slow to feed the ball to him compared to Man City’s midfield

I think he is a good player. Would’ve liked to have seen more of him in the Euros to help me decide if he is more than that.

He has that bit of magic to change a match in an instant. Reminds me of Hagi.

I
The only comparison with Gazza is the seemingly mythical maverick status so many pundits and fans have bestowed upon Grealish.

I've never seen such a clamour from everyone for a player to be introduced. The cameras kept cutting to him on the bench and every time he went out for a warm up everyone was getting excited. He's a good player but they'd built him up to be some sort of one of a kind magician that would change the course of any match.
I think McGinn is the better player in that AV midfield.

He was on for about 15 mins against Denmark, played in Shaw who crossed for Sterling and then made Kane’s goal.
Pep would seem to disagree with you

I think shaw made Kane’s goal - won ball and started move - grealish crossed it, good cross but he didn’t make it.

Early days I know, but this transfer could end up being one of the great robberies. It’s not even that he’s not good enough to play for City, he is, just not as a £100m buy and and not as sort of talisman. He’ll create some goals I’m sure, but they’re never getting value for money there, I don’t even know if they’d get value for money had the transfer fee been £50m instead of 100.

Take the ball, slow the play right down, then either skip around a fullback and pass backwards, or collapse and look for a foul (given Guardiola loves slick passing and fluidity it baffles me a bit). Still think having a player who’s main selling point is that he’s “the most fouled player” in the league is such an oddity :))

He’s a great player, he never made anyone pay that amount for him - the fee will be dwarfed soon. Best time to judge him is at Xmas Day on 2022.

Not convinced playing for Guardiola is the best for him mind.

Long way to go to be a great but the fee means sod all now. Man City since 2008 have never been about value for money.

Last edited:
He’s a great player, he never made anyone pay that amount for him - the fee will be dwarfed soon. Best time to judge him is at Xmas Day on 2022.

Not convinced playing for Guardiola is the best for him mind.

Long way to go to be great but the fee means sod all now. Man City since 2008 have never been about value for money.
Hey may well become a great player, but he's far from it just now. He's accomplished nothing so far.

Hey may well become a great player, but he's far from it just now. He's accomplished nothing so far.
Plenty of Villa and England fans will tell you otherwise. Could argue all day about it.

Aside from what he hasn’t done what would you say he has done so far? Pointless replying if you genuinely think “nothing”.

I think he is a good player.

But his main strength seems to be winning free kicks. Which isn’t exactly the biggest strength you want in an attacking player.

He maybe should take a leaf out of Gazzas book and be powerful dribbling past people. Be determined to get past them to create a chance rather than collapsing
And that's what he is trying to do and why he continually gets fouled, he has improved City and England whenever he plays.

Plenty of Villa and England fans will tell you otherwise. Could argue all day about it.

Aside from what he hasn’t done what would you say he has done so far? Pointless replying if you genuinely think “nothing”.
He improved a mediocre EPL side but to what end?
He was also a semi-effective substitute in a decent England squad ( I personally think there were better teams than them that didn't reach the final), but I don't think he made a difference in terms of their overall quality.
It's impossible for me to say what he 'has done', because as I said, so far in his career he has accomplished not much except for being fouled a lot it seems.

Be a lot easier if you could explain what he has done?

He was also a semi-effective substitute in a decent England squad ( I personally think there were better teams than them that didn't reach the final), but I don't think he made a difference in terms of their overall quality.
It's impossible for me to say what he 'has done', because as I said, so far in his career he has accomplished not much except for being fouled a lot it seems.

Who were the “mediocre EPL side he improved”?

Got Villa back up, key player in that. Massive achievement what he did there. You’ll know that though unless you’ve only been watching him for 2 years.

Improved England whenever he came on in Euros. He’s also displayed an amazing temperament where getting fouled so much.

You’ve also gone from him accomplishing “nothing” to “not much” - which is it?

As a centre half lining up in the tunnel next to him ,you would be rubbing your hands at the chance to put this poser in his place.

I missed this thread originally but good to see, even after reading the first comment, that there's finally something FF agrees on! :D

Got Villa back up, key player in that. Massive achievement what he did there. You’ll know that though unless you’ve only been watching him for 2 years.

Improved England whenever he came on in Euros. He’s also displayed an amazing temperament where getting fouled so much.

You’ve also gone from him accomplishing “nothing” to “not much” - which is it?
I'd personally class Villa as an average EPL side (even though the have won the same number of titles as City :)) ).

No doubt he was very influential in getting them back up, but that hardly makes him 'great'.

Maradona dragged Napoli to the Serie A title, that makes him 'great'.

Grealish is the latest in a long line of over-hyped, over-priced English players.

I'd personally class Villa as an average EPL side (even though the have won the same number of titles as City :)) ).

No doubt he was very influential in getting them back up, but that hardly makes him 'great'.

Maradona dragged Napoli to the Serie A title, that makes him 'great'.

Grealish is the latest in a long line of over-hyped, over-priced English players.
You need to read what I said pal, a great player is different to “a great”.

So now he did accomplish something. We have gone from “nothing” to “not much” to “very influential”!

Are we now going to move on to the opening poster saying Sancho is better?

You need to read what I said pal, a great player is different to “a great”.

So now he did accomplish something. We have gone from “nothing” to “not much” to “very influential”!

Are we now going to move on to the opening poster saying Sancho is better?
So you're saying that being very influential in a Championship side makes him a 'great player'?

With regards to what he has accomplished, when I said 'nothing' I suppose I meant in top level football.
I allowed him 'not much' since he helped get a team promoted from the Championship (who didn't even win it, they finished 5th).

You say he improved England in the Euros, I can't say that I agree I'm afraid.

Also, I'd have to disagree that 'displaying an amazing temperament' makes you a great player.

Back