January window

TimzRFudz

What do we reckon?

I think Gerrard has performed really well with the current squad that's been assembled over the past three windows. Also, in his post-match he explicitly stated that he was backing this group of players.

However, I'm starting to think two things:

Firstly, one or two of our guys - however much we want them to be winners and however much we like them - have maybe taken us as far as they can in a Rangers shirt. This is not intended to be disrespectful or to slag them off. Just not convinced that we can get much more out of them, that extra percent or two that makes the difference between winning and not. I'm not going to name them here out of respect. There are enough panty-wetting threads slagging players already and that isn't my intention.

Secondly, I'm also not convinced the depth of the squad is actually that great. I've said all season that we need both Jack and Davis in there. If we lose one of them then we're playing two of Arfield / Aribo / Kamara / Ojo / AN.Other and I think there's too big a gap to fill. King was brought in as an experienced winner and disappeared. Guys like Docherty and McCrorie clearly don't feature in the plans just now.

On top of that, we desperately need a solid attacker on the right side.

So, do we envisage us doing much business? I firmly believe the league is still there to be won. That lot showed us absolutely zero to be afraid of today. If we can fine-tune our squad I believe we'll win it.

We have a bloated squad already, we really need to move on squad fillers that will never be good enough to free up wages then we need more options in front of goal

Yep, we've got a big squad. I don't foresee many additions unless maybe if, as you say, we can move a few on.

We need to move folk on.

Next summer right sided striker, striker to replace Alfredo, and more midfield quality at level of Davis and Jack.

Here's a question. If we are talking becoming serial winners and more reshuffling of the pack.....who would you genuinely want to fight to keep?

Would love us to do a joe aribo deal and get Bowen. Two more goals yesterday. Or some other poster suggested sinnani. Very impressive Europa league stats.

We need actual quality not squad fillers.
I can't see many coming in just a lot out the door sadly.
1 or 2 in if we're lucky.

Quality only please. Boys like Aribo, Barker, and Ojo are projects and shouldn't be in the first 11 just now.
We need someone who can step into Alfies boots come the summer.

We need actual quality not squad fillers.
I can't see many coming in just a lot out the door sadly.
1 or 2 in if we're lucky.
Truth be told mate I’d be happy with that. 4 maybe even 5 out and 1 excellent RW in. Two starters in might just be fantasy unfortunately

My main worry is by the sounds of things we won’t have much to spend and it’s likely more about getting players out the door and maybe a securing a few loan deals maximum.

Unless we sell I honestly cannot see us bringing in the kind of quality needed to turn the tide.

Far too many jobbers in our squad taking up about £20,000 every week between them and we can’t keep adding to the wage bill indefinitely without moving a fair few on first.

Truth be told mate I’d be happy with that. 4 maybe even 5 out and 1 excellent RW in. Two starters in might just be fantasy unfortunately
Yeah and with our finances it's only loans i can see coming in.
We have a lot to get out the door as well hopefully for money.

Yeah and with our finances it's only loans i can see coming in.
We have a lot to get out the door as well hopefully for money.
Here’s hoping that Alex Rae was correct about investment because I’m struggling to envision a loan, free, or low fee signing in January being the answer

A quality right sided attacker. A top CM. A CB to play beside Helander if he doesn’t rate Edmunson or Katic enough.

A quality right sided attacker. A top CM. A CB to play beside Helander if he doesn’t rate Edmunson or Katic enough.
Anything else mate? Jeez, try to be realistic. We will be lucky to get one of those. Question is what do you personally think we need most? RW, CM or CB?

Anything else mate? Jeez, try to be realistic. We will be lucky to get one of those. Question is what do you personally think we need most? RW, CM or CB?
It’s only 3 signings, it’s not that unrealistic surely? RW, then CB then CM.

It’s only 3 signings, it’s not that unrealistic surely? RW, then CB then CM.
Well yes, most indications point to finances being limited and players needing to be moved out. I agree with a RW first and foremost. However I’d take a CM before a CB.

Quality only please. Boys like Aribo, Barker, and Ojo are projects and shouldn't be in the first 11 just now.
We need someone who can step into Alfies boots come the summer.
Ojo is on loan, Barker, for me, was a panic signing incase we didnt get Kent, Aribo is a full international now, he's not a project he's 23.
We need Halliday, Murphy, Barker, Fods, Flanagan all out the door. Bring in a right winger and another striker.

Well yes, most indications point to finances being limited and players needing to be moved out. I agree with a RW first and foremost. However I’d take a CM before a CB.
There’s plenty talk of investment. I’d like to think we’re in a financial state to sign three players.

Was hoping that Murphy might be the right sided forward but seems not. Would like to see Stewart now get a run there. I would send Ojo back in January and use the money to bring in a replacement. Need to lose some of the midfielders before anyone new comes in. A few will be out the door next summer. Think Katic and Edmunson are fine at CB.

Kent, Barker, Murphy, Jones, Ojo, Stewart, Jake Hastie when he comes back, Middleton, Grezda even. A lot of options for wide positions, but bar Kent no real quality. When Jones comes back from injury, I'd like to see him and Kent get a run either side of Morelos, just to see if he can add some much needed quality. If that doesn't work we need to go for real quality over quantity in that position like we seem to have been doing the past window or 2.

Was hoping that Murphy might be the right sided forward but seems not. Would like to see Stewart now get a run there. I would send Ojo back in January and use the money to bring in a replacement. Need to lose some of the midfielders before anyone new comes in. A few will be out the door next summer. Think Katic and Edmunson are fine at CB.
I thought Murphy behind the striker would’ve been great but I’m resigned to the thought he’s just not gonna make it back unfortunately

Ojo is on loan, Barker, for me, was a panic signing incase we didnt get Kent, Aribo is a full international now, he's not a project he's 23.
We need Halliday, Murphy, Barker, Fods, Flanagan all out the door. Bring in a right winger and another striker.
Agree, don't forget Grezda.

Right sided attacker is a must
You are right. Is there a case to play Alfredo there with Defoe through the middle,at least until we get the right sided forward position sorted. I think Stewart can consider himself unfortunate not to have seen more games.

What do we reckon?

I think Gerrard has performed really well with the current squad that's been assembled over the past three windows. Also, in his post-match he explicitly stated that he was backing this group of players.

However, I'm starting to think two things:

Firstly, one or two of our guys - however much we want them to be winners and however much we like them - have maybe taken us as far as they can in a Rangers shirt. This is not intended to be disrespectful or to slag them off. Just not convinced that we can get much more out of them, that extra percent or two that makes the difference between winning and not. I'm not going to name them here out of respect. There are enough panty-wetting threads slagging players already and that isn't my intention.

Secondly, I'm also not convinced the depth of the squad is actually that great. I've said all season that we need both Jack and Davis in there. If we lose one of them then we're playing two of Arfield / Aribo / Kamara / Ojo / AN.Other and I think there's too big a gap to fill. King was brought in as an experienced winner and disappeared. Guys like Docherty and McCrorie clearly don't feature in the plans just now.

On top of that, we desperately need a solid attacker on the right side.

So, do we envisage us doing much business? I firmly believe the league is still there to be won. That lot showed us absolutely zero to be afraid of today. If we can fine-tune our squad I believe we'll win it.
In my opinion we needed another option to Morelos, someone that we can adjust our style of play at times when it suits, as for me Defoe isn’t good enough to be playing on a regular basis

You are right. Is there a case to play Alfredo there with Defoe through the middle,at least until we get the right sided forward position sorted. I think Stewart can consider himself unfortunate not to have seen more games.

Said this on way to game today, chance to fling a curveball with the starting lineup with both Alfie and defoe starting, Alfie drifts wide anyway and I'd like to think JD would have got on end of one of the chances, Stewart is very unlucky tbh, the likes of Ojo and barker are no use

Ideally-
Grezda - sold/loaned/released
Polster - sold/loaned
Docherty - (big fan but not happening for him) loaned
King - returned to parent club
Murphy - loaned to get game time
Barker - see above
Halliday - free to go if he wishes

Wages and squad places freed up to invest in better quality in 1 or 2 areas (hopefully).
Get docherty barker and maybe Murphy loaned to Scottish clubs to possibly help take points of them. And to get them used to playing the teams we will be playing all the time. Convinced with doc that there is a player there but just needs to come out and show us

Rangers do need to strengthen if we hope to win the league. The squad currently contains a number of players who obviously aren't rated by the manager since they never get a game, and should be sold or gotten off the wage bill. Hopefully the proceeds can be used to bring in some quality reinforcements - not projects - but players who can start and contribute straightaway.

After today - even though the beasts won - you can be sure that they got the message - Rangers were clearly the better team . Their hierarchy will realize this and be aware that they have to upgrade to keep their hopes of a treble alive.

Rangers do need to strengthen if we hope to win the league. The squad currently contains a number of players who obviously aren't rated by the manager since they never get a game, and should be sold or gotten off the wage bill. Hopefully the proceeds can be used to bring in some quality reinforcements - not projects - but players who can start and contribute straightaway.

After today - even though the beasts won - you can be sure that they got the message - Rangers were clearly the better team . Their hierarchy will realize this and be aware that they have to upgrade to keep their hopes of a treble alive.
they will most certainly upgrade in January surely. Just hope they get the recruitment wrong and we identify ideal targets

Need to add more quality to the squad.

Polster
Grezda
Halliday
Docherty
King
Murphy
Flanagan

Are contributing very little to nothing currently for different reasons.

Ojo and Barker, I don't think are anywhere near good enough.

That's 9 players taking up wages with very little value in return.

We need a guaranteed stick on starter of a right winger/attacker, cover for Borna at Leftback and a striker we can develop when Alfie leaves in the summer. Also a wee dip into the bosman market wouldn't hurt to see if we can pick up a few bargains or an out of contract premium level player.

Attacking central midfielder and a right winger. If you add 2 quality additions in those positions then we improve dramatically for me.

We do not need another CB in January unless we sell one of ours. I’d be inclined to move on Docherty, Barker, Halliday, Firth or Fod, I’d give King back if he’s no use.

Manage anything close to that and possibly buy an attacking midfielder or a striker, I’d be delighted.

We are at the stage where we sign only quality. I would expect us in January to trim the squad with the likes of King ,Docherty,Grezda, Polster to go during the Window with maybe a right sided forward coming in but only if they get rid of those players. I would also expect Murphy to go out on loan to get match fitness. At the end of the season a good few of the squad Halliday , Flannigan , For all going as well.

I think we need a target man upfront for when we need to chase a game
It took until 87mins for Katic to stay up there and it was too little too late
There's been a lot of talk on Cosgrove on here, not a fan don't think he's rangers class but a game like that yesterday when we go a goal down throw him on up there to make a handful of himself and you never know; guy can score goals and mostly scrappy at that
Bit of a contradicting post on Cosgrove himself but I feel its that type of player we are missing to have within the squad as an alternative option

I would love a left-footed, right-sided attacker like Igor Ivanovic. 22 year-old Serbian, playing in the top flight there. 6 goals and 4 assists in 17 games this season in a similar standard of league - better than can be said for any of our wingers. Out of contract in the summer...

Back