Juniors, Highland, Lowland, etc - 23 October 2021

Scottish Junior Cup 3rd Round

Townhead Park, Cumnock. KO 2.30pm

Cumnock Juniors 1-1 Largs Thistle

Largs won 4-2 on penalties.

Cumnock scored in the first few minutes and after that the first half was even with neither keeper having to deal with a shot on target.

The strong westerly wind was at Cumnock’s backs making the Thistle high ball strategy difficult to watch.

The second half saw Thistle increase pressure and become dominant, hitting the bar and post.

A brilliant cross by Will Sewell from the right wing saw a net busting header from Keir Milliken aka Milky in the 75th minutes.
It was 1-1 and mostly Largs from then on.

Jack Haggerty who had come on as sub on 73 mins had changed the game for Largs.

A stramash in the Cumnock goalmouth resulted in a Thistle yellow card and a yellow card for former RFC player and Cumnock No2, Kyle McAusland. Kyle certainly puts himself about and he’s not a small person!

1-1 at full time and straight to penalties. Thistle went first and didn’t score followed by a miss from Cumnock.

After watching through the fingers, Largs Thistle were successful and won by 4 penalties to 2 penalties.

There were great celebrations on the field by all the Thistle players and coaching staff except for, curiously, Owen McGinty who didn’t get on the pitch today from the bench. Shades of Alfredo there.

The attendance was quite poor considering who the home team were but the catering was very good.

Unfortunately the onion pies were sold out but the steak and haggis pie was superb and the scotch pies magnificent.

The bovril was granular, no congealed mass in the bottom of the cup, and very tasty.

A great day. Perfect weather for football and a brilliant cup win over one of the lower football rank’s big guns.

Largs Thistle will now play Dundee North End in the last 16 of the Scottish Junior Cup on Saturday, 27th November 2021 at Barrfields Stadium.

Mon the Theesel!

:)

McGinty,the next self proclaimed superstar, seems to have adopted the attitude of many a youngster these days!

Result of the day surely goes to Gartcairn who horsed Beith 6-0. Tremendous result and the standout of the day.

Also, a special mention to Cambuslang Rangers who beat St Cadocs 2-0 away in the top of table clash.

Result of the day surely goes to Gartcairn who horsed Beith 6-0. Tremendous result and the standout of the day.

Also, a special mention to Cambuslang Rangers who beat St Cadocs 2-0 away in the top of table clash.
Petershill beat St. Cadoc's last week in the South Challenge Cup, look a fairly decent team but their fitness looked a bit ropey. We scored on the 90th and 93rd minutes to win 4-3 and the only real spell that we dominated was the last 15 minutes after going 3-2 down.

Peasy followed that up today with a fairly straightforward 3-0 win over Benburb in the Scottish Junior Cup, as comfortable a win over a team from a higher division as I've seen us have for quite a while.

That's a horrendous result for Beith, should never be losing to a team from a league below by that sort of margin.

Scottish Junior Cup 3rd Round

Townhead Park, Cumnock. KO 2.30pm

Cumnock Juniors 1-1 Largs Thistle

Largs won 4-2 on penalties.

Cumnock scored in the first few minutes and after that the first half was even with neither keeper having to deal with a shot on target.

The strong westerly wind was at Cumnock’s backs making the Thistle high ball strategy difficult to watch.

The second half saw Thistle increase pressure and become dominant, hitting the bar and post.

A brilliant cross by Will Sewell from the right wing saw a net busting header from Keir Milliken aka Milky in the 75th minutes.
It was 1-1 and mostly Largs from then on.

Jack Haggerty who had come on as sub on 73 mins had changed the game for Largs.

A stramash in the Cumnock goalmouth resulted in a Thistle yellow card and a yellow card for former RFC player and Cumnock No2, Kyle McAusland. Kyle certainly puts himself about and he’s not a small person!

1-1 at full time and straight to penalties. Thistle went first and didn’t score followed by a miss from Cumnock.

After watching through the fingers, Largs Thistle were successful and won by 4 penalties to 2 penalties.

There were great celebrations on the field by all the Thistle players and coaching staff except for, curiously, Owen McGinty who didn’t get on the pitch today from the bench. Shades of Alfredo there.

The attendance was quite poor considering who the home team were but the catering was very good.

Unfortunately the onion pies were sold out but the steak and haggis pie was superb and the scotch pies magnificent.

The bovril was granular, no congealed mass in the bottom of the cup, and very tasty.

A great day. Perfect weather for football and a brilliant cup win over one of the lower football rank’s big guns.

Largs Thistle will now play Dundee North End in the last 16 of the Scottish Junior Cup on Saturday, 27th November 2021 at Barrfields Stadium.

Mon the Theesel!

:)
Thanks for the brilliant report @grahamdavid, sitting over here in Kazakhstan really enjoying reading it.

I was at Pollok 2 Troon 1 yesterday.

Pollok took the lead but Troon equalized with a penalty at the start of the second half.

Pollok scored a great winner about ten mins left to play with a back post header from a brilliant cross by young Jonathan Lyon.

Perthshire 1-6 Arthurlie

Vale of Leven 2-2 Ashfield (Ashfield 4-1 on Pens)

Ashfield now away to yoker in last 16 of the cup

Yoker 3 EK thistle 1. Good performance from yoker who had numerous chances to kill the game off earlier. Ashfield at home in last 16

Good to see Darvel and Talbot go into next round of senior Cup hopefully Clydebank can join them tomorrow night.

Gartcairn still playing on a desolate, caged, wind-swept hill top with no hot food, a long trek from changing rooms, yet moaning about the opposition? A visit is Artrhurlie's reward for winning 1-6 at Glasgow Perthshire. Might give that a miss.

Gartcairn still playing on a desolate, caged, wind-swept hill top with no hot food, a long trek from changing rooms, yet moaning about the opposition? A visit is Artrhurlie's reward for winning 1-6 at Glasgow Perthshire. Might give that a miss.

Nope and junior clubs greeting the way they have is a shambles. They have worked there balls off up there and the set up they now have is terrific

Pollok top of the league :D wont last long though as talbot will have their usual 15 games in hand which they will play next year when the weather is better and pitches are better , thats what usually happens

Pollok top of the league :D wont last long though as talbot will have their usual 15 games in hand which they will play next year when the weather is better and pitches are better , thats what usually happens

Do you not think it's a disadvantage having to play 3 games a week toward end of the season? I'd certainly say so.

Think the teams with floodlights will be playing midweek games ,
They will, clubs were already told that at the start of the season. I do find it bizarre though that we are having a 3 week shutdown over Christmas and New Year. I can understand it for conference teams like my own (Peasy) who will likely be down to single figures in remaining league games by then, but top flight teams might still have nearly 20 league games to play between New Year and late April as well as cup ties. I would have thought at least some of them would have asked for games over the festive season.

They will, clubs were already told that at the start of the season. I do find it bizarre though that we are having a 3 week shutdown over Christmas and New Year. I can understand it for conference teams like my own (Peasy) who will likely be down to single figures in remaining league games by then, but top flight teams might still have nearly 20 league games to play between New Year and late April as well as cup ties. I would have thought at least some of them would have asked for games over the festive season.
Didn’t realise there was a shutdown , surely some teams will ask to play given the amount of games , plus no guarantee the weather will be ok after new year seems the wosfl are as bad as the junior lot , I can see chaos ahead

Didn’t realise there was a shutdown , surely some teams will ask to play given the amount of games , plus no guarantee the weather will be ok after new year seems the wosfl are as bad as the junior lot , I can see chaos ahead
Clubs were told to ask for games between 18th December and 8th January but there was virtually no response as far as I was told.

Back