League 1 Talent pool

Pure_Blue17

After Beale pushing hard to try and get Whittaker in January, should Rangers be pushing hard to try and sign some EL1 players with potential with additional sell on value.

Players like Collins (Bristol Rovers) with 15 goals and 11 assists could certainly add something to the team and at 25 is a good age too.

Needing a prolific striker - someone like Peterborough captain Clarke Harris has scored everywhere hes been.

Even Exeter City duo Nombe and Brown are putting up decent Goal/Assist numbers to warrant having a look at.

Do you think League 1 could be an untapped market for the new manager?

Clarke Harris probably won’t be signed due to his homophobic tweets that seen him banned and fined. A load of clubs have decided against for it.

Bali Mumba had looked great, on from Norwich though, so would probably cost a good bit.

Probably not much difference in the overall standard of League 1 England vs top tier Denmark, Sweden, etc.
I’d like to think that we’re better than that, the odd gem however if we want to improve we need to be looking elsewhere

Why not?

Last week we had a guy from the Norwegian second division banging them in and wondering how other teams manage it.

The ludicrous snobbery on here is completely at odds with Rangers’ need to scout players that are good value.

Our scouting is key. We don’t have the cash to be snooty about leagues. We play in the SPFL ffs.

I’d like to think that we’re better than that, the odd gem however if we want to improve we need to be looking elsewhere
Where though?

Is the standard of the Croatian league much better? Scandinavian leagues?

We are not shopping in Harrods, we are shopping in the discounters and hoping to find a bargain.

Every player needs to start somewhere. I'd prefer someone with potential from a lower league who has had to fight and scrap to make it rather than a molly-coddled, overhyped and overpaid prima-dona from an EPL academy.

Where though?

Is the standard of the Croatian league much better? Scandinavian leagues?

We are not shopping in Harrods, we are shopping in the discounters and hoping to find a bargain.

Every player needs to start somewhere. I'd prefer someone with potential from a lower league who has had to fight and scrap to make it rather than a molly-coddled, overhyped and overpaid prima-dona from an EPL academy.
We should be looking outside of Europe, at no point have I suggested EPL academies btw

Was at Ipswich on Saturday, and Conor Chaplin was superb; easily EFL Championship level; and would stroll the SPL. If we`ve taken a punt on Cantwell (as a measure of advancement on what we already have); then Chaplin is as good. Of course it`s all about opinions, but based on what I saw, Chaplin is a creative, forward looking midfielder; very direct in approach; and levels above League One in England.

After Beale pushing hard to try and get Whittaker in January, should Rangers be pushing hard to try and sign some EL1 players with potential with additional sell on value.

Players like Collins (Bristol Rovers) with 15 goals and 11 assists could certainly add something to the team and at 25 is a good age too.

Needing a prolific striker - someone like Peterborough captain Clarke Harris has scored everywhere hes been.

Even Exeter City duo Nombe and Brown are putting up decent Goal/Assist numbers to warrant having a look at.

Settle down son

Was at Ipswich on Saturday, and Conor Chaplin was superb; easily EFL Championship level; and would stroll the SPL. If we`ve taken a punt on Cantwell (as a measure of advancement on what we already have); then Chaplin is as good. Of course it`s all about opinions, but based on what I saw, Chaplin is a creative, forward looking midfielder; very direct in approach; and levels above League One in England.

His Da Charlie was a character

There seems to be a fascination on here with shopping in England. Even if we did shop around in League One, it’s likely any player we went for is being looked at by other big English teams willing to throw more money at them.

The club need to cast their scouting net wider, we need to be thinking more outside the box when it comes to recruitment.

It’s been done to death on here but there is undoubtedly plenty of value in Scandinavian and Eastern European leagues, never mind those outside Europe.

There definitely will be talent there. Won’t be a popular opinion but Matt O’Riley 100% gets into our team at the moment.
It’s just that for every Joe Aribo there are 10 Lee Hodsons.

There are some decent players in league 1 but there are not loads of them and need to carefully pick targets from it.

But if you look at Aribo / ORiley / Twine etc who all played there - there is talent there but equally plenty of players who we would say are no where near good enough Ryan Hardie for example.

You tend not to get your moneys worth shopping down there, im not believing there isn’t better options in the European leagues than league one.

Probably not much difference in the overall standard of League 1 England vs top tier Denmark, Sweden, etc.

Similarities in the overall standard maybe, but there aren't many players in League 1 that will go on to be full internationals for a top 20 country. The top tier Denmark, Swedish, Croatian leagues will have a number of players who will go on to be full internationals if you can get them when they're young enough.

If we are signing from that league it needs to be a proper standout talent like aribo , which turned out to be an unbelievable signing

This place would go baws-oot fucking bonkers if we signed a player from League One.

I really don't care where they come from, but a 25 year old would normally have been scouted and playing at a higher level if he was genuinely good enough to do so. You're not really signing potential at that age, so if that's his level at 25, then that's probably his level. And yes, I know there's always the odd late developer, but generally speaking I'd say anyone we sign from that league would ideally be no older than 21 / 22.

Most guys who are 25 & over and still in League 1 are there for a reason.

Would need to be players in the 18-22 bracket with room to grow.

Jesuran Rak-Sakyi at Charlton is one though. On loan from Palace but 10 goals & 5 assists at the age of 20.

The best young players I've seen in the lower leagues in England all tend to be loanees from the EPL big guns..

Whittaker was a standout player there are one or two others who have looked good any game I have been to but nothing else has stood out for me. Like the poster above says most of the better ones are on loan from higher up the pyramid.
The Cambridge right back Bennet will not be with them long , young lad, great engine , good tackler when they go down I expect him to move to someone better.

Which league did Ivan Toney come from? Was he in League 1?
Yeah and Rangers were looking at him before he joined Brentford

He was more heavily linked with celtic, we certainly weren’t gambling a total of £10million on someone who had bounced around a number of clubs

He also went from League 1 to the Championship to the EFL with Brentford.

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2012–2015Northampton Town53(11)
2015–2018Newcastle United2(0)
2015Barnsley (loan)6(1)
2016Barnsley (loan)9(0)
2016–2017Shrewsbury Town (loan)19(6)
2017Scunthorpe United (loan)15(6)
2017–2018Wigan Athletic (loan)24(4)
2018Scunthorpe United (loan)16(8)
2018–2020Peterborough United76(40)
2020–Brentford103(59

Most guys who are 25 & over and still in League 1 are there for a reason.

Would need to be players in the 18-22 bracket with room to grow.

Jesuran Rak-Sakyi at Charlton is one though. On loan from Palace but 10 goals & 5 assists at the age of 20.

Was Vardy not in league 1 until that age?

I'd trust Michael Beale's encyclopaedic knowledge of Players to identify one or two in League One or indeed below.

It's about the Player rather than the League they currently find themselves in.
Different times of course but Juve signed Torricelli from a fourth team amateur side. To turn our nose up at players in League One or League Two just because of the league isn't fair. People want us scouting eastern Europe or Scandinavia but there's some League One sides who would fair not bad in the top flight there.

If someone is 25 years old and still playing in League One then I'd suggest that's their level.

Wigan have a loan from Slavia Prague, Christ Tiehi, 24.

He has stood out since his first game, defensive midfielder so not exactly a priority area, however he does look a cut above, he always seems to be winning the ball & has that nack of not losing possession in tight areas.

They have an agreement to buy for £800,000 if they stay in the championship, which is highly unlikely!

I'm not saying he's a must buy, but that's the type of succession transfer that could fit the business model.

Wigan have a loan from Slavia Prague, Christ Tiehi, 24.

He has stood out since his first game, defensive midfielder so not exactly a priority area, however he does look a cut above, he always seems to be winning the ball & has that nack of not losing possession in tight areas.

They have an agreement to buy for £800,000 if they stay in the championship, which is highly unlikely!

I'm not saying he's a must buy, but that's the type of succession transfer that could fit the business model.

See to me defensive midfield/ centre midfield is THE priority area. We are weak in what is basically the spine of our team, until we sort that area of the team out we can forget about the rest of it.

Hopefully Raskin and Cantwell will improve that. But for me we definitely need to cut ties with some of the current options and bring in at least one more option in there, ideally someone who is young, physically imposing (we lack height across the team), powerful, strong in the tackle, fast; mobile and energy and can pass forwards quickly.

Don’t know the work permit situation but with fees in mind I would be tempted to look outwith Europe or even in some of the second tier leagues within with bigger nations in Europe might be worth a shot?

This place would go baws-oot fucking bonkers if we signed a player from League One.
This place is already baws-oot bonkers though. Any signing who doesn't have similar stats to Haaland within their first 2 weeks is an abject failure according to most. We can also only sign players from the EPL or La Liga (but top 5 only). Oh, they also need to be cheap, young, play in several positions and preferably have never mentioned they support Rangers.

Championship (but they had just been relegated to league one when he joined) he was actually Wigans reserve RB, he struggled to make an impact as James Perch was first Choice!
Aye both Tav and Waghorn were signed from League One Wigan. I think Tav was on loan at Bristol City because he couldn't get a game.

Back