Livi's new pitch already receiving criticism

You know a lot of ‘grass’ pitches now are integrated with astro! It’s the future!
Its the evolution of what started out as the seeded mat for golf aprons a couple of decades back.

Im not a massive fan of astro in any guise but it exists. What i would say is that a team should be afforded the right to a training session on it.

If it was just laid last week and Livi have been told that it will take at least 3 to 4 weeks to bed in, why the feck are the SPFL allowing them to use it at present.

It's the equivalent of taking the turf off the pitch at Ibrox and playing a match a week after throwing down some grass seed.

The SPFL Board should be sorting out things like this, rather than constantly looking for ways to punish us.

First time I saw my lad playing on one of these pitches as I approached from the distance I genuinely thought they were playing with a black ball !

Cost cutting exercise.

Mate look at the thing. The players will be taking off their boots every 5 minutes to empty out the wee black ball things. You'd get carpet burn making a slide challenge ffs. You are genuinely the only person I've seen defending the pitch so far. It's awful.
Totally agree we should ban the use use of these pitches they continually cause injuries which we know to our cost.

Yes, but they do still degrade and the remnants can find their way into the lungs.

In any significant quantities? Any more so than any other of the 1000s of chemicals we inhale every day? Even in the US examples where the tyre pieces were potentially dangerous, the concern was for goalkeepers as they spend most time on the deck.

In any significant quantities? Any more so than any other of the 1000s of chemicals we inhale every day? Even in the US examples where the tyre pieces were potentially dangerous, the concern was for goalkeepers as they spend most time on the deck.
Don't know the figures but i can imagine when breathing heavy it would be plenty.

“The pitch is the pitch. We dealt with it, Livingston dealt with it, we just got on with the game. We tried our best to win it. We take the point — four points from our first two games — and move on.”

I wonder if Clarke will still see things that way if he were to get the gig at the midden after Brenda leaves and he is charged with looking after the health of the Gallowgate Galacticos.:D

I think you’ll find that is bull.

I am 38 and was playing on astro at 16 years old with a good professional team through youth and reserve! It is a massive area of play in Scotland and in countries where weather is poor! To say these guys can’t play on it is an excuse. Yes it is different to grass but tell any footballer what they’d prefer.....a hard bobbly grass pitch or a good 4G I’m sure they’d pick the surface best suited to football - 4G!
Totally disagree. Decent grass surface, all day long.

Forgive me for asking as my knowledge on how Plastic pitches are made is very minimal

But.....how does a plastic pitch need time to bed in?
The same reason as to why a carpet takes a few weeks to settle down/bed in

Last edited:
I dont think I have ever watched a good game on one of these pitches.

Shouldnt be allowed.

This, for me, is the only point worthy of discussion on this entire thread.

Every single game I've ever watched on these shite pitches has been crap. Players stuggling to get passes under control. Balls bouncing in bizarre ways catching everybody out. The ball holding up when you expect it to skip on. Sliding tackles off limits unless you want a skin graft at full time.

It's the quality of the entertainment on these shite pitches that is the issue. Perfectly good for training. Perfectly good for kids games in the winter. Should be banned from top flight football. This is supposed to be an entertainment business

A good grass park is always better than an astrograss park. Even the day after it you're always a lot sorer having played on an artificial surface.

Also, can anyone name a game that's been played on 4G that blew you away? I honestly don't remember seeing a single decent match played on a plastic pitch at the top level.

Back