Managers Substitutions

Whats peoples opinions when the manager makes 2-3 substitutions and none of them provide an assist or goals to change a game? Is that bad management and a failure. I see it so often that the subs don't make any difference to a game maybe the odd 1 in 3 games, which is not good enough.

Whats peoples opinions when the manager makes 2-3 substitutions and none of them provide an assist or goals to change a game? Is that bad management and a failure. I see it so often that the subs don't make any difference to a game maybe the odd 1 in 3 games, which is not good enough.

How often do subs in general come on and make a difference, provide an assist or score a goal? I honestly don't know how Pedros statistics compare to the world of football outside Rangers.

Its rare even in games other than Rangers playing that you hear the commentator say that is a masterstroke by the manager making a substitution its rare and it's worrying.

So Pena and Windass made no difference in the Dundee game?

So Pena and Windass made no difference in the Dundee game?
Took the words right out of my mouth although i do think he got it wrong in starting Niko that match. For me the Patrick match was the perfect example of why we should have bought Walker. Both wingers had a bad game and we had nobody on the bench we could trust to come on.

No it's not a failure because more often or not we are thinking exact same

Was it Pedros fault Pena was hopeless the other night? Nope

But I certainly wanted him on

Sometimes they are baffling but a sub is a gamble all the time, otherwise they would be starting
Lewis (my son) and I both watched Pena after he came on as a sub, his positional sense is amazing, he is ALWAYS there for the easy pass but a lot of our players are either too thick to see IT (the easy pass) or our players are not being Taught this simple but Very Efficient thing to be doing, pick the easy pass as you advance....that PSG lot did it ALL Game against the filth, all game... made septic players all look SO STUPID, great to watch :)

Pedro's substitutions at least seem like a reaction to something he is seeing and he tries to make a change that will turn the game in our favor. Under Warburton the substitutions were set on a timer and you could always tell when the 60 minute sub was about to come on.

Last edited:
The pena and herrera sub against Dundee yes it did work, but since then its not? Its inconsistency mark warburton was the same.

Walter was amazing sending Novo on from the subs bench. However, managers hardly get the subs right to make a difference in the game it's usually the player from the starting line up who makes the difference. Sending a player on after 60 mins imo is not worth it unless its an injury or a kranjcar type of player who can't last. I think managers should makes 2 subs at half time as subs made in the 80th min are useless and not effective.

This is why I want Pena on from the start, win the game first and then if he cant do 90 min. sub him and close the game down.

Back