McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

Really makes you wonder where the succession planning is? Running around last minute renewing mcgregors contract not thinking about the young guy who's shown he could handle it when given the chance.

I don't have any opinion on the lads quality but this is the fourth management team that have loaned him out or decided he wasn't capable to be number 2.

Granted the first two may have thought he was too inexperienced to be back up I do wonder why Gerrard and now Gio have shared the same opinion over what will be 5 seasons.

I could be way off the mark but I sense many had it in their heads he was the next in line based on the similar journey McGregor faced in his early days rather than actually having any real insight into the lads ability. I wonder if the same emotions would be displayed if he was a scouse lad that didn't support us.

It’s the one contract extension that I believe will bite us on the backside!!

If AM is No1 next year, we will drop points because of him, the defence will become more insecure and we will lose possession through him time and time again! I’m also saying this as a fan of his by the way.

As for RM, he needs to play. Best outcome is he signs a new deal and goes out on loan again
Sadly he wil be number 1 , he hasn’t signed a new deal to be back up.

What complete pish. One of these rejects just played in a Europa League final and the other is a recent-ish Scotland international who has never put a foot wrong for us.

So we prefer the keeper who couldn't get in the first team at Livingston and looked absolutely shocking on the odd occasion he did?

You need to drink less in the afternoon

A new contract for a 40 year old who is prone to making mistakes? Brilliant business eh?

Neither McGregor nor McGlaughlin are good enough to be Rangers first choice keeper. McCrorie had scope to progress. The other 2 don't. So we're essentially going to have to find a new first choice keeper or go with either of the 2 older options. And then replace one of them next summer.

McGregor should be nowhere near Rangers. He's absolutely done. He's getting a new contract because we're struggling to recruit a new keeper.

Mistakes already from Wilson.
Balogun should have got another year as we have a one constantly fit centre half.
Mcgregor should have been let go as should Davis.
Arfield getting a year was 50/50 in my book but is a good few years younger than the rest.
I am starting to understand why SG fucked off.
I don't know what Arfield done to merit another year? Already looks like his legs are going.

Davis well ahead of him and deserved it for me.

Balogun deserved another year.

Disgraceful to hand McGregor another year.

I just cannot get my head around what Wilson is trying to do at the moment, if he is actually trying to do anything as a plan and not winging it at the moment. He doesn't seem to have any direction. Doesn't seem to have any plans for the future.

Be interesting to see what does happen over the next couple of weeks but I think Wilson is just coming across as either a bit useless or has his hands tied behind his back.

I've been one of McGregor's biggest critics over the last year but blaming him for Seville is mental. Nobody is saving those penalties.

What he did do though, was making a number of errors in the league that effectively cost us the title. Hearts, Motherwell, Ross County, Celtic and a few more as well where he was poor. Not to mention his inability to come for a cross.

His time should have been up.

What we really need is an undeniable number 1. No debate, no doubt, just a clearly better keeper than all our others. McLaughlin & McGregor are arguably even in terms of how their styles balance each other out. Ideally, we’d have brought in a younger more dynamic keeper that would lead the GK 3. McCrorie is still unproven, I’d be loaning him out if he’s not keen on staying as a backup.

Not easily done, but that’s what we’d need to progress in that area, IMO.

Allan McGregor has a superb Rangers pedigree.

I really hope from the bottom of my heart next season doesnt taint that.

(Ps… utter gutter journalism, packed with nonsese cliches).

On a final note, all the best Robbie. At 24, this is undoubttely a tough decdion, but the right one.

Once a Ranger, Always a Ranger.

Forever Ready.

I don't know what Arfield done to merit another year? Already looks like his legs are going.

Balogun is the only one that merited it and would be an asset with 3 centre halves including Katic who are a worry with injuries

Unless we win the league and he is integral you mean?
Then there may well be a lot of folk with egg on their faces….
He won’t be though, we won’t win the League if he’s our number one, feel free to bookmark this post.

Absolutely pathetic that we are gonna lose a keeper with so much potential for a 40 year old on a one year deal.

Davis didnt deserve another contract. If Arfield's legs are gone then what are Davis' legs? Steven Davis gets a pass on here because of who he is. He's finished and isnt fit enough to be anything other than an occasional bit part player.

If we don't improve a side that fell short over the course of a full league season then we're not winning the title next year. Fans need to be prepared for a very disappointing window based on what we're seeing so far.

Getting Goldson to sign for 4 more years.

If you’re going to critique Wilson maybe present all the facts?
For Goldson it would have been easy, theres the offer, maybe baloguns wages were used on top of his existing.
I think you will agree, we need new players and not projects nor squad players.
Yes we have turned a corner but the fact remains this group has won 2 out of 12 trophies since SG / Gio arrived.

What was his little cameo all about at the SC final then? It's poor show from a 40 year old keeper to keep a young one put second place imo. Forget his blunders last season, why take one more year at 4 when a young keeper could be getting much needed cup games and experience maybe in Europe.

Thanks for everything Allan but this summer was the time to go. As much as love loved him and appreciated everything he's done.

Arfie and Davo taking the game to the tims in the semi

Can't help but feel this is incredibly short sighted from the club. Long way to go in the transfer market but the early signs are not good, not good at all.

Partly right, would you if SG wish to deal in frees and giving deals to 40 year olds.

That happens when your 2020-2021 turnover is £183.6 million vs Rangers at £47.7 (for the same time period).

When you have almost a 4X advantage in turnover, you can sign better players by offering them silly money.

Davis didnt deserve another contract. If Arfield's legs are gone then what are Davis' legs? Steven Davis gets a pass on here because of who he is. He's finished and isnt fit enough to be anything other than an occasional bit part player.

If we don't improve a side that fell short over the course of a full league season then we're not winning the title next year. Fans need to be prepared for a very disappointing window based on what we're seeing so far.
Sorry but Davis still looked quite sharp when he was actually given a chance under Gio.

I still think he has a bit to offer.

I think we seen Arfield and McGregor regressing big time.

First team star...two games...right!!! Just realized I was only two games away from being a Rangers first team star then, a good headline for my ego at least. What a load of crap? If he is a first team star, we should look forward to the $5-10mm we should get for him then. Ah, you don't believe that either. What hyperbolic nonsense from Chris Jack! Third choice keeper with no more than potential might leave Rangers...YAWN!

If we don't improve a side that fell short over the course of a full league season then we're not winning the title next year.l Fans need to be prepared for a very disappointing window based on what we're seeing so far.
I can’t get my head round so much negativity over stuff that hasn’t happened yet.
To me, it’s quite a strange way of looking at things.

When you see a 40yr old who has had a bit of a 'mare of a season win a new deal is it any wonder?

I just don't understand this at all - this squad needed a refresh yet we are offering new contracts to players who's best days are behind them.

This whole thing smacks of a cost cutting exercise to me.

Since January the talk has been about needing a new keeper.
To replace McGregor.

And now with him being offered a new deal, it can help sound the death knell at Ibrox for young Robbie.

I also see the priority so far seems to be to try and let the status quo remain.Keep what we have, rather than add that special player/s that might mean Champions League football.

So far.
Not exactly, encouraging.
Still time.

He needs to leave now to play a full season of first team football, whether that's out on loan or permanent. Me personally i'd rather he went on loan or have a buyback clause in place. At his age he needs regular games not to sit as 2nd/3rd choice

This whole thing smacks of a cost cutting exercise to me.

Since January the talk has been about needing a new keeper.
To replace McGregor.

And now with him being offered a new deal, it can help sound the death knell at Ibrox for young Robbie.

I also see the priority so far seems to be to try and let the status quo remain.Keep what we have, rather than add that special player/s that might mean Champions League football.

So far.
Not exactly, encouraging.
Still time.
The talk where? I never heard anyone from Rangers comment on it.

Some amount of panty-wetting for a guy that's played twice for us. He's 24 and wasn't even first choice at Livingston. Can't be that arsed about playing if he goes to Man United tbf. Won't lose any sleep if he leaves, JM and AM are still far superior keepers.

Really makes you wonder where the succession planning is? Running around last minute renewing mcgregors contract not thinking about the young guy who's shown he could handle it when given the chance.
Ffs..

Either you agree with McGregor resigning or you don't.

Either you agree with letting McCrorie leave or you don't.

But it is hardly the last frigging minute.

The reaction to the new contract has been staggering, I get some people thinking it’s a mistake but some of the pish that has been posted about McGregor has been way over the top.
It’s been hysterical and down right disrespectful to mcgregor.now of course you can express doubts over his contract extension but some of what I have read since the announcement,I would say defies belief but it’s FF and sadly it doesn’t.

My take on this is that we wanted McCrorie to stay as the back up keeper but he's wanting first team football. We resigned McGregor to give us that cover and it's allowed us to move McCrorie on. All assumption on my part but it's a logical scenario
McGregor isn’t going to be the back up,JM may play more games this upcoming season but he will still be number 2

The reaction to the new contract has been staggering, I get some people thinking it’s a mistake but some of the pish that has been posted about McGregor has been way over the top.
He looked like a guy who had overstayed his time for a fairly big % of last season.

I’m not wholly convinced that McCrorie was ever going to be first choice, but I’m even less convinced that losing a promising 24 year old year old keeper by choosing to retain a diminishing 40 year old for one more season is the correct decision.

An absolutely fucking wild move by the club.
Very much this. Saw rumours he was told he'd get more game time then something's happened and they elected to keep AM instead. Feel back for RM and this seems a bad move. Time will tell.

Very much this. Saw rumours he was told he'd get more game time then something's happened and they elected to keep AM instead. Feel back for RM and this seems a bad move. Time will tell.
The only thing I would say is that while I’m not sure about the value in losing a promising 24 year old for the sake of keeping a 40 year for a single season more, the club have clearly looked at the youth players and ensured the absolute standouts like Alex Lowry are safe.

It's only staggering if you never watched him playing last season.
No, they have been staggering regardless of his performance last season.

Some highlights:

- Stole someone’s cup final moment
- Cringeworthy
- Feel ‘animosity’ towards McGregor
- Saves against Sparta weren’t that good
- Didn’t actually play well in Europe
- People only thought his saves were good because they were so surprised he made any
- Was out of position for a goal that was chopped off

That’s purely just people having a tantrum because they wanted a new keeper and trying to throw as much shit at McGregor as possible.

Back