McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

He looked like a guy who had overstayed his time for a fairly big % of last season.
Which is a perfectly valid opinion to hold mate, my issue is with the over the top stuff to try and reinforce why McGregor signing is the worst thing to ever happen.

It’s bordering on people just lining up to abuse a guy who is a Rangers legend.

Because he wasn’t given the backing promises if you watch his interview with Gary Neville on the Overlap.
There is Gerrard's spin
The club's spin
and the truth

I am going to go with the truth (which we will never know). In the absence of the truth, I will believe the club over a guy who didn't win a lot of trophies up here and left for the money.

Absolute bizarre from the club.

McGregor had his his goodbye at the cup final (which with hindsight looks ridiculous now with him staying).

McCrorie has chance to be a top keeper and should be number 2 this season challenging McLaughlin.

McGregor is absolutely past it and should be number 3 choice at most. Goram arguably cost us the league in 1997/98 with amount of daft mistakes he made that season and being clearly past it but we gave him extra season instead of replacing him. McGregor arguably cost us the title last season with his blunders.

Have to say, whilst I wasn't really in favour of McGregor staying I'm far from convinced McCrorie was good enough to be back-up 'keeper anyway. Did well against the Dhims but his previous loans at Livi were a real mixed bag - started well then went to ratshit. Yes, he was young but he failed to convince.

Staying at Ibrox was no good to him if he was only going to get a handful of games, even if he was the second-choice ahead of either McGregor or McLaughlin, so it was either leave on loan or on a permanent deal. I think the latter the better option for Rangers as we should get a decent enough fee at this stage, which might not have been the case if he had another inconsistent loan.

Goalkeeper and striker must easily be the two hardest positions to make the grade from the Academy at Rangers.

Which is a perfectly valid opinion to hold mate, my issue is with the over the top stuff to try and reinforce why McGregor signing is the worst thing to ever happen.

From a playing perspective I don't think it actually gets much worse than that spell McGregor had. He was hopeless domestically and it cost us big time.

Maybe its just wishful thinking, but perhaps we have another keeper lined up to take the number one spot and McCrorie has been given the news early to seek out another club where he can get some game time. Just a thought.

McGregor had his his goodbye at the cup final (which with hindsight looks ridiculous now with him staying).

McCrorie has chance to be a top keeper and should be number 2 this season challenging McLaughlin.

McGregor is absolutely past it and should be number 3 choice at most. Goram arguably cost us the league in 1997/98 with amount of daft mistakes he made that season and being clearly past it but we gave him extra season instead of replacing him. McGregor arguably cost us the title last season with his blunders.
Absolutely not having that. I can remember 2, the mishit clearance at home to Hearts that McCann finished and trying to dribble Robbie Winters at Tannadice and making a complete balls of it, beyond that im struggling to remember any more, or any more in Goram’s Rangers career tbh. He is way way down the list of reasons we lost that tile, he still had great games that season where he performed brilliantly, including a couple of OF games.

he should be given a chance. I don’t agree with the one year extension. It’s all about the future. I wouldn’t blame the lad for looking for a move. He knows he’s good enough.

So is Gazza but I wouldn't want him playing centre mid next season would you?
I’m not sure how thing is relevant to what I posted but it would be equivalent to Gazza turning up and people then saying his performance against Aberdeen to secure the league wasn’t actually that good.

There's an undercurrent on here mate, in general, who see nothing wrong with ripping players to bits.

They can't and won't accept when it's over the top, & will go on, & on, & on trying to justify it.

He who shouts the loudest.

The travesty is that some people actually listen to it, & adopt it in some cases.

Have to say, whilst I wasn't really in favour of McGregor staying I'm far from convinced McCrorie was good enough to be back-up 'keeper anyway. Did well against the Dhims but his previous loans at Livi were a real mixed bag - started well then went to ratshit. Yes, he was young but he failed to convince.

Staying at Ibrox was no good to him if he was only going to get a handful of games, even if he was the second-choice ahead of either McGregor or McLaughlin, so it was either leave on loan or on a permanent deal. I think the latter the better option for Rangers as we should get a decent enough fee at this stage, which might not have been the case if he had another inconsistent loan.

Goalkeeper and striker must easily be the two hardest positions to make the grade from the Academy at Rangers.
Agree re McCrorie, especially his spell at Livi. Only time will tell if he's going to be as good as some of the predictions being banded about.

I suspect he'll now want a permanent move away so we should try & get a decent sell on fee and/or first refusal on a buy-back

One of the reasons I was less down than most on the McGregor deal was because of how few home grown players we have in the European squad. If his re-signing costs us one of the others then it doesn't seem worth it - particularly where they are in their respective careers.

Could also have done with sorting it out earlier so we could have gone replacement shopping earlier in the window. I would have taken Siegrist as a backup before he signed for Bheast fc

What you mean people are going off the deep end before their is any actual evidence he’s being sold
Alternatively the club are feeding fan media what they want the fans to believe?

May be a coincidence but last night/this morning the news breaks, fans in uproar by and large. This afternoon two well known separate fan media report a loan was always on the cards

Very very disappointing to see him leave. Looks like hes got the talent to make it and what message does that send to the youth teams. Rather give a 40 year old another deal than develop you. Not great.

At 24 he needs to be playing regularly and much as I’ve sung Shaggers praises over the years, this is a season too far for me.

Wilson will likely regret this one in the future.

What's it got to do with Wilson when it's Gio making the decisions given he's the manager? If we had brought another keeper in that everybody wanted that isn't called Mcgregor then they wouldn't have an issue with McCrorie wanting to leave to play football. He's went a full season only playing 2 games he needs to get out and get that spell from Livingston behind him and kick on.

Makes plenty sense
I’m all ears

From what I see, a 40 year old error prone keeper last season, 41 during this coming season

If he’s number 1 we’re in trouble as last season showed in the league. At his age he’s only going one way and it’s downhill

If he’s number 2, he won’t be match sharp so even more unreliable this coming season if he’s called upon

I’m all ears

From what I see, a 40 year old error prone keeper last season, 41 during this coming season

If he’s number 1 we’re in trouble as last season showed in the league. At his age he’s only going one way and it’s downhill

If he’s number 2, he won’t be match sharp so even more unreliable this coming season if he’s called upon
He will be match sharp as just like McLaughlin the past two seasons he will play cup ties

People making a mountain out of a proverbial molehill

If the possibility of McCrorie leaving as a consequence of McGregor being given an extension was not factored into the decision-making re McGregor then that is mental. If it was factored in then we either have a replacement lined up or just misjudged the situation.

In any event, the whole pathway to the first team continues to be less than inspiring.

Rangers don't comment on anything.
Doesn't mean they weren't thinking about it.

But you may be the only one that thought McGregor was resigning.
If so.
Kudos to you.
I genuinely didn’t know if he would be staying or not. When he came on in the final I thought that was it but straight after the game he said nothing had been decided.

If the possibility of McCrorie leaving as a consequence of McGregor being given an extension was not factored into the decision-making re McGregor then that is mental. If it was factored in then we either have a replacement lined up or just misjudged the situation.

In any event, the whole pathway to the first team continues to be less than inspiring.
Also could be that GVB doesn’t see McCrorie as his first choice keeper and is happy for him to leave either on loan or permanently.

On his day Balogun is immense and his tackling and pace are excellent.

I genuinely didn’t know if he would be staying or not. When he came on in the final I thought that was it but straight after the game he said nothing had been decided.
I don't think McGregor even knew himself whether he was staying or leaving in all honesty.

But I'm not sure going forward what kind of message this sends to the fringe players right now.
With all the Og's Arfield, Davis, and now McGregor handed extensions.

Certainly not encouraging if you are thinking about trying to break into the first team.

No doubt that’s true but you cold say the same about Goldson’s errors, Barisic’s errors, Morelos errors, Roofe’s errors, Gerrard’s errors and Gio’s errors.
Infact, many have.

Last edited:
From a playing perspective I don't think it actually gets much worse than that spell McGregor had. He was hopeless domestically and it cost us big time.
Have you ever wondered why, Gio in this case, sees it differently?
I wonder every time and I’ve decided the only reason can be is that he’s a cinch operator who is doing utmost to sabotage our chances and damage his own career and legacy.

Have you ever wondered why, Gio in this case, sees it differently?
I wonder every time and I’ve decided the only reason can be is that he’s a cinch operator who is doing utmost to sabotage our chances and damage his own career and legacy.
My thoughts also....

Really can't understand it.

It's a big call by the club, we've invested a lot of time in Robby hoping he'd be our number 1.

Can't blame the boy for wanting to go be his own man now considering his age, I just hope we as a club don't regret it.

I personally think one of two things will happen here with big Robby:

1) He'll be given a year contract extension and loaned back out to a Scottish Premiership side on loan for the season.

2) He'll be sold permanently, but also used as a makeweight for someone to come the other way to us from the club he joins, in a cash plus player deal.

I think we may need to consider that McCrorie is simply not deemed to be good enough by those running the club, Gio included, and they may very well be right.

Can't blame him in all honesty.

McGregor getting a new deal and us losing a promising goalkeeping talent tells you everything that is wrong with the direction of the club. There is no long term planning.

What happens now next summer. Do we just hope McGregor keeps playing until he's 50 and hope for the best?

Back