McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

If it is true and he moves on to get more game time then you can’t blame him. Not seen a lot of him apart from the few games he played last season and I thought he looked decent enough.

Only time will tell tho but I hope with the decision to gig mcgregor another year doesn’t come back to haunt us.

Can't blame him but as i said in the transfer thread it feels like McGregor signing a new deal wasn't expected by many at the club. The coming on in the final couple of minutes of the final game of the season and Gio apparently making assurances to McCrorie over game time. Neither of those make sense if the plan was always to keep McGregor.

My take on this is that we wanted McCrorie to stay as the back up keeper but he's wanting first team football. We resigned McGregor to give us that cover and it's allowed us to move McCrorie on. All assumption on my part but it's a logical scenario

McCrorie was never going to be our number 1 this season no matter what IMO. That's the harsh reality of it

Not too fussed about RM leaving. Annoyed at AM new deal. Will be apoplectic if AM is the no1 next season.
Unless we win the league and he is integral you mean?
Then there may well be a lot of folk with egg on their faces….

I, like others, absolutely understand his decision.

But, the harsh truth is that he is unlikely to ever make the grade as our first team keeper. 2 managers and martendale thought the same. Ultimately, when we remove the emotion of him being one f us, he is similar to his brother. Good, with potential, but not likely to be at our level.

All the best to him.
Aaaah some sense in a sea of reactionary bollocks.

My take on this is that we wanted McCrorie to stay as the back up keeper but he's wanting first team football. We resigned McGregor to give us that cover and it's allowed us to move McCrorie on. All assumption on my part but it's a logical scenario
I agree, and just maybe we have a better keeper in the pipeline.

But, the harsh truth is that he is unlikely to ever make the grade as our first team keeper. 2 managers and martendale thought the same. Ultimately, when we remove the emotion of him being one f us, he is similar to his brother. Good, with potential, but not likely to be at our level.

All the best to him.
I genuinely think not one fùck would be given had McGregor not signed again.

I seriously doubt anyone really saw McCrorie as a long term Rangers number 1.

People using his time at Livingston as proof he isn't good enough, he played 23 league games and had a mixed spell but would have learned massively from it at that age.

At the same age McGregor was playing in Division 1 for St Johnstone on loan.

Other than his two starts last season (Celtic and Alashkert) along with a few matches for Livingston, I have barely seen McCrorie play so I couldn't tell his strengths and weaknesses?

I do however believe that Allan McGregor should have been moved on with a new number 1 brought in. Don't agree with giving McGregor a new deal at all.

I'd still go and get a number 1.

I genuinely think not one fùck would be given had McGregor not signed again.

I seriously doubt anyone really saw McCrorie as a long term Rangers number 1.
Agree. Its weird though as its not like us as a support to deploy the 'knee jerk reaction'.

*enter papac eyes emoji

Had we bought a top class gk McCrorie would have had an even less chance of being number one; with McGregor being the age he is, this was perfect for him for him to make a breakthrough this season. That is if he is good enough to begin with.

Luckily we got Lowry on a longer deal before renewing arfield n davis deals or he'd have been off too.

Resigning players in their late 30s when we have decent youth coming through will make them all want to leave and you cant blame them.

His development has stalled the past two years, maybe we are to blame for that given we kept him for a season just there, but I think the best move for both parties is for McCrorie to get a move elsewhere anyway. He will be a solid SPFL keeper, and hopefully he progresses like we all hoped he would and ends up back here further down the road.

People using his time at Livingston as proof he isn't good enough, he played 23 league games and had a mixed spell but would have learned massively from it at that age.

McGregor had the likes of Klos to compete with. and was on the bench as a 16yo. McRorie had Alnwick and Fod and was unable to make an impact.

Im sure he is and will be a good keeper but he was never being our number 1. If he wasn't a rangers man who had been with us for years, nobody would care.

Ross McRorie was the future of Rangers until Gerrard thought and proved otherwise.
Perhaps GvB has the same view re Robby (though not convinced about keeping McGregor unless McGregor is replacing Firth).

You will have wanted McCrorie in as number one, obviously; I can't comment on that because I haven't seen enough of him.

No, I would prefer McLaughlin.

McCrorie leaving is a direct result of McGregors extension... That's what I'm saying.

Not really sure how you read anything else into my words but that's FF for you.

Still think we will be signing a new first team keeper, already been linked with Butland and Johnston (just signed with palace)

Joke from the club.

Mcrorie may or may not have went on to do well for us but we should have rolled that dice instead of re signing a 40 year old who'll cost us points and possibly the league again.

There's a horrible mentality towards our youth.

Arfield getting an unwarranted extension at the expense of young Lowry who looks a great wee player is just one example.

The old guard always come out on top when it comes to building a squad.
I am finding it hard to argue with you. So far the most underwhelming contract extensions (Goldson aside) that I’ve seen in a long long while.

No, I would prefer McLaughlin.

McCrorie leaving is a direct result of McGregors extension... That's what I'm saying.

Not really sure how you read anything else into my words but that's FF for you.
I still don't get it, is he good enough or not? Is he better than McGregor, in your opinion?

Should we use that measurement for all loanees? Jake Hastie, Glenn Middleton they would have learned a lot from their loan spells but I don’t want them anywhere near our current first team.

It would have been a nice story getting another academy player in goals, but maybe he just isn’t at the level expected.

All the best to him.
Gerrard had a plan in place for his future and he said as much after the old firm. Saw him as a potential number one but to be a main goalkeeper when McGregor moved on. That should’ve been this season where he should be our cup keeper if he stayed and wasn't loaned out.

Absolutely disgraceful tbh, everyone other than Ross Wilson can see Mcgregor is clearly a season too far never mind 2, and to lose a top prospect who by all means is not ready for the number 1 spot just yet especially when we have a more than capable number 1 in mclaughlin (who was better than mcgregor last season whenever he got a chance) is sheer madness and shows no forward thinking.

Not only that but mcgregor is a club legend, but if he is number 1 this year and continues to diminish in performance like he did last year and ultimately cost us as a team in the same way this season it will be a very sour end to an amazing career.

Something doesn't seem right with our transfer business, we are not following the player trading model with youth prospects from the acadamy like we should be doing, but instead running the exact same set of players into the ground while their contracts expire or until they lose their highest value due to age and/or performances.

And don't even get me started with the absolute shambles of our loan signings last season...

I haven't seen enough of him to know if long term he is the answer.

What i do know is that losing a young player in this way is going to add to the pressure on McGregor and Gio if he starts the season as #1. The first big mistake he makes and a pretty large section of fans are going to be on his back and clamouring for change. Ironically this is similar to how he came into the team originally with fans on the back of Letizi...if nothing else it's going to be sad to see his career end this way.

Sam Johnstone was our big target and Palace announced the other day he’d agreed to join them.

That’ll have set in motion this keeper shuffling. It’s really not ideal but I can see Zander Clark joining now.

• Haha
Reactions: CF4
Our recruitment/contracts so far this summer seems to be extremely short sighted. It’s very a much a kick the can down the road and we’ll deal with it next summer approach. Keeping McGregor and losing McCrorie doesn’t sit right with me.

Plenty of time left in the window so let’s hope things improve.

McGregor signing is a strange one. I don’t think it’s the right call, but I only hope it’s as number 2.

McCrorie needs to play so in principal needs to leave because he wasn’t going to get that with us. Does feel like he’s being pushed but may be wrong and good money on the table for him.

Such a shame. This need to keep McGregor on could be a terrible move for so many reasons. Not seeing the remotest worth in Wilson at the moment.

Gerrard had a plan in place for his future and he said as much after the old firm. Saw him as a potential number one but to be a main goalkeeper when McGregor moved on. That should’ve been this season where he should be our cup keeper if he stayed and wasn't loaned out.
Gerrard also never played him after that game. He also said he thought Ross would be a future captain and that Halliday was vital to the team.

Ultimately he realised, and probably always knew, that none of them were good enough for us to go the direction we wanted.

Luckily we got Lowry on a longer deal before renewing arfield n davis deals or he'd have been off too.

Resigning players in their late 30s when we have decent youth coming through will make them all want to leave and you cant blame them.

And here is the crux of the problem

We always shout about youth getting a chance but they hardly ever do, bar a few exceptions.

It all depends on whether Gio actually thinks he is good enough or not. Given he has authorised an extension for McGregor I’d suggest not.

Gerrard also never played him after that game. He also said he thought Ross would be a future captain and that Halliday was vital to the team.

Ultimately he realised, and probably always knew, that none of them were good enough for us to go the direction we wanted.
Quite an assumption considering Gerrard left months later

McGregor signing is a strange one. I don’t think it’s the right call, but I only hope it’s as number 2.

McCrorie needs to play so in principal needs to leave because he wasn’t going to get that with us. Does feel like he’s being pushed but may be wrong and good money on the table for him.
McGregor and McLaughlin will obviously trying to claim the top position; if McCrorie isn't at that level, it isn't McGregor's problem.

Back