McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

Reads very much like speculation. If he goes and it’s still McGregor as No. 1 then what did that say to the rest of the youngsters!

They ultimately have to be good enough though, we can’t just play the youth for the sake of it.

Doing that sort of made us 16 million though TBH.

If not for Tav being injured we likely barely see Patterson to have the career he has so far.

Injury and absence was a factor in the games Bassey was given

McCrorie played for the sake of it last year against Celtic, and.... the world didn't end

I’ve not read through the thread but I can safely assume there is outrage?

I’m not going to get angry at this, I doubt very much that McCrorie was going to be our long term no.1 in any case, he’s a decent keeper, nothing more.

Give it time though and we will be losing potentially the greatest keeper in our history, a cross between Lev Yashin and Andy Goram.

Canny blame the boy its a disgrace whats happened lets hope we don’t live to regret this
Im honestly not sure how it is a disgrace mate. Another manager has decided that McCrorie isn't likely to be good enough. Maybe the reality is he isn't?

Perhaps if he has to have a number 3 keepr it will be McGregor for his experience and impact on others in the dressing room and we will now sign another keeper.

Lets just wait and see what happens. This is the nature of football

The way this thread was going you would think the title was 'Gio pumps McCrorie's maw and makes him watch during training before contract terminated in laughter'.

Livingstone who play on plastic, dont play football and are basically shite.

Unfair to judge him just on his time with them.
I think it's completely fair to judge him on that.

If the team were as bad as you say they were then he should've stood out but he lost his place in a shite team.

It's not a position you can take lightly and I'm sure discussions with the management and backroom staff have been made to decide on the players future.

Ultimately in Gio and our coaches eyes McCrorie isnt good enough otherwise McGregor wouldn't have been offered an extension.

I too am not overly enamoured with our resigning of McGregor but you have got too wonder how he feels when he reads all the negativity, and to be fair some fairly biting criticism, all over social media on him remaining. You'd think we'd resigned a one armed, wheel chair bound 60 year rather than someone who, in many folks eyes, is our greatest ever keeper with a point to prove after some mishaps last season.

I want McLaughlin to start next season but I just can't see McGregor agreeing to another year to be a bench warmer. Definitely interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
Should we use that measurement for all loanees? Jake Hastie, Glenn Middleton they would have learned a lot from their loan spells but I don’t want them anywhere near our current first team.

It would have been a nice story getting another academy player in goals, but maybe he just isn’t at the level expected.
He started well at Livi and was number one carrying on from his previous loan spells. Got himself called up into the Scotland squad that season. Had a few poor games apparently and was therefore dropped into backup keeper. It was far from a disastrous loan spell for a young goalkeeper.

So we lose a 24 year young keeper to keep a 40 year old who has another year max in him, what other club in world football does this, you can say McCrorie ain't going to make it so why did the club give him a new contract then so that ain't an excuse. At what stage do we start to question the board it seems like they don't have a clue, let's be honest arfield etc are only being kept so the board don't need to spend but let's kid on its to bring through the youth etc

McGregor should never have been resigned but McCrorie isn’t currently good enough to be our number 1
Maybe it’s to free up a squad place for another keeper as we really need 3.

Im honestly not sure how it is a disgrace mate. Another manager has decided that McCrorie isn't likely to be good enough. Maybe the reality is he isn't?

Perhaps if he has to have a number 3 keepr it will be McGregor for his experience and impact on others in the dressing room and we will now sign another keeper.

Lets just wait and see what happens. This is the nature of football

The way this thread was going you would think the title was 'Gio pumps McCrorie's maw and makes him watch during training before contract terminated in laughter'.
Maybe disgrace is the wrong word mate just don’t think it’s right McGregors been gave a new deal its long been thought at at Rangers McCrorie would be the future number 1

Thats the problem. Handled old firm brilliantly then didnt see more chances.

Never given ant chance imo now hes on his way out.
The last 2 managers, plus his loan manager, aren't only seeing him based on that old firm game. The watched him on loan and watch him every day in training. If Gio thinks he isn't up to the standard, and gerrard thought the same, I am content to trust their judgement.

What a stupid decision to renew McGregor's contract. McCrorie should've been given some more opportunities next season to see what he could do.

A 41 year old McGregor doesn't even make sense as backup. It's the most dead end, going nowhere type of deal we can make. He is only going to regress even further from the keeper he was last season.

When would he have played him? He made it clear he was 3rd choice but was talking about the future.
If he was actually good enough then he would have found a way to get himself played in my opinion. He is 24, not 16 or something. The one for the future comment was fair enough but in reality, most keepers at that age have already forced their way into a team.

Maybe disgrace is the wrong word mate just don’t think it’s right McGregors been gave a new deal its long been thought at at Rangers McCrorie would be the future number 1
I agree mate, and we all would have loved it. It was thought his brother would be a mainstay too. Maybe the reality is they just aren't good enough when push comes to shove though.

Total mess this. The warning signs are there for all to see regarding our transfer activity
Its June 22nd and we have already signed a centre half and renewed the contract of our absolute rock in defence. We are about to lose our 3rd choice keeper who basicially never plays and will replace him.

People need to chill.

Think the script is written. Jon starts the season we lose a game, support gets on his back and AMc is back in goals.

I think this is a really bad way for one of our best goalkeepers to finish his career.
I thought Seville and his cameo appearance at Hampden made it the perfect way to bow out ..I'd hate to see him finish on a low next season which could happen

I agree with most, thought he would get a look in this year in the cup games but AM signing makes this less likely but maybe Gio isn’t seeing it. One thing I would say is those saying he wasn’t good enough at Livingston, he was 21/22 and was under siege in an SPL team so yes probably made some mistakes but his only regular football at that age I’m sure he would have learned and hoped to go again the next season, didn’t happen, he has sat on a bench again.

If he was actually good enough then he would have found a way to get himself played in my opinion. He is 24, not 16 or something. The one for the future comment was fair enough but in reality, most keepers at that age have already forced their way into a team.
Lot of goalkeepers haven’t at that age though, for example Allan McGregor. It was clear Gio/Gerrard had their goalkeepers in place and weren’t changing them despite the level of performances from them.

I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to leave but where's he going to go to be a No1.I just don't see the point in going anywhere else to also sit on the bench.

Also anyone who thinks renewing Arfield's deal will be good for Lowry's development is at it too. He's only going to eat into Lowry's game time next season, yet there's a lot of talk about Arfield being a "good presence" for our young players.

The only way to develop our young players is by playing them and trusting them to be important members of the squad - it's as simple as that. Teams all over Europe do it successfully. Braga had about 3 or 4 teenagers starting in their game against us

Not sure if McCrorie has what it takes. He did have a good first season at Livi but the second was poor.

However this situation sums up our short-sighted shambolic recruitment strategy of late.

The ‘ kicking the can down the road’ planning gives me the vibe that Wilson is leaving and won’t need to deal with next summers potential mess.

I hope we are planning on moving one of the B team GK into the first team to continue there development like we have with King & Lowry, otherwise I don’t see the point in bringing in another keeper having already resigned AM (unfortunately).
Robbie hasn’t shown enough to be challenging for the No.1 or No.2 slot, even on loans. Best thing for him is to move on like he’s doing, get regular game time and hopefully carve out a decent career for himself.

Maybe he just isn't good enough , similar to his brother Ross , decent but not good enough to be No1 .

Remember he wasn't brilliant at Livingston.

I trust the coaches at the club to know better than our resident goalkeeping experts on here.

A bit like Liam Kelly - will have a decent career elsewhere.

More terrible decision making.

This McGregor decision is one of the worst footballing decisions I can remember Rangers ever making.

McGregor had the likes of Klos to compete with. and was on the bench as a 16yo. McRorie had Alnwick and Fod and was unable to make an impact.

Im sure he is and will be a good keeper but he was never being our number 1. If he wasn't a rangers man who had been with us for years, nobody would care.
Being on the bench as a 16-year-old means nothing. It's about playing games and McCrorie has largely done well for a young keeper, including in the Old Firm game last year when he kept a clean sheet - unlike any other Rangers keeper last season.

You've no idea if he would be No. 1, and neither do I but given Gerrard said the plan was for him to be so, and Gio - according to that story - gave him assurances on his game time suggests that the club saw him as competing for it at some point. People are frustrated that our already aging squad now has a 40-year-old keeper while a young prospect will move on because there's no pathway.

Just another chance to print negativity about Rangers. There was talk of McCrorie leaving before shagger signed this extension.

We need Champions League quality keeper(s). If McCrorie isn't perceived by the coaches to hit the standards set by McGregor then we need to part company and find someone who does.

So we lose a 24 year young keeper to keep a 40 year old who has another year max in him, what other club in world football does this, you can say McCrorie ain't going to make it so why did the club give him a new contract then so that ain't an excuse. At what stage do we start to question the board it seems like they don't have a clue, let's be honest arfield etc are only being kept so the board don't need to spend but let's kid on its to bring through the youth etc

Well Ferguson did it at Man Utd with van der Sar.

Lot of goalkeepers haven’t at that age though, for example Allan McGregor. It was clear Gio/Gerrard had their goalkeepers in place and weren’t changing them despite the level of performances from them.
McGregor had Klos to oust. And excelled on his loan. McCrorie was dropped by livi and couldn't displace jack Alnwick or wes foderingham.

It sounds like I am slating the boy but im not. I think he has potential to be a good keeper. But im inclined to agree with our last 2 managers that he wont make it as our number 1. They literally see him every day.

Its mainly blue tinted specs stuff that makes folk think otherwise.

He's doing the right thing for his career.

We've obviously not seen enough in him to ever truly envision him as our number 1.
A bit of realism in this post.
At first glance, the decision to retain McGregor at the expense of McCrorie seems debatable at best.
However, GvB must have had the same debate with his team and they’ll have seen more of him than us.
We won’t know if the decision is correct or not for a wee while yet.

Far from it but it makes much more sense to renew his contract and keep him than it does with Allan McGregor
Why? Would McCrorie be happy to renew as a number 3?

We dont know the situation but everyone is overreacting. What wage is AM going to be on? I doubt he will be the number 1 keeper next season and may be happy to do coaching and be a number 3. Potentially a new goalkeeper being signed. No point in renewing RM contract if not rated or wanted by the management team

As in my previous post this is speculation, there’s nothing in that article to substantiate anything. Let’s see what happens here, I can see a keeper coming in.

Should we use that measurement for all loanees? Jake Hastie, Glenn Middleton they would have learned a lot from their loan spells but I don’t want them anywhere near our current first team.

It would have been a nice story getting another academy player in goals, but maybe he just isn’t at the level expected.
Given Hastie hasn't performed anywhere except six months at Motherwell that led to us signing, then no. Middleton did okay at St Johnstone, I wouldn't be against him having another chance and is still young enough to do it but I'd be surprised if he did.

You've also got to take into consideration that goalkeepers generally break into teams later than outfield players.

McGregor had Klos to oust. And excelled on his loan. McCrorie was dropped by livi and couldn't displace jack Alnwick or wes foderingham.

It sounds like I am slating the boy but im not. I think he has potential to be a good keeper. But im inclined to agree with our last 2 managers that he wont make it as our number 1. They literally see him every day.

Its mainly blue tinted specs stuff that makes folk think otherwise.
fair enough, that is your opinion. I still think he has what it takes and should’ve been our number 2 for the season ahead or sent out on loan to play every week elsewhere. Would rather have kept him than McGregor if that is what’s triggered this.

Back