Membership scheme

I'm not so sure mate.

Any membership schemes at other clubs I know of is for ST holders and guys who travel to away matches.

If the club is going to start charging us for the privilege of following the team I'm expecting better than the usual 10% off stadium tours rubbish.. it needs to be a decent incentive otherwise their taking the piss.

I'm guessing the membership scheme is aimed at Non season ticket holders that will enable them to buy a ticket for home games before the general public Leeds operate such a scheme and it costs £50 a year..... Easy money for the club

I know, the club are gambling on fans dropping out of the scheme - that’s why I’m saying the membership fee has to be high enough to put folk off it

If the club were proactive they could’ve had a loyalty scheme sorted long before the away cccs got out of control

Quite the opposite, the club want as many to take membership out irrespective of the scheme whether that be a Non ST holder or as an away supporter or Travel club member, say membership at £50 for the 1st two schemes and £25 for travel club....
It's money for old rope

I'm guessing the membership scheme is aimed at Non season ticket holders that will enable them to buy a ticket for home games before the general public Leeds operate such a scheme and it costs £50 a year..... Easy money for the club

The scheme the club is introducing next season is aimed at all ticketing, including cccs for existing ST holders.

Fans who wish to get away tickets etc will need to pay. Essentially the club are charging £ for something we currently get to do at ST renewals in an attempt to reduce membership numbers on the schemes as it’s got out of control.

Wouldn’t surprise me if non-ST holders need to join to be able to buy tickets too

Quite the opposite, the club want as many to take membership out irrespective of the scheme whether that be a Non ST holder or as an away supporter or Travel club member, say membership at £50 for the 1st two schemes and £25 for travel club....
It's money for old rope

The membership scheme is seen as the solution for managing the numbers on the cccs as it’s got out of control

Fans at focus groups etc have complained about how Away tickets are balloted and this is seen as the solution. Being able to charge £ to join is an easy money maker for the club and will likely deter some people from joining out of principle as they’ll be paying say £50 for something they currently get for free

The membership scheme is seen as the solution for managing the numbers on the cccs as it’s got out of control

Fans at focus groups etc have complained about how Away tickets are balloted and this is seen as the solution. Being able to charge £ to join is an easy money maker for the club and will likely deter some people from joining out of principle as they’ll be paying say £50 for something they currently get for free

Poor from the club if that’s the case.

How will it work for RSC’s then? This seems like a move towards favouring them.

Poor from the club if that’s the case.

How will it work for RSC’s then? This seems like a move towards favouring them.

That’s still to be determined I’m sure - there’s RSC focus groups tomorrow/Thursday so I’m thinking that the clubs position on RSCs will be made clear at these.

Personally speaking, the impression I’ve got based on feedback from the focus groups, the club will likely reduce the RSC allocation for all games - don’t see how they can encourage non-ST holders to join the scheme to have chance of buying home tickets if there’s going to be less than 1,000 for the public sale for some games

I’m bracing myself for the news that RSCs Away/finals allocations will be removed Eventually (personally speaking I’d be totally against it but I can see that’s the way the club are heading)

If we're going to charge fans to be able to apply for away tickets that's a no go for me.

It’s 100% going to be one aspect of the scheme - ST holders will no longer be able to join the cccs without paying a fee to join the membership scheme

I'm not so sure mate.

Any membership schemes at other clubs I know of is for ST holders and guys who travel to away matches.

If the club is going to start charging us for the privilege of following the team I'm expecting better than the usual 10% off stadium tours rubbish.. it needs to be a decent incentive otherwise their taking the piss.
I would assume a season ticket holder automatically becomes a member.

I agree with previous poster, more for non season ticket holders and a few discounts on merch

It’s 100% going to be one aspect of the scheme - ST holders will no longer be able to join the cccs without paying a fee to join the membership scheme

So the club are bringing in a membership scheme with the aim of putting people off from signing up for it?

I hope they don't introduce a paid membership scheme for non season ticket holders to purchase tickets in a public sale. Don't want to go down the exclusive paid route that English clubs do. Rangers should be open to all.

I think this is the plan and agree with you 100%.

Paying £40-50 per head (typical EPL costs) for non season book holders to have the chance to buy a ticket is not consistent with our Club’s values.

Just now I’ve had St Mirren and Hearts away. Will maybe get 1 more before the end of the season.

50 quid membership fee adds over 15 quid to the price of a ticket then going by my average allocation.

That’s not acceptable for me.

So the club are bringing in a membership scheme with the aim of putting people off from signing up for it?

They won’t admit that’s the reason but it’s not difficult to work out the reasons for implementing it after the backlash re ballots/lack of tickets this season.

Problem is we have hardly any tickets on general sale.

So to have any realistic chance of tickets as a non season book holder you’d have to sign up.

It therefore becomes prohibitively expense for those fans who only attend a couple of games per season.

Also in my case as a non season book holder I’ve been at every home game (except Old Firm) by buying tickets on line on day of sale for my son and myself.

If there was a membership scheme I’d probably have an additional £100 cost for the privilege of doing this, is that fair?

Just now I’ve had St Mirren and Hearts away. Will maybe get 1 more before the end of the season.

50 quid membership fee adds over 15 quid to the price of a ticket then going by my average allocation.

That’s not acceptable for me.

Sadly though the club know that the demand is there that they know they can get away with it.

Their thinking is probably that the numbers on Away cccs will reduce meaning that fans get more tickets. The membership fee will also have other benefits that have been alluded to so it’s not as simple as saying it adds X amount onto tickets.

I can’t say I’m too impressed at the thought of this new scheme though as there’ll be many flaws in it - the main one being buying tickets and passing them on meaning people will stay at the top of the points list

Problem is we have hardly any tickets on general sale.

So to have any realistic chance of tickets as a non season book holder you’d have to sign up.

It therefore becomes prohibitively expense for those fans who only attend a couple of games per season.

Also in my case as a non season book holder I’ve been at every home game (except Old Firm) by buying tickets on line on day of sale for my son and myself.

If there was a membership scheme I’d probably have an additional £100 cost for the privilege of doing this, is that fair?
Your position mirrors that of me and my daughter, the only home game we've missed is Septic due to no public sale.

I'm thinking the non STH membership scheme may also be loyalty based in some way, with some form of priority access window to purchase for those on higher points.

Possibly the club plan on offering a limited number of Septic tickets, to non STH holders on the membership scheme in future. This may be one incentive that convinces many to sign up.

Your position mirrors that of me and my daughter, the only home game we've missed is Septic due to no public sale.

I'm thinking the non STH membership scheme may also be loyalty based in some way, with some form of priority access window to purchase for those on higher points.

Possibly the club plan on offering a limited number of Septic tickets, to non STH holders on the membership scheme in future. This may be one incentive that convinces many to sign up.

Maybe mate, but more likely just be forced to pay for access to “members sale” window, which in practice is the only public sale window for most games.

That’s how it works at Man U etc.

Sadly though the club know that the demand is there that they know they can get away with it.

Their thinking is probably that the numbers on Away cccs will reduce meaning that fans get more tickets. The membership fee will also have other benefits that have been alluded to so it’s not as simple as saying it adds X amount onto tickets.

I can’t say I’m too impressed at the thought of this new scheme though as there’ll be many flaws in it - the main one being buying tickets and passing them on meaning people will stay at the top of the points list

What a way to treat your loyal supporters.

What a way to treat your loyal supporters.

Agreed, it’s not actually great when you delve deeper into what the implications will be.

I’ve maintained away cccs needed addressed but this membership scheme feels a bit like extortion from the club; flinging in exclusive RTV interviews, discounts for argyle house restaurant etc doesn’t justify the membership fee

Surely someone that has a membership but not a season ticket shouldn’t be above someone that has a season ticket?

A loyalty system that accrues points for ticket purchases (not including season tickets) would be good. Of course season ticket holders will always have the right to purchase their seat for those additional games (eg European) but after that there could be a short priority window for those who have regularly purchased single tickets etc.

Separately, on Bar 72, question whether there would be any scope to replicate this in other parts of the ground.

Here’s how the Man U scheme works:

In short for Prem League games tickets are only sold to Members. No membership then no option to buy a ticket.

Plus everyone attending has to be a member, by that I mean you can’t sign up as a member and buy more than 1 ticket to take your kids / mates with you. They also have to join.

I really hope Rangers aren’t going to replicate this and make Ibrox a very exclusive club with more barriers to stop casual fans / youngsters going along.

There is only so many times you can keep going back to the same well.

Many people have a tighter budget than others.

Whilst it will all come out sooner or later I guess we need to realise that with fatty and merchandise debacle, court cases and lack of revenue we need to get additional funds in somehow.

Whether this is the way I do not know but will probably pay it.

One angle from that then, if the purpose is so the club have the money upfront, does that then discount fans who pay in instalments?
10 monthly payments upfront should cover your year.
Or 12 monthly payments.

Also they'd compliment each other well with a cash injection close season and some working capital through the year.

Here’s how the Man U scheme works:

In short for Prem League games tickets are only sold to Members. No membership then no option to buy a ticket.

Plus everyone attending has to be a member, by that I mean you can’t sign up as a member and buy more than 1 ticket to take your kids / mates with you. They also have to join.

I really hope Rangers aren’t going to replicate this and make Ibrox a very exclusive club with more barriers to stop casual fans / youngsters going along.

You hear about "football tourists" in the EPL but with this I dont see how thats possible.

You hear about "football tourists" in the EPL but with this I dont see how thats possible.

They club also sell tickets direct to companies who organise sporting trips/holidays. So essentially they charge fans ridiculous amounts for travel, hotel and match ticket packages from all over the world.

Because anyone can buy the membership so they can obtain tickets

There will be people that buy it solely to make money

Also you might have the official club plackages

If you introduce a membership scheme to non ST holders then you risk pricing out the game alot of people attending for the first time.

My first ever rangers game was a birthday treat from my parents. If they introduce a membership theyd need to stump up for that before even buying the tickets.

If you introduce a membership scheme to non ST holders then you risk pricing out the game alot of people attending for the first time.

My first ever rangers game was a birthday treat from my parents. If they introduce a membership theyd need to stump up for that before even buying the tickets.

100 per cent agree.

It means someone taking their kid to a couple of games a season will face a significant barrier and extra cost. In due course it will stop people doing so.

We should be making it as easy as possible to get into Ibrox not harder and more costly.

Man U and others used to partner with Thomas Cook. Ticket and night in P Inn (or similar) for around £150 pp.

Big margins involved!

Guess some other operators stepped in now.

I'd have thought a membership scheme would be focused more on those who do not have a season ticket, for whatever reason.

It would allow them to contribute in a way that perhaps they cannot commit to otherwise.

Yes, it will (hopefully) make the club money but I'm sure it will offer incentives to those who wish to sign up. As long as it priced competitively.
I'm a member at Chelsea,£36 a year,members have first chance of tickets for home games before they get put on public sale which is very rare also let's you get on the Ticket Exchange where Season Ticket holders not attending any games put their tickets on for sale,well worth it as you get the Official Chelsea monthly Magazine posted out which is priced at £3.75,so not really costing anything.

Back