Mentality is all that matters and we don’t have it.

The pressure was on us today and we didnt deliver once again. Yes you can say we dominated but the fact is..they've won. as soon as that penalty was missed i just knew it wasnt our day. And yes its absolutely correct that we dont have the winning mentality. Failed again.

We will just have to disagree they only need one we need ten to score even when they were down to ten you just knew we were gubbed

The cheating goal changes the game.

How anyone can come away from that blaming the players is beyond me. Missing chances happens in football, but if not for a cheating goal we continue to outplay them and eventually get a goal, at least in extra time.

Team full a shitebags and a striker that could play till next year and still no score against they rats and that’s what matters most to people scoring against them

Mentality wasn't the problem today, it was simply a combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping. What happens next is a big test of the teams character and mentality. Will be interesting to see how we cope against YB.

The players didn't bottle anything today. The team didn't take chances. Somehow Gerrard needs to instill belief in his players. I do think the players bottle went against Aberdeen. Definitely more mental strength required. I'm gutted because today we were the better team and should have won easily. Wish I had the answer but somehow we need to get those players knowing they will win. I presume we can't afford to simply bring in players with a winning mentality.

agreed

While I agree with the sentiment we missed a penalty and a handful of chances and played against ten men for a good 25 mins we can’t blame the ref or linesman for that
We can.

If we had won a game like that in those circumstances, there would be questions raised in Holyrood.

We were denied another two clear penalties and got beaten with a clearly offside goal.

That didn't happen by accident. It's years of intimidating officials. When was the last time we got a 50/50 decision in a big game?

Anyway, we're not quite there yet but we're getting there.

Reactions: LD5
The truth is we are constantly rewarding players and mangers with new and improved contracts when they’ve achieved nothing.

Our players are in the comfort zone cause they know a few wins in Europe and beating Aberdeen a few times gets them £5,000 extra a week.

We constantly send out the wrong signals by doing this.
Totally agree

Just in from game , we were better team for 62mins they were no threat whatsoever, 1 chance and 1 goal is all it took for them to beat us in a cup final , i personally cant take much more of this disappointment at Hampdump its utterly soul destroying watching this garbage time after time and losing to this average team of mentally challengeds .....it really has to be stopped by this current squad or they are heading for a quadruple treble.

to gain that winning mentality sometimes you need the ball to bounce in off someones arse and get the goal, as i said in other threads, its a mixture of luck and being clinical, when your missing chances you need luck, when things arent going your way you need to be clinical. one day everything will go right and that will trigger us from nearly men to winners

We need a Gerrard on the park. Someone that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and inspire and bully his teammates for more every match. Ferguson did it for the sheep on Wednesday. We do not have one player in the first team that is this type of player sadly. Until we do we will struggle to win any silverware unfortunately.

Being the type of player he was i am sure the manager is beginning to see this. For me anyway this is the missing link between being also-rans and genuine contenders. We need a true leader simple as that.

just one of these games im afraid when your luck is out then it is out, we did everything but score and big lurch had a blinder, we showed today we are the better team although who cares we didnt lift the cup but need to move on and win 55 now

Watched the game today and felt devastated for you guys out there. You should have easily came out of there with a comfortable win. A mixture of terrible finishing and good goalkeeping cost rangers the game.

The way you guys are feeling just now about how you’ve been bottling everything. That’s not true. Yes Celtic have been used to winning but rangers need to use this as a motivation for the rest of the season. Most Liverpool fans thought the same too until last summer. It was sickening getting to cup final after cup finals and losing every one of them. Like Klopp done, he motivated the player to use the loss as a motivation and we won the CL last year and have been on fire in the league. It’s up to Gerrard to do the same and get the fire going in the player’s belly. Once the players get the taste of winning, they’ll want more and it’ll start being a regular thing.

it might not feel great today but when you wake up tomorrow and have a think over it, it won’t be as bad. Just remember there’s a lot to play for this season and the boys will need you guys behind them. Not one of the player had a bad game today. They literally couldn’t get out of their own half (all credit to rangers for this). The gap between the 2 is as marginal as you’ll get but slowly but surely rangers will catch them.

good luck for the rest of the season!

This week has proved this team is mentally weak. No two ways about it.

A Walter team would have seen out the 3 points at Pittodrie with ease and would have dismantled Celtic today.

That was utter pathetic. I don’t care how ‘well’ we played. Rangers are about winning mentality first and foremost. That wasn’t worth of a Rangers team today.
Sorry mate.

I 've read some amount of shite on here but that's certainly up there with the worst.

I’ve heard that mentality is not a problem with our team but it is we had that in the bag and we bottled it simple as that.

They are in Morelos head and others and it shows Gerrard should make them watch that mob rub it in and they will.

Absolutely gutted.
Pish, Forster saved them today, nothing else.

The cheating goal changes the game.

How anyone can come away from that blaming the players is beyond me. Missing chances happens in football, but if not for a cheating goal we continue to outplay them and eventually get a goal, at least in extra time.
This in spades

I agree, we are mentally weak.

This was on full display against Aberdeen and it happened again today after the penalty and red card. After that they clearly didn’t think they could win.

Fück all to do with mentality.

We just bossed them for 90 minutes, they never had a shot on goal apart from the goal that had 3 men offside.

Bad luck, bad finishing – yes – but we win that game if we aren’t cheated by the officials.

it wasn't 90 minutes

we largely went to pieces after we missed that penalty

I don’t get this. If they were ‘in our heads’ we wouldn’t have played them off the park. We lost for a variety of reasons - poor finishing, good goalkeeping, horrendous officiating - plus a small slice of bad luck.

There’s definitely a mental toughness issue. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

We have the quality and the physicality to boss them, that’s clear. However, we just lack something in terms of completion and making those things count.

Twice this week we’ve chucked it in crucial games that were in the palm of our hands. Twice in the same week they’ve been clinical enough in games where they’ve been poor to nick the spoils.

Folk can scream all they want about refs, but the bottom line is that both these matches have been ours for the taking and we’ve shot ourselves in the foot both times.

Frankly, I’m now pretty convinced this season is going to be another frustrating disappointment.

I hate those c@nts with a passion, but they’re winners. They know how to get over the line.

i’ll buy your season ticket off you then mate as I still think there’s good times ahead this season.

Top of the league, away to an out of form injury hit Hearts side and we put in a terrible performance and drop points.

2-0 up away at Pittodrie, surrender a two goal lead and drop points when we have the chance to remain joint top of the league heading into a cup final.

Face a Celtic side that was pretty much make shift (players brought in who have been out injured, Hayes LB, 18 year old RB, no recognised striker). Sclaff efforts at goal (Forster wasn't outstanding today, he made routine saves. The header from Morelos was horseshit) miss a penalty and fail to do any thing of note for 30 minutes whilst the opposition were down to 10 men.

Shades of last season continue to raise their ugly head and questions of the players mentality rightfully asked.

Next three away league games; Motherwell, Hibs and the bheggars.

Right now these players still don't have the bottle to deliver a trophy.

Forster had a great game but he rode his luck

If the one Alfie put through his legs goes in we hammer them

It was poor finishing and corrupt/incompetent officials that cost us

They done what we done to them under Walter, it takes 1 result to change the course of History. It should have been today! It wasn't, so we continue to bottle the anger, determination and disappointment. We welcome the Chase, and when the bottle pops on said anger, determination and disappointment then hell mend them because it will be scenes never witnessed before. We're almost there, hang tight

Don't agree with the OP at all.

The team demonstrated they *do* have all the right attributes -- mentality, physical ability, technical ability -- as they dominated the match and did all the right things.

Despite this painful loss -- which I attribute to some good goalkeeping, an off-side goal, and a missed penalty -- probability says that if you do all the right things, you will ultimately be rewarded.

On to Thursday. BIG performances required.

Last edited:
It's ONE player that can drag us back into a game, it's Barry Ferguson in 2002.

He might be done, and he didn't have a good game today, but Brown is still their leader for all to see.

It's not Davis, Kamara, Arfield or Aribo's game. It might be Jack with a bit more self-belief.

It's more than a Captain, I'm not blaming Tav, it's an out and out winner in the middle of the park.

Top of the league, away to an out of form injury hit Hearts side and we put in a terrible performance and drop points.

2-0 up away at Pittodrie, surrender a two goal lead and drop points when we have the chance to remain joint top of the league heading into a cup final.

Face a Celtic side that was pretty much make shift (players brought in who have been out injured, Hayes LB, 18 year old RB, no recognised striker). Sclaff efforts at goal (Forster wasn't outstanding today, he made routine saves. The header from Morelos was horseshit) miss a penalty and fail to do any thing of note for 30 minutes whilst the opposition were down to 10 men.

Shades of last season continue to raise their ugly head and questions of the players mentality rightfully asked.

Next three away league games; Motherwell, Hibs and the bheggars.

Right now these players still don't have the bottle to deliver a trophy.

Coming from behind to get a point in Porto and beating them at home. Scoring a last minute winner at Kille where we struggled last year. Coming from behind and scoring a late winner at home to a decent Motherwell side when we’d been poor.

Not saying some of your point isn’t valid but plenty of examples the opposite way

Coming from behind to get a point in Porto and beating them at home. Scoring a last minute winner at Kille where we struggled last year. Coming from behind and scoring a late winner at home to a decent Motherwell side when we’d been poor.

Not saying some of your point isn’t valid but plenty of examples the opposite way

Until the players deliver a trophy/title, question marks over bottle, winning mentality, managers game changing decisions or what ever is discussed, will be asked.

These questions are based on our domestic games, no issues what so ever with Europe - other than woeful, costly defending.

Back