Moaning about the transfer window-where is the cash coming from?

As a club we have been told that we are going to be using a buy to sell model and have to become self sufficient. There has obviously been interest in some of our players, yet we’ve knocked it back. Whether that’s because the bid was too low or we value the player too high, who knows.

The last player we sold for over £1M was Josh Windass. This is a figure that other Scottish clubs don’t seem to have any bother getting for their players, so why do we find it so difficult? Having to pay players off and letting them go for undisclosed figures probably due to embarrassment.

It’s one thing wanting to keep players who might help the club win more, but there’s also the risk of 1) not winning even by keeping them 2) them getting injured 3) just playing shite and losing all their value.

Kamara is the only player that we have that’s worth a decent amount and probably won’t drop in value. Morelos and Kent’s value could go either way depending on injury or what mood they’re in. Barisic doesn’t look half the player that was supposedly going to sell for £20M.

Meanwhile we have Davis as a first pick, playing more than he should & Goldson who hasn’t signed a contract yet as our main CB.

We’re not going to win the Europa League any time soon, so what are we holding onto these big assets for? The start we’ve made this season has been very underwhelming. We need to bring in money in order to freshen up the squad to try and make progress. Right now it’s all looking like “ah, we won the league, let’s put our feet up”.
Gerrard confirmed no bids matched our evaluations.

We need to be careful about the message we’re giving out. If we’d sold Alfie for £15m and Kent for £12m, we would have been underselling them. Other clubs would then feel emboldened to lowball us too.

Obviously the board are comfortable holding on to players if our evaluations aren’t matched. If our situation was desperate, both would have been sold.
It’s probably a good sign therefore that never happened.

At the same time, we do need to start making the model work.

Goldson should have been sold. That’s the one criticism I currently have. £5-6m reinvested wisely could have seen us in a stronger position. Again though, if no one was biting what can we do?

Ditto Borna and even Kamara. We have tens of millions of pounds worth of talent, but if no one bids what we want, we’re more or less stuck.

See's thread title and thinks, this is gonna be brain damage

Enters thread, confirms, leaves.

It's the first group game.

We are not being managed properly as a business. Morelos, Tav, Goldson and Kamara should all have been sold and a fresh batch of replacements brought in or even better promote from within.

if we had got £18 to £20m for these players, it is a huge return for the management team to invest.

Also we need to get the players before they become too expensive and are hoovered up by English teams.

Thank %^*& you're not in charge of negotiations then eh? Deary me.

We knocked back £16m for Morelos a year ago yet you want to sell four of our best players for £18-20m?

Mental.

Firstly, we aren't going to lose the league.

But just listen to yourself. Do you know how much money that mob have spent in comparison to us in the last few years?

We had absolutely no right to finish 25 points ahead of them - but well done, you've managed to take that achievement and use it AGAINST us.

You are beyond parody.
Time will tell on that.

I’m not using it against us either. I’m saying if we fail to win the league this season after being 25 points better off last season then serious questions would need to be asked. If you’d be happy losing the league from that position of dominance, then good for you. Most fans wouldn’t.

Gerrard confirmed no bids matched our evaluations.

We need to be careful about the message we’re giving out. If we’d sold Alfie for £15m and Kent for £12m, we would have been underselling them. Other clubs would then feel emboldened to lowball us too.

Obviously the board are comfortable holding on to players if our evaluations aren’t matched. If our situation was desperate, both would have been sold.
It’s probably a good sign therefore that never happened.

At the same time, we do need to start making the model work.

Goldson should have been sold. That’s the one criticism I currently have. £5-6m reinvested wisely could have seen us in a stronger position. Again though, if no one was biting what can we do?

Ditto Borna and even Kamara. We have tens of millions of pounds worth of talent, but if no one bids what we want, we’re more or less stuck.
According to the books, we aren't in a good enough financial position to be gambling tens of millions of pounds. One in the hand is better than two in the bush they say. I have seen nothing of Morelos or Kent to suggest that their values will increase this season, and as we seen last night, we are an injury away from losing millions.

Borna looks a shell of the player that we had last season. Kent has looked like he's trying too hard and is now injured. Morelos I thought was actually pretty decent last night. But is it worth holding out for say £18M for Morelos when we have been offered say £15M? I don't think so. We bought him for £1M. Use the £14M profit to try and find the next talent or money maker rather than just looking to see who is going to be released by teams in England and having a bench filled with players that aren't better than what we already have.

The Board pushed the boat out to give SG the squad to compete and win the title-we managed that. SG has helped deliver that with European runs frankly beyond what we could expect.

I personally don't rate greatly what we've brought in this window but we've obviously tried to do the best within the budget.

However clearly as the likes of Roofe has shown you really need to spend cash to get an out the box player and you could argue his fitness record suggests he will never be our main man more an absolute quality option.

We are not cash rich, we can't spend loads and will need to continue to try and develop players-clearly the level that our players are at are not attracting offers due to a deflated market.

Time for some of our support to stop acting like spoiled brats and accept we've done pretty well overall.
I agree we have done pretty well.
However, it's the way of the Rangers support, and it's healthy in my opinion, to want even more. We're never satisfied with just competing. The management team feel the same way, I'm certain of it.
It's great that you feel happy with progress, and a bit put out over criticisms of the team from fellow bears. I hope it doesn't get too annoying. We both know what supporting Rangers is like. Must be us who have the broadest spectrum of opinions out of any support in the world. It's what makes our social media platforms so entertaining, frustrating, off putting, infuriating, but mostly worthwhile :))

I’ve got no idea or I’d be a massively successful businessman, but they need to source it from somewhere.

You can’t expect to rely on this squad forever, and if you can’t improve your player trading out the door then you’ll end up losing what you deem as assets for pennies when contracts run out.

As a result, there will be no cash to replace those assets, meaning a further deterioration in squad quality and a less competitive Rangers.

A less competitive Rangers will result in less trophies won, limited European runs, and even less cash being generated than is at the moment.

Is it difficult to achieve? I’m sure it probably us, but the reality is if the club want to remain the dominant force in Scottish football then they need to find a way to achieve it. If they don’t, we’ll play second fiddle to Celtic for years to come with very little opportunity to change that.
Don't forget the academy. It has had a huge amount of focus and strategic planning so that it can contribute significantly to the first team squad.
Our financial muscle, in the big picture, hasn't changed one bit. When we did spend big back in the day it was never big enough, not even close to being big enough. We needed to find other ways to become serious challengers then just like today. Our academy is the best opportunity we have to source players with the necessary ability.

Don't forget the academy. It has had a huge amount of focus and strategic planning so that it can contribute significantly to the first team squad.
Our financial muscle, in the big picture, hasn't changed one bit. When we did spend big back in the day it was never big enough, not even close to being big enough. We needed to find other ways to become serious challengers then just like today. Our academy is the best opportunity we have to source players with the necessary ability.
For as long as I can remember, our Academy was meant to be one of the very best going. Great facilities, top coaches and lots of focus put into bringing talent through.

Looking back over the last 10years, where are the fruits of our labour? We have had countless players seemingly making a push and looking like the real thing and that they might finally make it to the first team, but it hasn't happened. We've had a few cameos in the first team, but other than Nathan Patterson, I haven't seen anything to suggest that Academy players will given the chance to prove they're good enough to make the jump.

We cashed in on Billy Gilmour because we couldn't guarantee him first team opportunities. Chelsea gave him the chance to flourish and he has.

I think there needs to be a serious look at what return we are getting from the youth setup. It seems that other clubs in Scotland are able to bring through talent and make money from home grown players yet despite the resources thrown at our setup, we aren't getting the same returns imo.

IMHO the transfer market this year has been 'flat' obviously because of covid and the subsequent losses for all clubs. No one could have predicted the pandemic. Our plan of selling a couple of our assets could have worked, if not for this event.That's life and we have to get on with it.

That’s the one criticism I currently have. £5-6m reinvested wisely could have seen us in a stronger position.

Would it? Find that quite a fascinating quandary as such.

If in theory say, we had sold Kamara, and even as a reference signed Kyogo who has utterly hit the ground running at 4.5 million, really he has been as much a hit as you could hope for other than fitness and say a player like Turnbull, who was 3.5 million, so touching on the best part of 8 million there rather than 6, would we have been that much stronger? Despite buying in two areas. I would question that, I would question if either would even start often for us

To actually improve our starting 11 as it currently is would require the purchase of a player who would cost a small fortune, we have scouted and coached what we have incredibly well to a level improving on it might not be as easy as players in the 2/3/4 million range, or players signed under freedom of contract.

We have maxed out we have incredibly well for me.

For as long as I can remember, our Academy was meant to be one of the very best going. Great facilities, top coaches and lots of focus put into bringing talent through.

Looking back over the last 10years, where are the fruits of our labour? We have had countless players seemingly making a push and looking like the real thing and that they might finally make it to the first team, but it hasn't happened. We've had a few cameos in the first team, but other than Nathan Patterson, I haven't seen anything to suggest that Academy players will given the chance to prove they're good enough to make the jump.

We cashed in on Billy Gilmour because we couldn't guarantee him first team opportunities. Chelsea gave him the chance to flourish and he has.

I think there needs to be a serious look at what return we are getting from the youth setup. It seems that other clubs in Scotland are able to bring through talent and make money from home grown players yet despite the resources thrown at our setup, we aren't getting the same returns imo.
We cashed in on Billy Gilmour, if you can even call it that, because he wanted to go there, that was his preference. It wasn't to do with getting first team games (and he was far more likely to get them with us)

Thank %^*& you're not in charge of negotiations then eh? Deary me.

We knocked back £16m for Morelos a year ago yet you want to sell four of our best players for £18-20m?

Mental.
I see what you mean but come the summer 2 are out of contract, Morelos will be 26 and Tav now has a contract extension. If we can get more money then great but Ill reserve judgement on how this pan out.

Somewhere along the line, we'll need to start taking a gamble on younger players.

Let's face it, derek ferguson was just a bit part with Rangers till advocate arrived. No hanging about, right in there and got better and better. No need for a loan deal, just become better with experience around you.

According to the books, we aren't in a good enough financial position to be gambling tens of millions of pounds. One in the hand is better than two in the bush they say. I have seen nothing of Morelos or Kent to suggest that their values will increase this season, and as we seen last night, we are an injury away from losing millions.

Borna looks a shell of the player that we had last season. Kent has looked like he's trying too hard and is now injured. Morelos I thought was actually pretty decent last night. But is it worth holding out for say £18M for Morelos when we have been offered say £15M? I don't think so. We bought him for £1M. Use the £14M profit to try and find the next talent or money maker rather than just looking to see who is going to be released by teams in England and having a bench filled with players that aren't better than what we already have.
I don’t think Morelos’s value diminished last season. He continued to score goals at all levels and was a huge part of our success.

Kent too. Just because he hasn’t begun this season on fire doesn’t mean he’s suddenly a poorer player.

If both have poor seasons their value will likely diminish. Look at Edouard across the city. It’s just the way it goes and we may have to accept lower offers next summer if that’s the case, but it’s too soon to be panicking and loping great chunks off our asking price at this point in time, IMO, and it appears the board feel similarly.

Would it? Find that quite a fascinating quandary as such.

If in theory say, we had sold Kamara, and even as a reference signed Kyogo who has utterly hit the ground running at 4.5 million, really he has been as much a hit as you could hope for other than fitness and say a player like Turnbull, who was 3.5 million, so touching on the best part of 8 million there rather than 6, would we have been that much stronger? Despite buying in two areas. I would question that, I would question if either would even start often for us

To actually improve our starting 11 as it currently is would require the purchase of a player who would cost a small fortune, we have scouted and coached what we have incredibly well to a level improving on it might not be as easy as players in the 2/3/4 million range, or players signed under freedom of contract.

We have maxed out we have incredibly well for me.
Helander cost £3m and is the best centre half at the club. For circa £5m I believe we could find an even better player to replace Goldson.

I know we all want the most for our players when we sell them.

But I think the board are not judging this very well. IMO they will not get what they want. And at the same time, some, if not all of our player's values are heading in the wrong direction.

Borna's value has peaked as has Alfie's.

I would have sold at least one in the summer.

"Player trading model" - where ? where exactly ?? It's a nonsense - we have to put on our big boy pants and bite the bullet. Otherwise we have no money to genuinely strengthen the starting eleven.

Don't be scared to sell a player ffs !!

I know we all want the most for our players when we sell them.

But I think the board are not judging this very well. IMO they will not get what they want. And at the same time, some, if not all of our player's values are heading in the wrong direction.

Borna's value has peaked as has Alfie's.

I would have sold at least one in the summer.

"Player trading model" - where ? where exactly ?? It's a nonsense - we have to put on our big boy pants and bite the bullet. Otherwise we have no money to genuinely strengthen the starting eleven.

Don't be scared to sell a player ffs !!

Barisic is the one I would've tried to offload this summer. Felt at the age he's at it'd be our last chance to get a half decent fee for him.

I think the board have realised the riches at the end of this season if we win the league and decided to go with the tried and tested team and I get where they're coming from...imagine we sold the likes of Morelos and Kent and lost the league because their replacements didn't hit the ground running?

This team will be thinking to themselves sub consciously they have achieved everything they could as a team (although you would like them to see they can create a legacy). It’s a bit like when you’ve been in a job for a while and you are going through the motions. It definitely needs fresh faces to the starting 11 who have it all to prove, you could see Lundstram was playing like he had to prove himself tonight.
Was about to post similar. Suspect guys like Tav, Goldson, Aribo and Kent (basically those from England and who may fancy a return there) are struggling to lift it again. Season 3, 4 or more, title won last season and we aren’t going to do any better than that without big investment.

Barisic is the one I would've tried to offload this summer. Felt at the age he's at it'd be our last chance to get a half decent fee for him.

I think the board have realised the riches at the end of this season if we win the league and decided to go with the tried and tested team and I get where they're coming from...imagine we sold the likes of Morelos and Kent and lost the league because their replacements didn't hit the ground running?
Yep - i'll be honest, Borna is the one i would have sold and taken the money. Needs must and all that.

We should have strengthened the team, but didn't.

Yes, it's clear that 'going with the same' is the strategy- 'tried and trusted' and all that. I just pray it pays off. Early signs are not amazing. Hope we don't have the same issues Liverpool did the season after winning the league.

The Board pushed the boat out to give SG the squad to compete and win the title-we managed that. SG has helped deliver that with European runs frankly beyond what we could expect.

I personally don't rate greatly what we've brought in this window but we've obviously tried to do the best within the budget.

However clearly as the likes of Roofe has shown you really need to spend cash to get an out the box player and you could argue his fitness record suggests he will never be our main man more an absolute quality option.

We are not cash rich, we can't spend loads and will need to continue to try and develop players-clearly the level that our players are at are not attracting offers due to a deflated market.

Time for some of our support to stop acting like spoiled brats and accept we've done pretty well overall.
Well said mate you are 100% correct. Some in our support seem to think all the cash that comes into the club can be spent on buying players and paying their wages

Expectation levels at Rangers are always high and so they should be. However, I do believe that some fans have their heads in the clouds when it comes to the reality of our financial situation and how it still effects things.

I stood and listened to guys yesterday get tore into virtually every player on this team and that was before a ball was kicked last night. I decided to stay out of the conversation because quite frankly most of it was devoid of all reality.

Yes, some players are off form. Yes they are still being played. The reason being, the Gaffer clearly still believes they are better than the players not playing, nor does he have a magic money tree hidden somewhere to replace them with better.

Lyon were a step up in class. Let’s be honest, we hoped rather than expected and anyone sensible would know we would have to have been at our best to win last night. We weren’t, but neither were we embarrassed either. Losing the plot over it is like other SPFL teams fans going nuts because they don’t beat us. That is a direct, and valid, comparison.

It's only terrible in your eyes because it makes it clear how stupid a point you made.

We could sell Morelos for £2 million and it would be in the top 100 of transfer successes in Europe over the last decade.
I think you are right, posters seem to want Park, Gerrard and Beale to have set up an under 8's academy of top class talent, 6 years before the got to the club?
Completely crazy.

Spoiled fucking brats? we have backed the club to the hilt financially, tickets, merchandise, mygers, folk have left themselves skint to pay to watch the team, to call us spoiled brats is a nonsense and you can %^*& off with that comment

What a lot of people don't get mate is that even if you spent £4,000 over a year directly to Rangers (and I know thats a lot of money to a lot of people) in some cases that wont pay the wages of one player for one day.

If we had got into the champions league things may very well have been different.
We also had a share issue which even though it done well didn't raise as much as was probably expected.
Add in to the fact that Dave King wants his money back and Club 1872 is a shambles and can't pay him then you can see why we didn't go in for the likes of Pogba and Ronaldo this summer

It’s the failure by some to accept or just appreciate the obvious financial difficulties we face.

You hear it every week on here after a bad result. Last night someone was bemoaning our failure to spend money bringing in ‘3 or 4 quality additions to improve the first team.’

At the same time, not doing so does run the risk of the starting eleven getting stale. None of the new recruits have hit the ground running, although a couple of them have still to kick a ball yet.

I think this lack of quality infusion to the team sheet coupled with the heroic efforts of last season is what’s ailing us at present.

Whether we’ll ever find greater energy and fluidity or just stumble on sluggishly is a question we’re asking more and more as the weeks progress.

It’s frustrating, but we are where we are.
The counter argument is whether we could have spent all of the summer money (signing on fees and wages) on one player that would have improved the first team?

I'd say some have more ambition, others are happy to peddle the look where we were stuff incessantly.

Ambition is dictated by reality. And judging by posts since last night, there is a huge disconnect between those for an element of the support.

If I say “we should have spent 10m on Veerman” - is that ambition or displaying an ignorance of financial realities?

And the “where we were” should be uppermost in our minds at all times. I’m amazed at how flippant some can be about it.

I think we always need a bit of freshness and if money isn't there you need to sell before you buy. I think we relied heavily on getting champions league money and perhaps this is why we opted to keep the main players here. We need to come to terms that buying low and selling big is our model. We got both Alfredo and Kamara for just over £1m. We need to identify players like them that will immediately improve the first team. I will give it time for players to find their feet however i will say I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen so far from our buys this summer in terms of improving our starting 11. I exclude Bacuna in that as he obviously hasn't played yet.

Last edited:
Ambition is dictated by reality. And judging by posts since last night, there is a huge disconnect between those for an element of the support.

If I say “we should have spent 10m on Veerman” - is that ambition or displaying an ignorance of financial realities?

And the “where we were” should be uppermost in our minds at all times. I’m amazed at how flippant some can be about it.
Most of them are on the next thread the same day, complaining about the price of the 3 match package.
You couldn't make it up.

The counter argument is whether we could have spent all of the summer money (signing on fees and wages) on one player that would have improved the first team?

Definitely an option. But what if that player gets injured, Covid, doesn’t settle quickly…?

We won the league due to the depth of squad - and that included guys like McLaughlin + Balogun (I recall the angst on here when they were announced).

I’m looking forward to seeing Bacuna. He might provide the unpredictability we need.

why would anyone want to come and play in scotland?
If any player gets a Permiership team in for them they're very unlikely to come up here. The main reason players will end up here is because they can see it as a stepping stone towards the premiership or bing able to get first team football, and European football, if they are unable to get it at their current club.

I know plenty have come to rangers but why? Is it all just financially better for them , lured by SG instead of going to lower english divisions or what.? Lets be honest, the standard of football in the league is poor. We are not going to buy any current internationalists due to finances

I really don’t understand the financial plan from the club.
Our income during COVID must have been massive and not far off what it would have been without COVID ( euro gate receipts aside ) . Fans virtually filled the ground, decent euro income, putting staff on furlough and huge merchandising and yet we seem to be losing money all over the place. While it may have been massively risky and may have led to us losing the league last yet, from a business point of view you can’t say your skint then turn down £16m for one of your players.

its a massive worry when we can’t balance the books with massive season ticket sales, merchandising and a good Europa league run. Most of our staff were furloughed and any money lost in Matchday income would surely be offset but the money gained by not having stewards, policing and other Matchday costs. The only real loss I can see would be the gate receipts for euro games.
It genuinely concerns me that I don’t think we could have much more money coming in to the club by fans yet we can’t seem to break even. We keep hearing that we need to have a player transfer model but so far the club is failing miserably as either nobody wants our players or nobody values them enough to meet our valuations.

It’s not beyond childish at all. If we lose the league this season after they’ve gone through a massive rebuild and after finishing 25 points clear of them last season then there will be serious questions asked of our board, management team and players and rightly so. I’m not saying we definitely will lose the league but there’s no way we should be after being so far ahead of them coming into this season.
The manager would rightly be punted and the board held to account if we fail to win the league. It would be an embarrassment

Truth is if we cant manage the book with record strip, season ticket sales, europa league football then our wage bill is far too high. Same mistakes being made as Murray and Bain, average players being paid far too much, barker being a good example.

Definitely an option. But what if that player gets injured, Covid, doesn’t settle quickly…?

We won the league due to the depth of squad - and that included guys like McLaughlin + Balogun (I recall the angst on here when they were announced).

I’m looking forward to seeing Bacuna. He might provide the unpredictability we need.
I know what you mean but now, with that depth of squad, one quality addition would be my preferred option.

There is always the risk, as you say but the risk falls with the level of the player.

Hopefully Bacuna gives us that unpredictable aspect that we are missing.

Back