My summary of last nights performance

jscotty1

So, let's begin with the first half. First 15/20 minutes we applied a high block that seemed to be working very effectively, Lee Wallace able to get a snapshot away on the 7th min due to us recovering the ball on the edge of their box (albeit this lead to his injury).

This high block paid dividends for us as Josh Windass took the ball inside and drove forward with his goal-bound shot being blocked by a thistle defender, Ryan Jack instrumental here as an enforcer of the high block and winning the ball back and then gaining an assist as he set-up Morelos for a fantastic finish.

Pedro deserves plaudits for this, this is his instruction to the team and it is working - not only in this game.

31st minute we should score again, Morelos wins the ball back (again!), promising break forward by Windass however he makes a poor decision with his pass. He could have slipped Dorrans through for a 1v1 or Miller out wide who would have been able to drive the ball across the box. That being said the ball works its way back to Windass who is unlucky with his shot heading toward the goal blocked by the arm of a thistle defender.

33rd minute - Stonewall red card stamp on Jack (despite McCoists best efforts to downplay it) - would've had a huge influence on the game at this stage.

41st minute - Excellent driving run from Tav down the right wing, fires the ball across and Windass making a fantastic fast burst into the box fluffs it slightly - unlucky but a good chance created none the less. So, despite not playing our best we dominated the first half and could have expected to have scored 2 goals. Not bad.

The problems though begin with the start of the second half, albeit in the first minute of it, we create another great chance. Exquisite long range diagonal pass from Windass on to Tav's feet, he drives inside and lays off to Candeias who is very wasteful from 13 yards (with no pressure on him).

51st minute - Poor from Candeias in the midfield to give away the ball, even worse defending from Alves and Cardoso by not attacking the high ball and allowing it to bounce, Cardoso then gives away a stupid foul. Even more frustrating is that Alves completely sells the jersey in the wall, if he stands still it smacks off him and away, but inexplicably he moves to the side actually veering in front of another Gers man in the wall, gifting Thistle an undeserved goal. Not what you expect from a guy with 90 odd caps for Portugal.

59th minute - Horrific defending again gifting Thistle a goal. Not sure who is most to blame for this, Alves and Cardoso attempt an out of sync offside trap, Tav is not aware of this and plays Spittal onside, that being said the whole defence then stops. TWO thistle players who are initially behind Tav burst past him at the back post (sound familiar - Tynecastle last year?) and are both queuing up for a tap in. This is simply not good enough. Pedro will have been furious, we've never tried an offside trap like that before, so I can only assume it was a spur of the moment poor decision from Alves and Cardoso.

65th minute - good move forward on the left, excellent hanging ball played in by Candeias, perhaps Peña and Morelos get in each others way. That type of cross would've been perfect for Herrera.

66th minute - Stonewall red card given. Thistles shape changes from this point on, back 5 now established.

76th minute - Dorrans with an outstanding goal. More like it from him, hope he builds on this. Just a note here to say that we're scoring more goals with midfielders this year, such an improvement on last year where almost no goals/assists were coming from midfield.

77th minute - Here is where we see Peña at his best, John on the left whips in a ball as Peña makes a late run into the box and his first time shot is unlucky to head straight at the keeper. More of this from him is required as it will pay off!

84th minute - Two excellent pieces of play, Tav driving into the box and cross blocked by a thistle player, Candeias then whips in a great ball that is clawed away by the keeper, on another day both could be assists for goals.

88th minute - Tav with a world class delivery from deep into Morelos, god only knows why he didn't try to head this, looks like he tries to chest this. Again, another fantastic opportunity spurned.

92nd minute - ball played in to Morelos who hits a shot, the Thistle defenders then sit on top of the ball - Iv tried to find rules regarding this but I think that it should have been an in-direct free kick for us as it is impossible for us to play the ball, ref bottles it and somehow gives the decision the other way.

Overall

Our defence is to blame for last nights result, no doubt about it. Two ridiculous errors against a limited Thistle side who possessed no threat aside from the goals.

Our attacking play was good. We created numerous chances to score and fluffed our lines on occasion. On another day we would have scored 3/4. This is a huge improvement on last season where in games like this we wouldn't create anywhere near the amount of chances we did. Believe it or not, the stats show that the more we play through Windass the more dangerous we are.

My biggest disappointment last night was the performance of Alves and the fact we were only able to get Morelos one clear shot at goal once in the match.

We are on the right track bears, it just needs time. I know that we are not the most patient set of fans (myself included) but to blame last night on the manager is short-sighted. The only criticism of him is playing Miller. Chopping and changing managers is not going to solve our problems, we have made huge strides and we will continue to do so, it is evident from our play we are much more of a threat going forward. Keep the faith!

Not a bad summary that would have taken an age to type out

Good effort mate

Some may disagree with bits but hey ho. It's your opinion and more than entitled to share it!!

Cheers, just felt I had to write it all out as Iv seen some comments slating our potential for creating chances etc, really wanted to focus on the fact it was our defence that let us down.

Manager has to take some of the blame for picking Taverner at right back as he can't defend. If he plays there next Saturday we'll get ripped apart. Defence to blame last night.

Good summary, however I'd add that John was also defensively naive for most of the time he was on.

Fear for next week if Wallace is missing.

Manager has to take some of the blame for picking Taverner at right back as he can't defend. If he plays there next Saturday we'll get ripped apart. Defence to blame last night.

I'd argue this point. Would you rather have played Lee Hodson at right back? Personally, not for me. The guy is not Rangers quality, he is easily pushed off the ball and does not offer anywhere near the quality of Tav in an attacking sense. We now have Jack and Candeias who should be able to cover for Tav when he goes forward, this has worked well quite often.

With regards to Thistles second goal, we've never played an offside trap like that before, Alves tried it and then Cardoso appears to have joined the bandwagon, leaving Tavernier completely exposed. That does not excuse his part in the goal, it's criminal he let the two thistle players go past him.

Next week vs Celtic we need to be firing quality balls into the box to have any chance of winning, the only two players capable of doing that are Tav and Candeias, therefore, he starts for me. Instruct Jack to always cover the RB area when Tav goes forward and we should be okay.

Tav frustrates the hell out of me as he does put in some brilliant balls to the box at times, but defensively he is constantly getting caught out. We don't really have any alternatives now though, full backs were a priority in the last window!

Tav frustrates the hell out of me as he does put in some brilliant balls to the box at times, but defensively he is constantly getting caught out. We don't really have any alternatives now though, full backs were a priority in the last window!
Not sure they were a priority ahead of CBs, defensive mid and a striker. Tav certainly needs to improve defensively or be replaced in the summer.

That's a very good summary. To me it highlights that in every game this season we are showing great patches of play.

As yet, those patches aren't converting into enough goals, and in the times when we aren't in the game we are getting caught out at the back.

I'm still optimistic after our last two showings prior to last night, and I think that with more time, we will prolong these 'patches' of good play.

It boils down once again though to the patience of the support to see this change through and allow us to continue to improve, even if it means more dropped points at this stage of our development.

That's a very good summary. To me it highlights that in every game this season we are showing great patches of play.

As yet, those patches aren't converting into enough goals, and in the times when we aren't in the game we are getting caught out at the back.

I'm still optimistic after our last two showings prior to last night, and I think that with more time, we will prolong these 'patches' of good play.

It boils down once again though to the patience of the support to see this change through and allow us to continue to improve, even if it means more dropped points at this stage of our development.

Completely agree. Decision making is a big problem with regard to not taking full advantage in our good patches. I will refer back to the 31st minute when Windass has the opportunity to play in Dorrans for a 1vs1 or Miller who is all alone inside the box on the right hand side, poor choice to play to Morelos, essentially spurning a better opportunity than the one eventually laid off to Windass.

It's a tough one with regards to our decision making.

Do we make the wrong decision a times due to the team needing more time to gel, and for players to 'know' how their other teammates play?

Or do we have players that are incapable of making the right choice due to a poor footballing brain?

The easy criticism is that Windass has a poor footballing brain. Pace and a bit of skill but at times an awful final ball/piece of play. Is age and lackbof experience a factor?

To me, time and the team gelling and getting more experience with one another can sort this out.

Very good summary & conclusion from jscotty1.

It was 2 defensive howlers that cost us the game, surely that can't be blamed on the manager.

Going forward the players made the wrong choice / pass at times, surely that will come with time, it's just a case of how much time.

Nice post.

I won't bother starting another thread on the topic, but outside of physical skill and technical attributes of individuals, one area we clearly lack in, is winning under pressure.

It requires a certain mentality and desire, but in the past, when we had opportunities to put pressure on the mentally challengeds, pre 2012, 9/10 we were winning and then asking questions of them.

Can't help but feel we just don't have that in the locker any longer.

Last night, win the game, then shift the onus to them and the sheep. Keep asking the question and then we can really see where our competitors rank. At present, we've gifted them an open goal.

Tough though, just one of the many side effects to having a squad raped by fraudsters (internal and external)

Excellent summary there.

The two goals we gave away were criminally bad. But... they should be easy to fix in training. The two centre halves had a poor night, let's hope it isn't a regular occurrence.

The team as a whole didn't play as well as we have recently last night. We were putting balls into the box quite often, but never really created a lot from it. Players such as Windass & Dorrans were having shots from 30/40 yards going miles high & wide at times in the second half. We need to control the game a lot better from midfield, maybe 442 should be ditched, I'm not sure. Definitely has to be ditched next week for an extra man in midfield though.

Excellent post from jscotty1 we as a support are desperate for success on the park and it will come nothing surer, but until it does keep the faith and support the team. Trust me it hurts our haters to know we are slowly but surely fighting our way back to our rightful place. It will be a celebration like no other when we get there.

Excellent post from jscotty1 we as a support are desperate for success on the park and it will come nothing surer, but until it does keep the faith and support the team. Trust me it hurts our haters to know we are slowly but surely fighting our way back to our rightful place. It will be a celebration like no other when we get there.

Very true, it's so important to try and keep the faith, otherwise chopping and changing quickly will hurt us. Just look at Crystal Palace, what an absolute mess they are in!

Those celebrations will be very long, indeed.

Very good post and agree with assessment of the game overall. Pedro set the team out to win the match and signs were good. On another night Gers would have gotten the 3pts if not for the defensive lapses which unfortunately got punished.
Same performance on Tuesday night with more solid defensive display should see us go through.

Never seen such chaos trying to get into a ground as last night.
Any Bears going on Tuesday night hope you all manage to get there early and do not suffer same congestion and delays.
Give Pedro and the team your full backing.
As jscotty1 says the signs are there and I am sure the rewards will come.

Cheers, just felt I had to write it all out as Iv seen some comments slating our potential for creating chances etc, really wanted to focus on the fact it was our defence that let us down.
Our full backs will let us down at every turn They have been making the same mistakes since it started going belly up under Warburton in the Cup final versus the Leith Junkies . Alves and Cardoso are better than Kiernan and Wilson any day and get a pass because it's early days for them as a partnership.

Far too sensible from the OP.

Won't suit those who just want to criticise everything and anything.

Would agree with OP that we were the cause of all our problems last night.

Like all the other sensible posters on this thread, I can see the difference from last season in general play and want Pedro to succeed but he needs to address the same old problems with the defence.

Voice of reason there. Just to add, Wes did not have any real work to do last night. Thought the defence was doing well up until the two howlers. Shoots of recovery are there to see but does need time.
WATP

Pedro had a go at Tav early in the game despite this the problems persisted

So, let's begin with the first half. First 15/20 minutes we applied a high block that seemed to be working very effectively, Lee Wallace able to get a snapshot away on the 7th min due to us recovering the ball on the edge of their box (albeit this lead to his injury).

This high block paid dividends for us as Josh Windass took the ball inside and drove forward with his goal-bound shot being blocked by a thistle defender, Ryan Jack instrumental here as an enforcer of the high block and winning the ball back and then gaining an assist as he set-up Morelos for a fantastic finish.

Pedro deserves plaudits for this, this is his instruction to the team and it is working - not only in this game.

31st minute we should score again, Morelos wins the ball back (again!), promising break forward by Windass however he makes a poor decision with his pass. He could have slipped Dorrans through for a 1v1 or Miller out wide who would have been able to drive the ball across the box. That being said the ball works its way back to Windass who is unlucky with his shot heading toward the goal blocked by the arm of a thistle defender.

33rd minute - Stonewall red card stamp on Jack (despite McCoists best efforts to downplay it) - would've had a huge influence on the game at this stage.

41st minute - Excellent driving run from Tav down the right wing, fires the ball across and Windass making a fantastic fast burst into the box fluffs it slightly - unlucky but a good chance created none the less. So, despite not playing our best we dominated the first half and could have expected to have scored 2 goals. Not bad.

The problems though begin with the start of the second half, albeit in the first minute of it, we create another great chance. Exquisite long range diagonal pass from Windass on to Tav's feet, he drives inside and lays off to Candeias who is very wasteful from 13 yards (with no pressure on him).

51st minute - Poor from Candeias in the midfield to give away the ball, even worse defending from Alves and Cardoso by not attacking the high ball and allowing it to bounce, Cardoso then gives away a stupid foul. Even more frustrating is that Alves completely sells the jersey in the wall, if he stands still it smacks off him and away, but inexplicably he moves to the side actually veering in front of another Gers man in the wall, gifting Thistle an undeserved goal. Not what you expect from a guy with 90 odd caps for Portugal.

59th minute - Horrific defending again gifting Thistle a goal. Not sure who is most to blame for this, Alves and Cardoso attempt an out of sync offside trap, Tav is not aware of this and plays Spittal onside, that being said the whole defence then stops. TWO thistle players who are initially behind Tav burst past him at the back post (sound familiar - Tynecastle last year?) and are both queuing up for a tap in. This is simply not good enough. Pedro will have been furious, we've never tried an offside trap like that before, so I can only assume it was a spur of the moment poor decision from Alves and Cardoso.

65th minute - good move forward on the left, excellent hanging ball played in by Candeias, perhaps Peña and Morelos get in each others way. That type of cross would've been perfect for Herrera.

66th minute - Stonewall red card given. Thistles shape changes from this point on, back 5 now established.

76th minute - Dorrans with an outstanding goal. More like it from him, hope he builds on this. Just a note here to say that we're scoring more goals with midfielders this year, such an improvement on last year where almost no goals/assists were coming from midfield.

77th minute - Here is where we see Peña at his best, John on the left whips in a ball as Peña makes a late run into the box and his first time shot is unlucky to head straight at the keeper. More of this from him is required as it will pay off!

84th minute - Two excellent pieces of play, Tav driving into the box and cross blocked by a thistle player, Candeias then whips in a great ball that is clawed away by the keeper, on another day both could be assists for goals.

88th minute - Tav with a world class delivery from deep into Morelos, god only knows why he didn't try to head this, looks like he tries to chest this. Again, another fantastic opportunity spurned.

92nd minute - ball played in to Morelos who hits a shot, the Thistle defenders then sit on top of the ball - Iv tried to find rules regarding this but I think that it should have been an in-direct free kick for us as it is impossible for us to play the ball, ref bottles it and somehow gives the decision the other way.

Overall

Our defence is to blame for last nights result, no doubt about it. Two ridiculous errors against a limited Thistle side who possessed no threat aside from the goals.

Our attacking play was good. We created numerous chances to score and fluffed our lines on occasion. On another day we would have scored 3/4. This is a huge improvement on last season where in games like this we wouldn't create anywhere near the amount of chances we did. Believe it or not, the stats show that the more we play through Windass the more dangerous we are.

My biggest disappointment last night was the performance of Alves and the fact we were only able to get Morelos one clear shot at goal once in the match.

We are on the right track bears, it just needs time. I know that we are not the most patient set of fans (myself included) but to blame last night on the manager is short-sighted. The only criticism of him is playing Miller. Chopping and changing managers is not going to solve our problems, we have made huge strides and we will continue to do so, it is evident from our play we are much more of a threat going forward. Keep the faith!

Man oh man what is wrong with you?? Far too much positivity here laying blame at the actual culprits feet and not calling for the manager to be publicly disembowled ffs no true rangers supporter could possibly come to such an astonishing conclusion.
I like it a lot lol

Brilliant post, this type of analysis will never catch on. People would much rather make 20 threads saying every player isn't good enough and the manager has to go then a week later after we win it's all smiles again.

We weren't at our best last night yet we should have won comfortably and Pedro set us up in the correct way to get a result. Individual mistakes during the 2 goals is what cost us the points.

So, let's begin with the first half. First 15/20 minutes we applied a high block that seemed to be working very effectively, Lee Wallace able to get a snapshot away on the 7th min due to us recovering the ball on the edge of their box (albeit this lead to his injury).My take on last night is a little bit shorter it was SHITE.

Overall

Very detailed and accurate summary, would like to see us apply ourselves more as we did in last 15 minutes of game.

You say in your summary you dont know who was to blame
Well 3 of them were , the left back , Windass and an other would have to see it again
But the three of them get drawn to the ball like 12 year olds

Excellent post, good to see someone taking the time on this. Sums up what I thought, I really didn't get the hysteria on here over Friday/Saturday, how we were abjectly poor, a disgrace, half the team were duds etc. There was a couple of very bad defensive lapses granted, and we could've done with some better quality chances, but we generally dominated the game, and a bit more composure in the first half, and/or coming up flying at the start of the 2nd (rather than very slow paced) wouldn't have been a contest.

One thing that concerns me is Windass - I think he looks a dangerous player, as you say, he took the wrong decision at his blocked shot - but his decision making lets him down so often after he's done great work to get in dangerous areas.

Great post op but you omitted the fact most of the other teams are much more physical than us. Thistle had team of hammer throwers out there trying to disrupt our play with dangerous tackles.

I was out for dinner with the wife. Seen the first half then from about 70 minutes onwards, so therefore missed the defensive howlers. Yesterday me and the mate had completely different views on where we are at. Your summary completely illustrates why as certainly we have improved and have been unlucky to not score alot more freely but again let down by a couple of punished errors

Back