New set up for Scottish football?

Big Joke New

With various teams getting together to review the set up of Scottish football I have had a quick think and came up with my own plan for league restructure. The biggest problem we have is there are too many clubs chasing too few supporters.

England has 10 times the population of Scotland but only 92 clubs in the 4 divisions. Therefore it makes sense that we only have 10 clubs.

Therefore via a system of mergers I propose we have the following 10 teams in a new league. No promotion or relegation.

• Rangers
  • Glasgow City (merger of Sellick, Partick, Clyde, Queen's Park)
  • Edinburgh United (Hearts, HIVs, Livingston, Edinburgh City)
  • Highland Sheepshaggers (Aberdeen, Ross County, Inverness CT, Cove Rangers, Elgin, Peterhead)
  • Tayside (Bumdee, Bumdee United, St Johnstone, Arbroath, Montrose, Forfar, Brechin)
  • Southern (Kilmarnock, Ayr, Queen of the South, Stranraer, Annan)
  • Lanarkshire (Murderwell, Hamilton, Airdrie, Albion Rovers)
  • Fife United (Raith, Dunfermline, East Fife, Kelty, Cowdenbeath)
  • West of Scotland (St Mirren, Morton, Dumbarton)
  • Central (Falkirk, Alloa, Sirling Albion, Stenhousmuir)

Names could be made more interesting of course

I think it's the way forward. Any thoughts? ;)

Merging clubs is all well and good on paper but a non starter in reality. Let's be honest, who is anyone to turn round one day and say to clubs such as Motherwell, Hamilton, Airdrie and Albion "Right guys, I know you have all been around 100+ years each but now we're putting you all together and you're going to be called Lanarkshire. Suck on that". Whilst these clubs maybe amass around 10,000 regular match going fans between the four of them is irrelevant - you are on a surefire way to completely alienate that 10,000 from the Scottish game completely.

If the clubs arrive at that agreement themselves, fair enough. However, they all know the resistance it would get from fans.

With various teams getting together to review the set up of Scottish football I have had a quick think and came up with my own plan for league restructure. The biggest problem we have is there are too many clubs chasing too few supporters.

England has 10 times the population of Scotland but only 92 clubs in the 4 divisions. Therefore it makes sense that we only have 10 clubs.

Therefore via a system of mergers I propose we have the following 10 teams in a new league. No promotion or relegation.

• Rangers
  • Highland Sheepshaggers (Aberdeen, Ross County, Inverness CT, Cove Rangers, Elgin, Peterhead)
  • Tayside (Bumdee, Bumdee United, St Johnstone, Arbroath, Montrose, Forfar, Brechin)

you having a good day mate?

The sooner Scotland stops comparing itself to English football which is an entirely different product given the money in it, the better.

Look at what other countries do who are of similar size and stature to us.

Changing the professional leagues won't make much of a difference at the top level. The grassroots is where the issues really lie mainly.

• Rangers

Hopefully you get your wish when the scum are shut down.

Back