Nil By Mouth jump the shark

They (NBM) were nailed to the floor in my eyes as part of the problem the day they replied to identical letters from a made up rangers fan and celtic fan with different responses. Literally a step by step guide on what to do next for the Celtic fan while the rangers fan gets a ‘we are sorry you endured that’ statement and ‘not much else you can do’ waffle. I believe the poster was called gomacgers and he absolutely destroyed their credibility with 2 emails.

Between this lot and the FARE guy who was a Celtic fan and used the wrong twitter account once it’s funny how their employees are always in a particular mould(did he call us huns? Or has my brain made it even more blatant than it was?).

They (NBM) were nailed to the floor in my eyes as part of the problem the day they replied to identical letters from a made up rangers fan and celtic fan with different responses. Literally a step by step guide on what to do next for the Celtic fan while the rangers fan gets a ‘we are sorry you endured that’ statement and ‘not much else you can do’ waffle. I believe the poster was called gomacgers and he absolutely destroyed their credibility with 2 emails.

Between this lot and the FARE guy who was a Celtic fan and used the wrong twitter account once it’s funny how their employees are always in a particular mould(did he call us huns? Or has my brain made it even more blatant than it was?).
I would love to see those emails/letters if you have a link? Totally believable but a great way of showing them up

@NBMScotland

We are aware of the recent derogatory tweets directed towards Rangers fans by St Mirren chairman and subsequent apology. We suggest these sentiments could be made more tangible by a donation toward Rangers Charity Foundation to support its education work with young people.

So if your caught out, you just pay the offended clubs money, so THEY can then teach their own support about sectarianism?
Where’s the condemnation ?

@NBMScotland

We are aware of the recent derogatory tweets directed towards Rangers fans by St Mirren chairman and subsequent apology. We suggest these sentiments could be made more tangible by a donation toward Rangers Charity Foundation to support its education work with young people.

So if your caught out, you just pay the offended clubs money, so THEY can then teach their own support about sectarianism?
Just pay for your sins? I’ve heard that story before somewhere. Germany roundabout 1517? A man refused to accept the practice of indulgences.What was his name again?

Imagine if it was similar tweets from Park/Robertson etc.

They’d be shouting from the rooftops and calling for resignations.
They'd want them hung drawn and quartered. So apologise and everything is fine let's see if the SFA punish this prick no doubt they'll do the same as uefa fcuk all

Looking forward to Graham speirs turning up it his door this week “put the fire on John and I’ll let them know you are the victim “

They better not be hanging about Ibrox wi their begging bowls coz I'll tell whoever it is to sling their fuukin hook.

@NBMScotland

Erm! I think you’ll find it was directed towards “huns”.

Change that word to “feenyins”(sic) and NBM and the entire Scottish media would explode.

Gleeful reporting for a month right there.

Can't even remember this. Can these emails be found anywhere?

This whole situation is ridiculous and it infuriates me the power that has been placed in the hands of these one-sided joke organisations.

That is not the agenda that was set, that is not the rules that were set, that is not the standards that are set.

I’m not saying they should but the club could now get involved with our charity being named. Any dirty bigoted, vile hush money should be refused vehemently and what should be offered is a very public offer of attendance with a Everyone, Anyone awareness course.

Detestable country

It's in here

Thanks. My bad. It wasn't coming up on my searches.

The specific text is below ...

"Offensive sectarian language is still used in Scotland on a daily basis, with abusive terms such as “Hun” and “Orange bastard” being used negatively against Protestants (or those perceived to be) and others such as “19th Century Terrorist” and “Tim” used negatively against Catholics (or those perceived to be). This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as fuelling the divisions and conflict between the denominations and people of no religious denomination. Children commonly use words without any knowledge of their meaning, but with an understanding that these words are a means by which to insult others."

I'd be interested to find out, with thier original position outlined above on thier site, how they square away thier response to a musical tune with someone in a position of power in the game using "offensive sectarian language".

Why have they downgraded the St Mirren directors use of language from sectarian to offensive??

Matin Luther will be spinning...504 years later and they are still at it - In 'paying for your sins'

I would love to see those emails/letters if you have a link? Totally believable but a great way of showing them up
Can't even remember this. Can these emails be found anywhere?

This whole situation is ridiculous and it infuriates me the power that has been placed in the hands of these one-sided joke organisations.

Was from this board about 10 years ago on one of the other platforms. He put up identical letters and the difference in reply to each was sinister.

Thanks. My bad. It wasn't coming up on my searches.

The specific text is below ...

"Offensive sectarian language is still used in Scotland on a daily basis, with abusive terms such as “Hun” and “Orange bastard” being used negatively against Protestants (or those perceived to be) and others such as “19th Century Terrorist” and “Tim” used negatively against Catholics (or those perceived to be). This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as fuelling the divisions and conflict between the denominations and people of no religious denomination. Children commonly use words without any knowledge of their meaning, but with an understanding that these words are a means by which to insult others."

I'd be interested to find out, with thier original position outlined above on thier site, how they square away thier response to a musical tune with someone in a position of power in the game using "offensive sectarian language".

Why have they downgraded the St Mirren directors use of language from sectarian to offensive??
I've emailed them asking them exactly this. I don't expect a reply to be honest.

Seem to recall wee p Hardie making his first appearance in ages at the County Council of Scotland offices to shriek that Rangers should be shut down as our fans were displaying happiness & joy last March.
Have he and any of his cohorts popped yet to point fingers at Needham?
Rhetorical question, we all know the answer.

Listen to the H&H daily update of today if you have the opportunity.

@NBMScotland

That's how confession works. Sin away, own up, three hail Mary's and your in the clear.

Was from this board about 10 years ago on one of the other platforms. He put up identical letters and the difference in reply to each was sinister.
It was from old time poster gomacgers who dealt directly with Helen Miller

As a Celtic fan he was urged to send as much information on as possible

As a Rangers fan his path to obscurity was pretty well trodden

She refused to discussed and threatened him the police once her own bigotry was exposed

Where’s the condemnation ?
Just looked at nbm website and discovered this opinion piece from a Gers fan in 2017. I don't know if Rick writes on this forum but would be interested in his opinion now on this topic and nbm as his thoughts are still very current. Note there are no responses posted to it.

Opinion Blog: Not Impressed by the Press…​

posted in: Opinions | 0

December 6 2017

This week’s blog is by Rangers fan Rick Roberts who offers his view from the stands on sectarianism in Scotland, how it is reported in the media and the importance of trust in the ongoing public debate…

Not Impressed by the Press…​

“…somewhere between an altruistic desire to improve and move my country forward and a bloody-minded refusal to be dictated to by people I can’t trust”.

That could probably sum up where I currently stand on what I consider to somewhat circular debate on Scottish football and sectarianism. I dare say it could also cover a lot of issues for a lot of people. Tribalism tends to do that – as does unbalanced treatment or even just the perception of it. Unfortunately the latter perception will need some serious reconciliation before the former altruism can dictate things for me again.

It wasn’t always like this. Despite joining in with the battle tunes I wasn’t opposed or closed when the issue of “sectarian” singing was raised in the press back in the 90s. Certain songs, or certain words in certain songs, were probably unnecessary and with Rangers playing near the top of European football there was an argument that some sanitizing could help the club take the next steps (or at least not hinder it). The journalists who raised the issue seemed righteous enough, spoke-well and had the platform of respected broadsheets and broadcasters to project from. However, as time went on something jarred with me. The subject wasn’t quite being given the completeness and honesty I’d expected. Rangers fans were being hammered left, right and centre, narratives were being set, but what I’d consider to be sectarian (and certainly offensive) behaviour elsewhere was being pretty much ignored. Rather naively I’d expected absolutes to be applied across the board. What’s wrong is wrong, right? We’d chip away and fix this thing together? Apparently not.

One complication with the whole mess is that context cannot be removed. It’s one of the world’s fiercest rivalries and we take pride it that when it suits and as many have joked it’s possibly the only selling point to Scottish football at the moment. You have one side ramping up the offensiveness and in return it gets volleyed back. Evolve that over decades and the result is bound to be pretty grisly.

Take an analogy of a boxing match – you have two wiling competitors both throwing punches and both fully committed. However, if you take the actions of one in isolation it doesn’t represent what’s actually happening. You could frame it as one deranged madman throwing punches and demonise him for such actions but it wouldn’t be the whole picture or the truth.
Yet this is how I consider Rangers fans to have been treated in this charade. We were told what a word meant when we used it, even when it didn’t. We were told the support was a seething, angry mass of lawlessness and bigotry even though a look around Ibrox showed the opposite – everyday people just taking in the match no different to any other ground. Yet context was removed and absolutes were applied. In this environment even pretty benign subjects can be sensationalised. And annoyingly/amazingly others were still being ignored, or worse still given tacit approval by having their chants gleefully dismissed or re-categorised by the press cheerleaders.

It then sunk in that this was just a game, a bit of a laugh and some individual’s made considerable mileage out of it whilst as a happy coincidence Rangers took the brunt of the flak. Over the years many of the prime movers and commentators have been proven to be partisan. Yet worryingly for years they have been allowed to drive the narrative and decide what was right or wrong. Like all things they got traction because there is a degree of truth in the original subject which was then dragged out of context and dissected. They failed time and time again to apply the same logic and reasoning to others. They failed to take any momentum and give real shape or purpose to the discussions and where they consistently fell way short – to search for solutions. A cynic would say they don’t want a solution and are quite happy with the status quo.
Another negative, it could be argued that the actions of the main commentators has actually made the situation worse. Banter has been driving out of Scottish football and a perma-offended, tell-tale culture encouraged. Views polarized and sides entrenched as the press seemed to float away in a bubble where Rangers baiting and Rangers bashing was seen as fair game – even within publicly sponsored broadcasters. The baiting continued and Rangers fans were being dehumanised by compromised commentators, to the extent outright lies have been told in the national press. My observation is that agendas have been acted out by fans of sporting and cultural rivals under the false banners of virtue or social responsibility. Other Rangers’ fans have seen this and many have turned their back on aspects of mainstream media and frankly do not trust the anti-sectarianism industry. That’s a large section of the population to be disengaged.

A commonly seen phrase is that “Rangers deserve it” – that it’s a form of karmic punishment being dished out. That some have misbehaved in the past or through the use of inappropriate or ill-advised words which makes it fair game to label and demonise the whole group. Doesn’t that labelling make those commentators just as bad? For me sectarianism isn’t just about a bad word here or there, it’s about actions. How you act day to day and how you treat people. These are universals and accepting no-one is perfect, improving can be an aim. Equally, no entire support is better than any other and it just cannot be portrayed as being the case. Using a professional position or platform to act out cultural or sporting prejudices or to extract damage or advantage from them is poor form – and in many ways worse than a throwaway football chant as it’s abusing a position of trust. In my opinion, others in positions of responsibility have been guilty of failing to recognise this or call this out. That’s their job, their role in the whole thing and their silence is probably received as acceptance or even encouragement.

Rangers’ fans aren’t perfect but then we never claimed to be whilst others have. There’s a basic hierarchy of behaviour and decency and most people know how to behave. A fierce rivalry probably increases the dimensions of that envelope, rightly or wrongly. There’s a case for introspection for all supporters and clubs on that point and self-awareness and self-policing on many issues. When someone genuinely over-steps the line there should be consequences, we all agree on that. That said it’s slightly concerning that we are at a place where a spoken word can get you more jail time than actual physical assault.

Scotland’s sporting rivalries have plenty of history, baggage and bad habits. After 20 years or so of this I’ve yet to see any of the messy stuff (across the board) being discussed freely and openly at government level, in the sport’s governing bodies or in the press. From what i’ve seen no real solutions have been suggested or common vision proposed. NBM and others may do good work, may have great ideas – if so these simply haven’t received the airing required or have been drowned out by the noise to sell newspapers or act out agendas. My opinion is that plenty of the baggage could be dropped and many of the bad habits left behind by all sides. Sadly that is not going to happen when there’s agendas in play and where trust is found lacking.

Reactions: SSR
It was from old time poster gomacgers who dealt directly with Helen Miller

As a Celtic fan he was urged to send as much information on as possible

As a Rangers fan his path to obscurity was pretty well trodden

She refused to discussed and threatened him the police once her own bigotry was exposed

Exactly. The threat to the police involved him posting her email on follow follow right? She wanted as little an audience as possible for her bigotry. Also done pre twitter I believe so a missed opportunity to go properly viral.

Exactly. The threat to the police involved him posting her email on follow follow right? She wanted as little an audience as possible for her bigotry. Also done pre twitter I believe so a missed opportunity to go properly viral.
The dual letters by Gomacgers were written circa 2001/02/03 ish. Possibly GS has them in an archive somewhere.

NBM was a con from the very start. Started because of a real tragedy it was ambushed before it had even hit the streets and in the public eye.

Back