Oliver McBurnie labels Rangers’ Europa League run incredible

George Goudie

Official Ticketer
Had a look and was surprised to see there wasn't a thread on this:

Olie McBurnie labels Rangers’ Europa League run incredible
October 15, 2018

Glasgow Rangers fan Oli McBurnie has admitted that he has been delighted to watch the events that have unfolded at Ibrox this season.

oli_mcburnie_of_swansea_city_applauds_the_fans_at_the_final_whis_878253.jpg

In comments reported by the Sunday Post, Oli McBurnie has suggested that he has loved watching Rangers’ transformation under Steven Gerrard, and labelled the Gers’ performances in the Europa League incredible.

Despite their slightly underwhelming Scottish Premiership position, there is no question that there is more optimism at Ibrox than there has been for a number of years with Gerrard clearly building an exciting team that many are expecting to challenge for the title this season.

The Gers also find themselves in the semi-final of the League Cup and currently top their Europa League group after drawing with Villarreal and beating Rapid Vienna. It has been a remarkable run through the qualifying rounds, and McBurnie lauded the impact that Gerrard has had since arriving in the summer.

“Steven Gerrard has done really well. The European run has been incredible,” he said, as reported by the Sunday Post. “Rangers are getting back to where they once were, and where they want to be.

rangers_english_manager_steven_gerrard_celebrates_victory_in_the_932500.jpg

“It’s a long season, but if they keep doing what they have been, they will get there. I haven’t been up to any games yet this season. We haven’t had time off. I have been watching on TV, though, and the transition has been exciting to watch.”

Of course, it seemed possible over the summer that McBurnie could have been a part of the transformation at Ibrox. The Sun reported in May that Rangers made a £4 million bid for the Scotland international, but he ultimately ended up signing a new contract with Swansea City.

ryan_kent_of_rangers_celebrates_after_he_scores_the_opening_goal_934878.jpg

McBurnie will not regret the decision to stay with the Swans while he is playing regularly at the Liberty Stadium, but the boyhood Rangers fan would be forgiven for wondering every now and then what it would have been like had he joined the Gers in the summer.

Rangers return to action next Sunday as they travel to face Hamilton, while their next European game comes the following Thursday as they host Spartak Moscow at Ibrox.

https://footballnewspapers.com/oli-mcburnie-labels-rangers-europa-league-run-incredible/

Nice wee story that. To think that we were bidding £4.5m for him as p3n was predicting admin Eleventeen. :) Prick!

Last edited:
Thanks for the article OM.

He isn't as good as KL or AM.

Hope he develops and moves to us if he goes to the next level.

I think I would put him in-front of Kyle Lafferty. My mate is a Swans fan and goes down quite a lot, I'll ask his opinion on it.

He’d be third choice striker for us at the moment, which is a good sign given he’s a decent big player.

No chance is he better than Lafferty. McBurnie wouldn't even produce half of the performance Lafferty had in Villarreal.

slightly unfair, That was a one off game and could also be said for numerous players and performance etc. I haven't seen much of McBurnie this season but I seen a lot last season when his confidence was high and he looked class.

slightly unfair, That was a one off game and could also be said for numerous players and performance etc. I haven't seen much of McBurnie this season but I seen a lot last season when his confidence was high and he looked class.

I'm not doubting that McBurnie is a good player but to suggest he is better than Lafferty IMO isn't right.

McBurnie is one of these players IMO that might not be able to handle the expectation and pressure of playing for a club like ours. Lafferty has no problem with that. Lafferty has also played in some good leagues and has been instrumental to a small nation getting to a tournament. I really doubt many people at this stage of McBurnie's career would take him over Lafferty or as you say, put him before Lafferty at present.

I'm not doubting that McBurnie is a good player but to suggest he is better than Lafferty isn't unfair at all.

McBurnie is one of these players IMO that might not be able to handle the expectation and pressure of playing for a club like ours. Lafferty has no problem with that. Lafferty has also played in some good leagues and has been instrumental to a small nation getting to a tournament. I really doubt many people at this stage of McBurnie's career would take him over Lafferty or as you say, put him before Lafferty at present.

If you have watched him play a few games in the last year then fair play. But the way he was playing last year although a slightly lower standard than present, with confidence high, he can score goals. No-one knows if he can handle the expectation, the same goes for most players that come here. Laff obviously an exception due to being here before.

McBurnie looks an honest big trier but I've saw nothing in him to suggest he's worth the sort of money being touted for him.

He looked awful yesterday for Scotland.

Confidence is low just now, if he can find last seasons form then he'd get going. although, he has scored 4/5 goals already in a tough championship. If that's him in bad form..

McBurnie looks an honest big trier but I've saw nothing in him to suggest he's worth the sort of money being touted for him.

He looked awful yesterday for Scotland.

Genuinely hadn't noticed he was even playing until quite far in, as I missed the start of the match and team sheet.

As you say, he looked every bit a Scotland player, yesterday, and miles short of being a Rangers player.

Nothing against the big lad, as he's one of us, but I'm glad we didn't throw £4.5m at him based on the little I've seen of him this season.

I've seen him about 5 times now, and he has been at best average, did anyone watch him for Scotland last night? I know he was in a shoite team, but he was awful.

I've not seen much of him so I honestly don't know how good or poor he is. He's well rated at Swansea. What I will say is that I wouldn't be judging him, Naismith, Griffiths or anyone else on playing the lone striker role for one of the most uncreative sides I've ever seen.

There’s nothing at all in that article to confirm we made a bid, nothing from us, Swansea or the player.

It’s one website regurgitating the Sun article.

I’d be confident in saying there was no bid

The big man appears to split opinion on here :D I honestly haven't seen much of him at all, however I occasionally bump into a Swansea fan when we're walking our dogs, he reckons that if Swansea hadn't been relegated McBurnie wouldn't be a regular starter. He didn't say he was awful but doesn't appear to be his biggest fan.

Back