On This Day (February 24th)

Sam English

1877 - Rangers 4 (Marshall 2,P.Campbell,Dunlop) Caledonian 0- Friendly
1883 - Rangers 3
(Pringle, McHardy, McGregor) Thornliebank 0 - Friendly
1894 - Celtic 3 Rangers 2
(Gray, Barker) - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1900 - Rangers 2 (A.Smith, McPherson) Celtic 2 - Scottish Cup Semi-Final (33,000)
1912 - Rangers 4 (Hogg 2,Reid,Smith) Airdrieonians 1 - Scottish League Division One (15,000)
1917 - St.Mirren 1 Rangers 1 (Cairns) - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1923 - Morton 1 Rangers 1 (Dixon) - Scottish League Division One (16,000)
1926 - Falkirk 1 Rangers 1 (Malone) - Scottish League Division One (5,000)
1934 - St.Mirren 1 Rangers 2 (Dr.Marshall, J.Smith) - Scottish League Division One (14,000)
1940 - Alloa Athletic 1 Rangers 4 (Duncanson 2,Thornton 2) - Scottish Emergency War Cup (7,000)
The outbreak of the Second World War caused immediate abandonment of the Scottish League and threw the sporting world into chaos. Whilst regional leagues were later organised once it became clear that the Germans were unlikely to invade, cup football was a different matter altogether. In late 1939 the SFA announced the introduction of the Emergency War Cup, which would figure a two-legged first round then a straight knockout for the rest of the competition.
1945 - Rangers 2 (Young Pen, McCormack) Albion Rovers 1 - Southern League Cup Section A (10,000)
1951 - Raith Rovers 3 Rangers 1 (Waddell) - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1954 - Rangers 1 (Paton) British Army XI 2 - Friendly (30,000)
1962 - Hearts 0 Rangers 1 (McMillan) - Scottish League Division One (31,244)
1969 - Rangers 2 (Johnston, Persson) Hearts 0 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (48,246)
1973 - Rangers 1 (Johnstone) Hibernian 1 - Scottish Cup 4th Round (63,889)
1974 - Rangers 3 (Parlane 2 1Pen,Young) Dundee United 1 - Scottish League Division One (15,500)
For the second consecutive week Rangers were forced to play on a Sunday because of the miners' strike and power cuts affecting the Country. This time a crowd of only 15,500 were in attendance, nearly 50,000 less than had witnessed the previous week's match.
1979 - Hearts 3 Rangers 2 (Smith, Parlane) - Scottish Premier Division (16,500)
1997 - Former Rangers player Colin Liddell died. Born in 1926 Colin played for Morton in the 1948 Scottish Cup final and was snapped up by Hearts the following year for £10,000,then a record fee, before joining Rangers in 1950. In six years at Ibrox he made only 35 appearances, scoring eight times
1998 - Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 1 (Thern) - Scottish Premier Division (15,931)
2001 - Dundee 0 Rangers 1 (Konterman) - Scottish Premier League (9,778)
2002 - Forfar Athletic 0 Rangers 6 (Dodds 3,Arveladze 2,Kanchelskis) - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final (4,504)
2008 - Rangers 4 (Cousin, Naismith, Burke, Boyd) Gretna 2 - Scottish Premier League (48,375)
2011 - Sporting Lisbon CP 2 Rangers 2 (Diouf,Edu) - Europa League Last 32 Rangers went through on away goals (15,375)
2017 - Inverness CT 2 Rangers 1 (Waghorn Pen) - Scottish Premiership (6,415)
2018 - Rangers 2 (Murphy, Martin) Hearts 0 - Scottish Premiership (49,927)
2019 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 5 (Jack, Defoe, Arfield, Tavernier Pen, Lafferty) - Scottish Premiership (5,827)

A ridiculous mix up with our defence and goalie for their goal. Thern with a great finish for ours.

What a moment when the 'winner' went in :)

1998 Gordon Durie got concussed but was allowed to play on. He then collapsed with nobody near him and had to be stretchered off. I remember being genuinely in a panic he was in a really bad way.

1998 Gordon Durie got concussed but was allowed to play on. He then collapsed with nobody near him and had to be stretchered off. I remember being genuinely in a panic he was in a really bad way.
I was just about to post that. In the days before smart phones etc there was a genuine fear among the support for the remainder of the game.

2002 - Forfar Athletic 0 Rangers 6 (Dodds 3,Arveladze 2,Kanchelskis) - Scottish Cup Quarter-Final (4,504)
alan mcgregors debut?

2008 - Rangers 4 (Cousin, Naismith, Burke, Boyd) Gretna 2 - Scottish Premier League (48,375)
imagine allowing them two goals

2011 - Sporting Lisbon CP 2 Rangers 2 (Diouf,Edu) - Europa League Last 32 Rangers went through on away goals (15,375)
great trip and what a party down the strip in albuferia we had
@steincolin 4 buses glassy took?

this was a weekend?

nothing to really boast about , with news we were getting SG as manager kept us going.

2019 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 5 (Jack, Defoe, Arfield, Tavernier Pen, Lafferty) - Scottish Premiership (5,827)
a big win but not recall much

1998 - I was sat near the front of the stand into which Killie scored their goal. I still find it very hard to believe what Goram did that night. The other thing I remember was Durie's head injury. He took a bad blow to the head in a collision with a Killie defender, got back to his feet, walked a few yards and then collapsed unconscious. They brought him in a stretcher past where we were sat and he was out cold. He was rushed to the Southern General as the injury was thought to be severe.

1969 - Rangers 2 (Johnston, Persson) Hearts 0 - Scottish Cup 2nd Round (48,246)
1969 - If only that was the score the previous year?
One month earlier (Jan 27th), Colin Stein was suspended for 28 days, which seemed harsh, given it was his first sending off as a Rangers player (and only the second in his career), and Willie Johnston suspended for 21 days, in the days before they banned players for a number of games.
As fate and weather would have it, we only played one game in those 28 days, a 3-0 League win v St Johnstone, so their bans meant that Stein and Johnston actually only missed 1 game during that period.

They certainly made sure that would not happen again, when Colin Stein got banned for the remainder of the season, on his second sending off!

1979: Great football match on a sunny day at Tynecastle. Hearts scored 2 early goals and we came back with 2 in 3 minutes from Gordon Smith and Parlane. Cooper skinned Walter Kidd on the left (that was a rarity to be fair) and cut it back for Parlane to tap it in.

Then we f*cked it up second half.

Only other memory is Big Tam putting Malkie Robertson into the hoarding with a hard but fair tackle. Malkie dusted himself down, no hard feelings, but had to be subbed.

1998 - feared for Durie that night.

2002 - I remember the announcer at the game stopping halfway through reading out the teams to announce our first scorer.

2017 - Friday night shambles.

alan mcgregors debut?

this was a weekend?

nothing to really boast about , with news we were getting SG as manager kept us going.

2002 at Forfar was indeed Shagger's debut, replacing Klos at half-time.

1997 - Former Rangers player Colin Liddell died. Born in 1926 Colin played for Morton in the 1948 Scottish Cup final and was snapped up by Hearts the following year for £10,000,then a record fee, before joining Rangers in 1950. In six years at Ibrox he made only 35 appearances, scoring eight times
A very strange signing.

Colin Liddell was at Morton for two seasons (1947-49) and played against Rangers in the 1948 Scottish Cup Final, and the Replay, that had a combined attendance of over 260,000!
Yet, he is listed as having never played a League game for Morton!!!

We did a straight swap for Liddell, with the great Eddie Rutherford, who had made 155 appearances (34 Goals), in the previous 5 seasons going the other way to Hearts, in November 1951.
Colin Liddell had been at Hearts for two seasons and a bit, but made only 14 League appearances during that 2 year + period, and was not even getting a game for Hearts,
when Rangers offered Eddie Rutherford in a straight swap in Nov 1951.

Liddell went straight into the Rangers line up at Outside Left, and was an ever present for the remainder of that 51-52 season. (24 League 4 Scottish Cup, scoring 7 goals).
The 52-53 season he played in the our first 8 League Cup ties, and 6 of our 7 League games, but almost one year to day he had signed (having played in 42 of 43 games), he was replaced with Johnny Hubbard, who would make that Left Wing his own for the remaining 30 games of the season, as Rangers went on to collect the League Championship and Scottish Cup Double.
Liddell made no further appearances that season after Nov 8th.
He would make only 10 appearances over the next two seasons, his final 3 appearances, coming in Scot Symon's first three games in charge, then he never played again.
He returned to Morton, but again it shows no League appearances for Morton!

He did make 13 League appearances for Stirling Albion in the 55-56 season.
He retired from the game in 1956, and worked for the Singer Sewing Machine Company in Malaysia, Japan, and Singapore. While in the East the lure of the football field attracted him back to playing for a Singapore Select side and the Kuala Lumpur club Belangor, before returning to the United Kingdom in 1964.

In his four years at Ibrox, Liddell made 53 appearances, scoring 12 goals.

Jonas Thern, what a player when fit. Destroyed the Jambos is at Ibrox, pure class. Another one finished by injury.

alan mcgregors debut?

this was a weekend?

2008, kenny deuchar season?
think he was top scorer against us maybe scoring in every game.

1979 - another painful away defeat in the run in Away defeats cost us big time then. Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Celtic and Hibs

Took him a while to recover if i remember correctly dont think he played much again that season.

A ridiculous mix up with our defence and goalie for their goal. Thern with a great finish for ours.

What a moment when the 'winner' went in :)
1998 - that was another sore one that season. The draw, the manner of the performance and our defence being uncharacteristically all over the place was very worrying. The Durie injury was a blow - he missed the next 4 games in which we lost one, drew one and won two).

I still looks at the final table for that season and think about all those draws that Rangers had previously turned into scrappy wins. In reality the team was miles off the pace of previous years but we were a couple of draws being turned into wins away from winning that title.

2011 - I remember watching that at home and seeing my brother in law pop up on the TV after Edu’s goal. Bearing in mind that I was projecting it on to the wall then it wasn’t a pretty picture :oops:

1998 - that was another sore one that season. The draw, the manner of the performance and our defence being uncharacteristically all over the place was very worrying. The Durie injury was a blow - he missed the next 4 games in which we lost one, drew one and won two).

I still looks at the final table for that season and think about all those draws that Rangers had previously turned into scrappy wins. In reality the team was miles off the pace of previous years but we were a couple of draws being turned into wins away from winning that title.

2011 - I remember watching that at home and seeing my brother in law pop up on the TV after Edu’s goal. Bearing in mind that I was projecting it on to the wall then it wasn’t a pretty picture :oops:

Still annoys me to this day. See when the mutants go on about 'handing is the title' and 'Lennon has blown it' I just chuckle, given our record so far. The year those pricks 'stopped us' from winning 10, they only actually won 5 of their final 11 league games. We also beat them 3 times to their 1 that season with 1draw.

We genuinely did throw it away that season. Some dreadful performances with a ridiculous 5 at the back system. Managed to get up for it against them but the rest was a disaster.

Back