On This Day (June 9th)

Sam English

1928 - Pittsburgh 0 Rangers 9 (McPhail 3,Marshall 2,Morton 2,Fleming,Craig) - Friendly (8,000)
1930 - Victoria West 1 Rangers 8 (Smith 3,Marshall 2,McPhail,Morton,Nicholson) - Friendly (5,000)
1962 - Dinamo Kiev 1 Rangers 1 (Brand) - Friendly (60,000)
1984 - New Zealand 0 Rangers 3 (McDonald,McPherson,I.Ferguson) - Friendly (Played In Auckland) (6,000)
1989 - Admiral were unveiled as the new kit suppliers, due to take over from Umbro when that contract was due to expire the following year. The club said the agreement was worth over £4m over a four-year term, although the relationship only lasted until 1992 when Adidas took over. The news of the cash injection came just a day after a seven-figure deal to sign Trevor Steven from Everton was engineered, highlighting the need for fresh sources of funding.

1989 - I have by and large liked all Rangers kits but the Admiral ones were God awful. It was shell suits instead of normal tracksuits at the time and they went purple after they were washed

1962 - that game was a really big deal for a lot of us back then. I remember the Evening Times printing the half time score in their 'stop press' section. No Internet or satellite tv in those days.

Back