On This Day (May 11th)

Sam English

1878 - C & FC Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 2 (Untraced) - Friendly (2,000)
1887 - Uddingston 1 Rangers 4 (McKenzie 2,Lawrie,Campbell) - Friendly
1896 - Partick Thistle 2 Rangers 2 (Turnbull,T.Miller) - Friendly
1897 - Rangers 4 (Low,J.McPherson,J.Miller,A.Smith) Celtic 1 - Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup Semi-Final (Played at Hampden Park) (20,000)
1901 - Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 2 (Sharp,R.C.Hamilton) - Friendly
1903 - Dundee 0 Rangers 2 (A.Smith,Speedie) - Inter-City League
1904 - Falkirk 3 Rangers 6 (Stark,Speedie,Untraced) - Friendly
1907 - Arbroath 2 Rangers 3 (Untraced) - Friendly
1908 - St.Mirren 1 Rangers 5 (Untraced) - Friendly
1918 - Partick Thistle 2 Rangers 0 - Glasgow Merchants'Charity Cup 1st Round (Played at Celtic Park) (16,000)
1929 - Rangers 4 (Muirhead 2,Dr.Marshall) Celtic 2 - Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup Final (25,288)
1946 - Aberdeen 3 Rangers 2 (J.Duncanson,Thornton) - Southern League Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (135,000)
Rangers were holders of the Southern League Cup when they travelled to Hampden for the final against Aberdeen,where a crowd of 135,000 were treated to a thrilling clash.Rangers were also making progress in the Victory Cup,having reached the quarter-final stage thus far and destined for the final
1950 - Staevnet 0 Rangers 2 (Findlay,Thornton) - Friendly (20,000)
1960 - Rangers 2 (Millar,Brand) Partick Thistle 0 - Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (8,296)
This was the 32nd and last time Rangers won the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup,for after one more season the competition was abandoned due to lack of interest among the clubs who had previously taken part
1963 - Rangers 1 (Brand) Third Lanark 0 - Scottish League Division One (34,000)
1985 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish Premier Division (7,149)
1987 - Israeli Olympic XI 3 Rangers 2 (N.Woods,McCoist) - Friendly (Played in Tel Aviv) (20,000)
1991 - Rangers 2 (Hateley 2) Aberdeen 0 - Scottish Premier Division (37,652)
Rangers faced Aberdeen on the last day of the season with the clubs neck and neck in the title race.Rangers needed to win,whilst a draw would have been sufficient for Aberdeen by virtue of their superior goal difference.Two gaols from Mark Hateley were enough to give Rangers their third consecutive title,their 41st Championship.For Hateley it was to prove the making of his career at Ibrox,for he had taken time to settle and had not always enjoyed the full backing of the support.All that changed after his double strike
2003 - Rangers 4 (Mols 2,Arveladze,Caniggia) Kilmarnock 0 - Scottish Premier League (49,035)

2003 - What a game. I was only 10 and was just really getting into football. I used to watch Old Firms and Cup Finals but switch off for the rest. This run in had me hooked.

2003 - we were astonishing in that game. Can't believe it finished only 4-0. de Boer alone should have had 4. Not many 4-0 games you leave unhappy at the scoreline.

Stephen Hughes made an appearance and was great. What a few weeks that was.

2003 - Rangers 4 (Mols 2,Arveladze,Caniggia) Kilmarnock 0 - Scottish Premier League (49,035)
Jefferies post match comments was funny as %^*& as you would say, we played well for the first 5 seconds lol

Arveladze goal was stunning but we should and could of went double figures
sat in broomloan that day

1991 - Went to that game never fearing we would get a result. Got absolutely hammered that night as between celebrating that and also Bannockburn Amateurs winning the Scottish Cup there was a helluva lot of celebratory beverages on the go.

1991 - the single most important game of 9IAR?
I would say so; Walter had just taken over and my heart had been in my mouth the whole run in. I was in the family section with my two kids and after one of the best performances I'd ever seen we watched the celebrations and I knew my children would be Rangers supporters for life. So far so good.

I would say so; Walter had just taken over and my heart had been in my mouth the whole run in. I was in the family section with my two kids and after one of the best performances I'd ever seen we watched the celebrations and I knew my children would be Rangers supporters for life. So far so good.

Excellent mate. Great memories.

1991 - I could not get a ticket. There were actually guys standing outside the entrance of the subway at Copland Road offering up to ÂŁ200 for a ticket. Although I was not there it is a game and day that I will never forget.

1991 - One of the greatest days. I can be spotted jumping about like a daftie in an Admiral training top in the Copland after Hateley's first. Bumped into Jock Wallace as he was coming out of the Main Stand after the game.
Remember a story in an old FF about the bin bag being thrown off a Sheep bus at the Broomloan end. It burst open and was full of t-shirts with "Aberdeen Premier League Champions 1991" on them :D:D:D

1991 was a Rangers team who simply refused to lose. Key players missing, others not fit but playing, injuries during the game and several ending up playing out of position.

But will to win, pride in the jersey, a great manager, and some bloody good players saw Rangers put the sheep in their place, and you could argue they never have recovered.

1987 - Israeli Olympic XI 3 Rangers 2 (N.Woods,McCoist) - Friendly (Played in Tel Aviv) (20,000)

What was the deal with this game? I have no memory of it at all.

Back