On This Day (November 25th)

Sam English

1876 - Rangers 0 Queen's Park 1 - Friendly
1882 - Third Lanark RV 3 Rangers 0 - Friendly
1893 - Rangers 8
(Boyd 3,J.McPherson 2,H,McCreadie 2,Kerr) Cowlairs 0 - Scottish Cup 1st Round (5,000)
1899 - Rangers 4 (J.McPherson 2,R.C.Hamilton,Robertson) St.Bernard's 3 - Scottish League Division One (5,000)
1905 - Rangers 1 (R.C.Hamilton) Morton 2 - Scottish League Division One (4,000)
1911 - Rangers 7 (Reid 4,Hogg,Bowie,Goodwin) Hamilton Accies 0 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1916 - Raith Rovers 1 Rangers 4 (R.Archibald 2,Riddell,Bennett) - Scottish League Division One (5,000)
1922 - St.Mirren 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (30,000)
1925 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 2 (Cunningham 2 1Pen) - Scottish League Division One (8,000)
1933 - Rangers 3 (McPhail 2,J.Smith) Falkirk 1 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1939 - Rangers 2 (Thornton,Venters) Dumbarton 1 - Regional League Western Division (8,000)
1944 - Rangers 4 (J.Smith 2,Waddell,Young Pen) Falkirk 0 - Southern League (18,000)
1950 - Falkirk 1 Rangers 1 (Thornton) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1958 - Rangers 3 (Murray,Hubbard Pen,Brand) Grasshoppers 0 - Friendly (35,000)
1961 - Dundee United 2 Rangers 3 (Caldow Pen,Greig,Murray) - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1967 - Rangers 2 (Greig Pen,Willoughby) Hibernian 0 - Scottish League Division One (55,000)
1970 - Hibernian 3 Rangers 2 (Johmstone,Stein) - Scottish League Division One (18,770)
1972 - Rangers 3 (Young,Conn,Parlane) Dumbarton 1 - Scottish League Division One (14,500)
1978 - Rangers 3 (Johnstone,Cooper,Smith) Morton 0 - Scottish Premier Division (21,500)
1989 - Rangers 3 (Johnston,Butcher,McCoist) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - Scottish Premier Division (39,131)
At the end of the game the 39,131 crowd gave the departing Ray Wilkins a standing ovation,the likes of which had seldom been seen in the grand old stadium. In the two years since his arrival,Ray Wilkins had confirmed himself as one of the most outstanding midfield talents in the game and was widely believed to have been the finest player in his position seen in a Rangers shirt.He was leaving Rangers to join London's Queen's Park Rangers,where he would become manager.
1990 - Celtic 1 Rangers 2 (Johnston,McCoist) - Scottish Premier Division (52,565)
1992 - Rangers 2 (McSwegan,Hateley) Marseille 2 - European Champions League Group A (41,624)
Rangers' reward for beating Leeds United in the second round was entry into the mini-League alongside Marseille,CSKA Moscow and Bruges. Rangers' first match brought them up against the side that would ultimately go on to win the cup (although they were found guilty of match fixing and subsequently stripped of their French title,relegated to the second division and banned from defending their European title the following season),with the French club more than worth their 2-2 draw at Ibrox. Indeed,Rangers were hit by injuries,unable to play more than three of their foreigners (which included the English players) and mightly relieved to have salvaged something from the game.
1994 - Rangers 1 (McCoist) Aberdeen 0 - Scottish Premier Division (45,072)
1995 - Hibernian 1 Rangers 4 (McCoist,C.Miller,Durie,Dods OG) - Scottish Premier Division (13,558)
1999 - Rangers 2 (Kohler OG,Rod Wallace) Borussia Dortmund 0 - UEFA Cup 3rd Round 1st Leg (49,268)
2001 - Celtic 2 Rangers 1 (Lovenkrands) - Scottish Premier League (59,609)
2004 - Rangers 3 (Novo,Arveladze,Namouchi) Grazer AK 0 - UEFA Cup Group F (46,453)
2013 - Arbroath 0 Rangers 3 (Daly, Clark, Donaldson OG,) - Scottish League One (3,912)

What a night 1999 was. Was certain we had done enough to qualify.

Sure it was a half 8 kick off or something.

1992 I still wonder what might have been if we could have played Marseilles twice and had McCoist and Hateley both playing.
Ally missed the first one injured, Hateley the second one suspended.

1990 Steve Fulton, also known as Baggio, still has nightmares seeing Terry Hurlock hurtling towards him!
Paul Elliott scored for them, probably tells folk now it was a hat trick in front of 20,000 away fans wearing Ku Klux Klan outfits :cool:

1992 - what a comeback.

Set the tone for the rest of the campaign.

I mind they had a player called pele who missed an absolute sitter at the end.

Last edited:
1994 - IIRC only the second time that season that McCoist and Hateley started up front together and in both games one of them went off injured (Hateley went off with an ankle injury in this game that kept him out a month. Previously Ally went off injured with a pulled hamstring v Motherwell on the opening day of the season)

This game was the very last game we saw Hateley at the peak of his powers in a Rangers jersey. He'd return on Boxing Day v Hibs, score and then go off injured at half time. He was never the same player again.

1994 - IIRC only the second time that season that McCoist and Hateley started up front together and in both games one of them went off injured (Hateley went off with an ankle injury in this game that kept him out a month. Previously Ally went off injured with a pulled hamstring v Motherwell on the opening day of the season)

This game was the very last game we saw Hateley at the peak of his powers in a Rangers jersey. He'd return on Boxing Day v Hibs, score and then go off injured at half time. He was never the same player again.

As an aside i always thought the way he left us (a few games into the season) was a bit weird. Was just so out of the blue.

Prob reading way too much into it but i felt maybe something happened behind the scenes.

I accept i may be talking bollocks!

As an aside i always thought the way he left us (a few games into the season) was a bit weird. Was just so out of the blue.

Prob reading way too much into it but i felt maybe something happened behind the scenes.

There were rumours doing the rounds he had fallen foul of gangsters but aye, he started both Famagusta games up front on his tod(so he was clearly viewed as still the number 1 striker at the club) and then as you say signed for QPR (to replace Les Ferdinand) out of nowhere.

1992. Mother of all comebacks.
For the vast majority of the game those pesky Frogs were far superior. Could easily have been 4 or 5. But that team really did Fight 'till the Day was Done.

There were rumours doing the rounds he had fallen foul of gangsters but aye, he started both Famagusta games up front on his tod(so he was clearly viewed as still the number 1 striker at the club) and then as you say signed for QPR (to replace Les Ferdinand) out of nowhere.

I mind reading paul ferris's book and he said a rangers player had been banging a gangsters daughter and when he realised he was gonna get done in said player left Ibrox sharpish.

Gave me flashbacks to hateley leaving!

Again, this is all rumour and 2nd hand stories of course.

1989 - Rangers 3 (Johnston,Butcher,McCoist) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - Scottish Premier Division (39,131)

The fog was horrendous that game.
I was in the main stand and only knew we scored when there was a roar.

Fairwell to the gentlemen that was Mr Wilkins, an emotional moment when he left the field for everyone in attendance.

"Ray Ray Super Ray" was the chant as he was substituted and walked off the pitch.

Last edited:
1992 - Rangers 2 (McSwegan,Hateley) Marseille 2 - European Champions League Group A (41,624)

Chucked it down with rain, that was the 1st game I can remember when we stopped using the traditional goal stanchions.

There were a lot of rumors at the time why he left Ibrox which were not Football related.

1911 - Rangers 7 (Reid 4,Hogg,Bowie,Goodwin) Hamilton Accies 0 - Scottish League Division One (12,000)

Jimmy Bowie scores in a rout of Hamilton Accies

Back