Once again, woeful and naive defending - it needs to stop.

Keep the back door firmly closed. That is what we are supposed to do. Leaving two centre halves back (one of which is as slow as a carthorse) against quick players is poor management. They have been guilty of it in several big games this season and it continues to happen.

Park the bus at 1-0 down? We're Rangers FFS.

Nothing to do with the defence they were outstanding and the goal was offside. If you are looking for scapegoats look at the other end of the park,they cost us the game.

Thats right. I posted last night that the performance data from the last 10 domestic games had us with more shots on target than them and that showed today in a big way. But our defence only allowed them only 1 shot on target (though Johnston miss was criminal) which was excellent.

It is one crumb of comfort we can take from this disaster.

Calling out a defence for playing an offside trap (and actually doing it well) when that is what every sane team does and what coaching manuals tell you to do - hold a line - is either infantile stupidity or perverse confirmation bias looking for a scapegoat.

Take your pic.

The linesman massively screwed us. That’s not something any defence can legislate against and for someone here to say ‘don’t play the offside trap’ - where is the double facepalm emoji?

Jeezus, I can't believe some of the shite on here! I used to post fairly frequently years ago under a different name, then copped a ban for a fairly innocuous comment. Since I came back, I've hardly posted because, well, I can't really be bothered getting into online arguments with people who don't think before they post. I really don't understand those criticising the defence - which admittedly, has been dodgy on occasions, but not today - which did it's job. One more thing that no one seems to have mentioned here or on TV about the penalty. Foster is way off his line well before the kick is taken. Why are the officials not watching this and taking action? The kick should have been ordered to be retaken. Today was a huge disappointment, but we will recover from it.

Should be an easy decision from the Linesman with it being a set piece and being able to look along the line and see the players movement and give a easy offside decision. That being said stay with the player your marking and don't leave it to any official as they are prone to mistakes

Despite their goal being offside, our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned.

Someone on the touchline should've been instructing one of the backs to stay back to cover the centre halves in case of a breakaway. We did the same thing against Young Boys and again against Feyenoord. That is inexcusable.

When we pass up so many chances to score it almost feels inevitable that it wasn't going to be our day. Morelos missing the spot kick more or less confirmed it.

Gerrard and co have a job on trying to lift it for Thursday night. We as fans need to do our bitand back the players and not get as edgy and quiet as we did
get a grip

In all fairness our inability to finish cost us the game along with a massive tad of help from the ref. We only conceded 1 goal and in fact there was very few attempts on goal from them at all. The one goal they got and shot on target was offside.

Our defence have been dodgy as %^*& at times but weren't to blame today. Other than Goldson having a head like a 50p coin.

Despite their goal being offside, our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned.

Someone on the touchline should've been instructing one of the backs to stay back to cover the centre halves in case of a breakaway. We did the same thing against Young Boys and again against Feyenoord. That is inexcusable.

When we pass up so many chances to score it almost feels inevitable that it wasn't going to be our day. Morelos missing the spot kick more or less confirmed it.

Gerrard and co have a job on trying to lift it for Thursday night. We as fans need to do our bitand back the players and not get as edgy and quiet as we did today.

WATP
Why the %^*& is it poor defending?
They held the line, the filth was offside, job done.
Only difference the lino fucked up
As a whole we defended really well

Sorry m8, i'm not having that today. Their goal was clearly offside. Its that simple. Other than one other chance, the mentally challengeds didnt get a sniff today

SG said that despite the goal being offside, it should have been defended better.
The ball comes over, our entire defence is under it by some way and it is kicked in at ground level without challenge. Think on that, ground level, without challenge.

So they were never dangerous according to statistics then. A very over-simplified view to take.

I also watched the game. They had 2 chances, one offside which they scored from, and one they missed when we pushed forward looking for an equaliser. How that boils down to defensive errors in your mind I don't know.

Gerrard and co have a job on trying to lift it for Thursday night. We as fans need to do our bitand back the players and not get as edgy and quiet as we did today.

WATP
They had one shot on target, it was offside, what more are you wanting from them. Of course we are going to push for an equaliser and possibly leave ourselves open , was it not our mistake that led to that break rather than anything from them?

I thought we were quite solid today apart from the Pikey Johnson chance when we were caught on the break.
Truth is they were poor and a missed opportunity for us

WATP

For real????

The defence continues to gift chances. Does no one recognise this?
Well the officials don't have any problem with gifting chances, even if there are 3 players offside.

Don't matter how good you defend, if officials don't do their job properly, results like today are going to happen.

For real????
The defending for the goal was pitiful. The manager has said that it was poor also. But every smart arse on here has twisted it as my saying the defending was pitiful throughout the match and that I've scapegoated players which is well, well, wide of the mark.

The defending for the goal was pitiful. The manager has said that it was poor also. But every smart arse on here has twisted it as my saying the defending was pitiful throughout the match and that I've scapegoated players which is well, well, wide of the mark.

Mate, your post to start the thread talks about defending in the game as a whole. To quote you: "our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned."

I'll talk about the goal only.

How do you defend a player in an offside position?
Watch it back again mate. Helander ball watches and allows Julien to run off him. But the defending in general at the goal was piss poor. Balls played into the box in the air aren't defended anywhere near as good as they should be. A centre half shouldn't be running in at the back stick as easily as he did even if it was offside. Obviously it was a poor decision by the officials, but the defence shouldn't be trusting to the officials to get it right every time. You have to err on the side of caution and be safer than sorry by doing your job properly.

Every one of our back line is guilty of ball watching in my opinion. If we want to secure silverware we need to cut it out going forward. In games against better quality opposition this season (i.e. Them and in Europe) our frailties have been exposed. Statistics against Premier League jobbers will skew people's opinions of how well they are performing. The defence has improved this season, that's a given. But it needs to get better and tighten up to get us to where we want and need to be.

Mate, your post to start the thread talks about defending in the game as a whole. To quote you: "our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned."
Where does it say 'the game as a whole'? You and others are reading that into it.

WATP

Absolute nonsense. Go to yer bed for christ sake

Ffs, I never said the defence cost us the game.
...your inference is exactly opposite. Quote: 'our defending for the goal cost us today'. The goal was offside. And if our strikers and midfielders were on song, it would've been 5-1. Every team will give up a few chances.

Watch it back again mate. Helander ball watches and allows Julien to run off him. But the defending in general at the goal was piss poor. Balls played into the box in the air aren't defended anywhere near as good as they should be. A centre half shouldn't be running in at the back stick as easily as he did even if it was offside. Obviously it was a poor decision by the officials, but the defence shouldn't be trusting to the officials to get it right every time. You have to err on the side of caution and be safer than sorry by doing your job properly.

Every one of our back line is guilty of ball watching in my opinion. If we want to secure silverware we need to cut it out going forward. In games against better quality opposition this season (i.e. Them and in Europe) our frailties have been exposed. Statistics against Premier League jobbers will skew people's opinions of how well they are performing. The defence has improved this season, that's a given. But it needs to get better and tighten up to get us to where we want and need to be.

I'm very guilty of it myself, you're posting drunk (i hope).

If 3 players are offside, you can't defend them.

FFS I give up. When did we display this 'gung ho' attitude if not for the game as a whole?
You give up? Ffs mate, I give up. You said I talk about defending in the game as a whole. I say where does it say that and then you say 'gung ho for the game as a whole' Make up your mind.

For clarity, I said and inferred that the defending at the goal was poor. I also said that the defending was naive by leaving two centre halves regularly isolated by not having a back in position to cover as was displayed by the Johnston chance.

They played to a different set of rules to us at the goal – nothing we can do.

If you give the attacking teams a 1-2yard headstart at every cross/corner, I can guarantee you there would be a lot more goals.

...your inference is exactly opposite. Quote: 'our defending for the goal cost us today'. The goal was offside. And if our strikers and midfielders were on song, it would've been 5-1. Every team will give up a few chances.
Show me where I say 'our defending for the goal cost us today'.

WATP
They didn't manage a legitimate shot on target in the whole game. Can you explain to me how that is woeful and naive please?

I'm very guilty of it myself, you're posting drunk (i hope).

If 3 players are offside, you can't defend them.
I'm certainly not drunk. Just because a passage of play is flagged offside doesn't mean that it has not been defended poorly. Or can you not see that?

Back