Once again, woeful and naive defending - it needs to stop.

I'm certainly not drunk. Just because a passage of play is flagged offside doesn't mean that it has not been defended poorly. Or can you not see that?

Can you not see that playing an offside trap is actually good defending and we were fucked over by an incompetent / cheating linesman who didn't see that our "woeful and naive" defence had actually caught FUCKING THREE OF THEM OFFSIDE?

I'm certainly not drunk. Just because a passage of play is flagged offside doesn't mean that it has not been defended poorly. Or can you not see that?

Mate, how do you defend a player that is offside without playing him onside?

Please. give up on this one.

Despite their goal being offside, our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned.

Someone on the touchline should've been instructing one of the backs to stay back to cover the centre halves in case of a breakaway. We did the same thing against Young Boys and again against Feyenoord. That is inexcusable.

When we pass up so many chances to score it almost feels inevitable that it wasn't going to be our day. Morelos missing the spot kick more or less confirmed it.

Gerrard and co have a job on trying to lift it for Thursday night. We as fans need to do our bitand back the players and not get as edgy and quiet as we did today.

WATP
Just like I said on another thread - when we lose, the default position of many of our support is to blame ourselves, no matter what the circumstances which today, I would suggest, were somewhat unique and deserving of cutting our team a bit of slack. But then some people are never happy unless critising.

They didn't manage a legitimate shot on target in the whole game. Can you explain to me how that is woeful and naive please?
Do you agree that Helander is slow? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you do. Would you leave two defenders back (Goldson and Helander) and commit everyone else forward chasing an equaliser and not think that leaving yourself open to a counter attack in such a manner is not naive defending?

We have been caught out like this on several occasions this season. The only difference was that today, they got away with it largely in part to Johnston's missed chance.

In 90 mins we gave up 1 chance. Even then we were chasing the game. Get to bed mate. Seriously, you're talking crap.
You think what you want pal but good defences and good defenders don't gift chances and they don't continue to make the same mistakes.

How about by winning the ball in the air?

How about working out that if all 3 Tims had stayed onside, the ball pretty much 100% wouldn’t have landed at Big Julies feet like that?

Every team plays a line and defends the box. Our guys actually held the line very well, played 3 of them off, exactly what they should be doing. Criticism of that is either naive or perverse.

Seriously, google “confirmation bias”. This thread reeks of it.

Wee question did any of our players appeal for offside? Or like the penalty incident on Wednesday could nobody be bothered

Just like I said on another thread - when we lose, the default position of many of our support is to blame ourselves, no matter what the circumstances which today, I would suggest, were somewhat unique and deserving of cutting our team a bit of slack. But then some people are never happy unless critising.
I agree mate. The point of my comments were constructive criticism re defending, acknowledging that it wasn't to be when our sharpshooter fluffs his lines and that we need to help the lads get back on track on Thursday night.

How about working out that if all 3 Tims had stayed onside, the ball pretty much 100% wouldn’t have landed at Big Julies feet like that?

Every team plays a line and defends the box. Our guys actually held the line very well, played 3 of them off, exactly what they should be doing. Criticism of that is either naive or perverse.

Ten out of ten for patronising mate.

I'll take the manager's 'confirmation' that we defended poorly for the goal as small comfort as opposed to some of the naysayers chipping their quids worth in. But thanks anyway for the heads up.

Ten out of ten for patronising mate.

I'll take the manager's 'confirmation' that we defended poorly for the goal as small comfort as opposed to some of the naysayers chipping their quids worth in. But thanks anyway for the heads up.

Because quite frankly that’s what you deserve. If you’ve never watched every team on the planet hold a line and play for the offside, I’m at a loss.

It’s not even a close offside decision, the linesman has 3 to pick from. It’s a complete joke, not bad defending and if you don’t get it... then that’s up to you

SG criticised it.

Despite their goal being offside, our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned.

Someone on the touchline should've been instructing one of the backs to stay back to cover the centre halves in case of a breakaway. We did the same thing against Young Boys and again against Feyenoord. That is inexcusable.

When we pass up so many chances to score it almost feels inevitable that it wasn't going to be our day. Morelos missing the spot kick more or less confirmed it.

Gerrard and co have a job on trying to lift it for Thursday night. We as fans need to do our bitand back the players and not get as edgy and quiet as we did today.

WATP
That’s Tavienier at his best, it’s all about attack.

SG criticised it.

I honestly haven’t seen or heard what he said about it but given that he made little or no comment at all about the goal in his other reaction I wonder how much of it he’d seen at that stage. Because the still image proves it’s a classic offside trap... on multiple players. It’s an absolute beauty of one! Failed by the “incompetence” of a linesman missing the equivalent of an own goal

You think what you want pal but good defences and good defenders don't gift chances and they don't continue to make the same mistakes.
Really? Great defences don't give chances away at all? Really? I remember us having chances against Barca in the camp nou and against brilliant Man United teams...

WATP
I never comment on anything but get a fukin grip. We concede 1 shot on goal the whole game it was offside. The defence the day wasn't the problem.

WATP
Is this the cup final you’re posting about?
The game where our defence restricted the opposition to one shot on target and one other 100% opportunity?
Okay, right you are.

You are the idiot pal. If you took the care to read what I posted, naive defending is charging up field and leaving two centre halves back. But you carry on and throw about the insults.
It’s what you do when you’re one down and chasing the game.
More so a one-off cup game.
You know, like Walter’s team did in a final around 09/10.
Broadfoot was sent off in the game.

Ffs, I never said the defence cost us the game.
Perhaps you haven’t typed those words but, and I don’t get this bit either, you’ve posted that the errors made, like matching the run at the goal, cost us the goal, which cost us the game.
Therego, the defence cost us the game.
By the way, part of the defence, part of defending a set piece from that area, is to allow the attackers to move into an offside position.
We did this, so job done.
You never, well I was never taught it, defend based on “the officials might not do their jobs properly”.

I'm not blaming the defence for the defeat. What I am saying is chasing an equaliser and leaving two slow centre halves back to cover a breakaway is naive defending.

Also, when a centre half runs unopposed at the back post to sidefoot a ball into the net, whether he should've been flagged offside or not, is woeful defending. He should be covered. Hellander was posted missing. People who don't think that constructive criticism is valid are burying their heads in the sand.

It was a fucking cup final and we were behind, of course we are going to chase an equaliser and take risks Captain Hindsight.

The defending for the goal was pitiful. The manager has said that it was poor also. But every smart arse on here has twisted it as my saying the defending was pitiful throughout the match and that I've scapegoated players which is well, well, wide of the mark.

Well Gerrard is just as wrong as you are.

WATP
Maybe you should do just that, instead of branding them pitiful.

Agreed.

Hellander let Julien run off him. It shouldn't be happening as easily as it has on too many occasions of late.
Ye defend these set-pieces like you would defend yer goal at a corner kick ..goalside of yer man and defend your fkn goal !!!! Julian had not one of us close enough to even put a challenge in !!! Its fkn pathetic defending against a piss-poor Celtic team on the day !

Ye defend these set-pieces like you would defend yer goal at a corner kick ..goalside of yer man and defend your fkn goal !!!! Julian had not one of us close enough to even put a challenge in !!! Its fkn pathetic defending against a piss-poor Celtic team on the day !

He was fucking offside what are you rabbling about, if Helander was goalside he wouldn't have been offside, Helander did his job the linesman didn't.

You can't be offside from a corner for fucks sake, so of course you defend it differently.

This is the most stupid thing I've ever read,

Last edited:
Actually, you don’t.
Also, you do not track an attacker who has ran into an offside position.
You don’t do it in open play either.
You let them run.

WATP
Ask admin to change your heading mate

Remove defending and change it to officiating

Cheated again

Reactions: TNT
I’m not, sadly, this place is littered with people who don’t have a solitary clue about the game they’re supposed to love.

Going to come across a prick here but I don't care. It's the norm on this place after a loss or a draw. Bigger the game the more clueless the criticism tends to be. You get the guys who play too much FM and think they understand the game better cause of an AI simulation. Then you've got the guys who operate solely on raw emotion and who want a sacrificial lamb even if there is not one to be had.

We conceded 1 goal today - it was off-side
George Graham would have been proud of that defending today.

Apart from the other effort on the break put wide, they never looked like doing anything against our back 4!

Reactions: Gee

WATP
our defence were excellent and in no way to blame for the result. For their goal we defended it perfectly we held our line to a man and got done by a corrupt linesman it was blatant and he knew it and saw it but his bias kicked in and he fails to flag. What I want to know is who picks the officials for these games ? Fleming is no longer with us so who has repacked him? All 4 officials yesterday were Celtic minded our club need to ask serious questions I won’t hold my breath though

The one criticism that can be levelled kn regard to their "goal" was the needless foul in the build up

The one criticism that can be levelled kn regard to their "goal" was the needless foul in the build up
Nope. I guarantee that to a man, woman and boy every Rangers supporter would be screaming for someone to go through Edouard when he came on.

Blaming the defence for today is utterly mental. Absolutely a sign of not having a clue. They had two shots, only one on target. We controlled the game very well and never really looked in danger. Personally thought Barisic had a great game.

Agreed. Suckered into the challenge.

I've criticised the defence recently but you cannot blame them for executing a perfect offside line at that free kick and the linesman's failure to spot it.

That's not on them. That's on the officials.

Woeful and naive defending?

Nonsense. The defence did their jobs.

It is not an unreasonable position to expect the referee and linesmen to do their jobs properly. They only had the 3 players to notice who were offside before the ball was kicked and who were the intended targets of the ball. The defence held their line as they should have.

Agreed. Suckered into the challenge.

I've criticised the defence recently but you cannot blame them for executing a perfect offside line at that free kick and the linesman's failure to spot it.

That's not on them. That's on the officials.

The guy wasn’t fit I would take the chance to go through him 40 yards from goal. Also I seem to remember a lot of wailing last week wondering why our players didn’t dump the Feyenoord player on his arse 40 yards from goal. Conceding the foul gave our defence the time to organise which they did. The linesman didn’t do his job properly end of story.

Nope. I guarantee that to a man, woman and boy every Rangers supporter would be screaming for someone to go through Edouard when he came on.

100% agree with this. He looked like he didn't want to be on the park and we had to test his fitness.

Back