Open Goal Broomhill FC make Broadwood home

Status
Not open for further replies.
At its core Open Goal was supposed to be Si Ferry sitting down with footballers and managers and getting their stories.

His podcast with Ally McCoist was brilliant!

It turned into a vanity project when they started adding Slaney etc and just sitting talking shite to each other about shite.

It's shit now. Needs to go back to its original format.

Some of the early one on one interviews of ex Players from both sides were excellent. It’s probably been a victim of its own success and they’ve maybe felt a need to do more given how popular it became. Slaney is far too involved now they are never going to bin him unfortunately

I watched an interview with Si Ferry earlier today.

He seems to think that a lot of folk who watch his podcast/attend Hydro shows are about to start supporting this team.

Personally, I'm not so sure.

He seems to think that a lot of folk who watch his podcast/attend Hydro shows are about to start supporting this team.

Most of the fans that go to that will already follow football and be going to see their own clubs :D

Think they are looking to play their games on Friday night so will be hoping fans of other clubs might try and get along then. I think they’ll maybe good crowds at first but the novelty will wear off soon

I actually think this could work.

I didn't think the podcast going to the Hydro would work but was amazed with the crowds that went

How the %^*& can you call yourself a serious football club with a name like that. Caledonian Braves is another one I hate.

The Lowland League is full of these wank projects and it's clogging up and limiting opportunities for proper clubs that have real history from the likes of the Juniors from making the league better.
Very good point mate. Junior clubs have been around for over a century. This new plaything era for football is going to do lasting damage to the game, from top to bottom. The games losing it's way.

I actually enjoy the earlier rounds of the fa cup, it's a more honest game. Now when these small clubs get a big name, they basically have their reserve teams turning up.

Very good point mate. Junior clubs have been around for over a century. This new plaything era for football is going to do lasting damage to the game, from top to bottom. The games losing it's way.

I actually enjoy the earlier rounds of the fa cup, it's a more honest game. Now when these small clubs get a big name, they basically have their reserve teams turning up.
The Juniors resisted change for years. Finally they are getting their act together and progressing. Some of the work getting done at grounds with floodlights etc is great to see

What are the Broomhill supporters making of all of this?

Broomhill used to be BSC, they then decided to split (assume money was inolved) - so unless "fans" of BSC decided to follow Broomhill I don't think there is such a thing.

BSC have now bought land up in Knightswood (Peterson Park) - continuing the trend of having a team called Broomhill but not playing anywhere near the place!

Broomhill used to be BSC, they then decided to split (assume money was inolved) - so unless "fans" of BSC decided to follow Broomhill I don't think there is such a thing.

BSC have now bought land up in Knightswood (Peterson Park) - continuing the trend of having a team called Broomhill but not playing anywhere near the place!

BSC was initially born out of Broomhill Sports Club in the west end which ran youth teams up to a certain age then the players had nowhere to go, so they formed the Senior team and got a place in the Lowland League so the players from the youths would have a team to go on and play for.

The way it has worked out the Senior team just brought players in from other clubs in the Lowland or junior teams instead of progressing youngsters through the youth club hence the split. BSC became Broomhill FC which is now Open Goal Broomhill and BSC have effectively started a new senior club for their youth club players to progress to.

I don’t think either club really has any fans to be honest

BSC was initially born out of Broomhill Sports Club in the west end which ran youth teams up to a certain age then the players had nowhere to go, so they formed the Senior team and got a place in the Lowland League so the players from the youths would have a team to go on and play for.

The way it has worked out the Senior team just brought players in from other clubs in the Lowland or junior teams instead of progressing youngsters through the youth club hence the split. BSC became Broomhill FC which is now Open Goal Broomhill and BSC have effectively started a new senior club for their youth club players to progress to.

I don’t think either club really has any fans to be honest
Think he is kidding himself on if they will get anymore than 3-400 fans

Where is Broomhill?
If it’s the one next to Thornwood/Partick, I’d never heard of a team from there until last season.

Yes, that's the Broomhill in question.

The youth club trains on the red ash pitch across the road from Hyndland Secondary School.

I actually think this could work.

I didn't think the podcast going to the Hydro would work but was amazed with the crowds that went
Bit different going to the hydro for an entertainment event, than going to watch a shite football team managed by Si Ferry, probably have Slaney and Kevin Kyle kicking about in the background somewhere.

No chance are they getting anywhere near the same support.

Flop waiting to happen

Bit different going to the hydro for an entertainment event, than going to watch a shite football team managed by Si Ferry, probably have Slaney and Kevin Kyle kicking about in the background somewhere.

Flop waiting to happen
Hope they get hammered,hate all the tommy this n paolo that patter

I can’t see this being anything other than a failure.

I’d be amazed if they ever reach 4 figures in fanbase attending.

They’ll get a bump in viewers watching highlights on YouTube but that’s about it.

Seem a few Hibs fans say that the thumb is going to broomhill, "si" does love "griff" but what a fucking fall from grace B-D here for the 10 to the lowland league, next stop is the gutter.

Last edited:

Flop waiting to happen
I'm not against this to be honest. Scottish football is fcukin dire. Even the bottom 6 of the prem is so bad.

Like him or not, he's built a decent brand and open goal is worth a watch. It's completely different to all the crappy phone ins and that pls soccer (not sure of name) which I watched once and was like something from council tv in the 90s. He gets players to open up and actually talk about being in the dressing room, what they thought on the pitch, relationships with team mates/Managers.

I don't think overnight he's going to get thousands of people, but even getting a few hundred every week is better than league 2.

I'll bet as well he'll make it more of a day out for supporters and try to engage them, and also he's pretty much got a tv channel set up to talk about the team every week.

Scottish football needs more entertainment!!

£103 for a main stand season ticket.

They genuinely think they're going to be pulling in massive crowds...this is going to flop.
I highly doubt they believe they are going to pull in massive crowds. they have priced it accordingly and actually done some promotion for it. Something many clubs could learn from. Even if they sell 100 it’s probably 100 more season tickets than were sold last year.

£103 for a main stand season ticket.

They genuinely think they're going to be pulling in massive crowds...this is going to flop.
They're giving it a go, taking it as professionally and seriously as possible. Don't mind it at all. Positive for Scottish football I think.

You're always better off aiming too high than too low, thats why they sold out the Hydro twice.

They're giving it a go, taking it as professionally and seriously as possible. Don't mind it at all. Positive for Scottish football I think.

You're always better off aiming too high than too low, thats why they sold out the Hydro twice.
There's a bit of a difference between selling out the hydro, and asking people to come every other week - when I believe the core of their audience are likely Glasgow based and OF supporters.

Be a shock to the system when they realise people would rather watch Rangers or Celtic than give it up to watch them.

There's a bit of a difference between selling out the hydro, and asking people to come every other week - when I believe the core of their audience are likely Glasgow based and OF supporters.

Be a shock to the system when they realise people would rather watch Rangers or Celtic than give it up to watch them.
You're right, they should not sell tickets & accept no lady's front bottom will be there.

You're right, they should not sell tickets & accept no lady's front bottom will be there.
I'm not saying don't sell tickets, that'd be daft. Just the lines about selling out the hydro and thinking they're going to get huge backing for this project.

They'll probably do alright, but it'll wear off eventually, dwindle and be forgotten.

Seems a big jolly.

Aye mate I think you are right, they are expecting people to stop supporting Rangers and celtic (small c). People on this forum love to talk about Scottish football hating itself to death and most of the posts in here are a good example of it.

He has them playing at home on Friday nights I think to avoid that.

End of the day, it is someone trying something different.

If it fails, so be it, at least someone is trying a change.

He has them playing at home on Friday nights I think to avoid that.

End of the day, it is someone trying something different.

If it fails, so be it, at least someone is trying a change.
Actually forgot they'll be playing Friday nights. It just seems all a bit franchisey to me.

If it does well fair play to them, sure the B team will be playing them next season.

Recipe for disaster, surely. Si Ferry having to manage Paul Slane and then do a podcast him as mates twice per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back