Our recent record vs Celtic

LoyalRanger_72

2 wins out of 13, 1 being a total dead rubber under Michael Beale and the other being in extra time under Giovanni Van Bronckhorst at Hampden.

How do we change this especially heading to the piggery on May 11th and of course that massive Scottish Cup Final on May 25th? It’s clearly a massive mental block. Does it require personnel change? An extra man in midfield? Maybe even both? Tav looks genuinely petrified at the thought of a headless chicken like Maeda coming at him especially off the ball and that seems to set the tone in these games just now.

Maeda looks to be out thankfully (for Tav).

I'm sure we will find another to shite ourselves though.

Midfield as usual will be key. And needless to say, taking our chances when they come as this Celtic side will give us chances.

We’ve had players in this squad that have completely shat their pants against them

By same context the same set had a hold over them at one point too

Gerrard treated them with utter contempt at one point never felt as confident. Plain to see though we need key players in key areas for this

Our last 20 games v them.

8 wins
8 defeats
4 draws

As mentioned play an actual midfield with midfielders, play players in their positions.

Celtic play us like a fiddle, 3 man midfield, two wingers told to stay wide just run all day, a 9 through the middle, all playing off our mistakes, and against them we make plenty.

Our last two wins

Jack Lundstram, Raskin, - Jack Lundstram Ramsay

Our last 3 draws

Diomande Lundstram Lawrence - Tillman, Lundstram, Kamara
Lundstram Davis Arfield

Sterling has played LB twice LW once 2 defeats and a draw
Cantwell 5 starts in “midfield” 4 defeats and a win.

Last edited:
Maeda looks to be out thankfully (for Tav).

I'm sure we will find another to shite ourselves though.

Midfield as usual will be key. And needless to say, taking our chances when they come as this Celtic side will give us chances.
Celtic have lied and turns out he’s back for the Old Firm’s.

Although hardly surprising, that club are notorious for lies and secrets…

It doesn’t help starting at -1 in 3 of the last 5 or so, due to compliant officials.
Having said that the logical prediction is that we will be overrun by half time at the piggery.
I would want Diomande and Sterling in the middle for tthat one. Turn it around and get in their faces.
Hopefully we go there no further behind.

Pressing, intensity, aggression....up the ante with all of these things.

Aye, we'll be susceptible to counter attacks but that's fine because we will carve open chances against them. They do not like getting pressurised during a game and the scum support will quickly turn on them if we go ahead.

For a start controlled aggression, be switched on and be a bit more streetwise. Believe in ourselves and take chances when they come our way. They are a decent team but it seems to me we show far too much respect.

If the last OF is anything to go by then the next one could be an absolute free for all fking anything could happen.
Both sides are massively flawed. If by some miracle we could actually get the first goal for a change, or at the very least not concede early ourselves then we might be on to something this time.

It's a shambles of a run we've had against them but it's got to end some time. Surely. All games this season have been close.

Would start the game, first 20 mins with a back four and 2 sitting in front. We can all see even now, they will come out all guns blazing to get ahead, and they have us where they need us. Need to nullify them in the early stages (where we inevitably cough up a ridiculous goal), and then gradually move out and impose ourselves, rather than start playing at 2-0 down.

Two things that always stand out for me are the control of the midfield (or lack of from us) and coming out of the tunnel like a fart in a trance with them coming out all guns blazing.

Plenty of games in recent times where they’ve battered us in the first half and we haven’t got going until the second, at which point it’s too late.

Need to start from the first whistle at the Piggery and get in their faces. Get the first goal and make the crowd turn on them. The key will be having Yilmaz which allows us to beef up the midfield with Sterling and a fit Sima.

Would start the game, first 20 mins with a back four and 2 sitting in front. We can all see even now, they will come out all guns blazing to get ahead, and they have us where they need us. Need to nullify them in the early stages (where we inevitably cough up a ridiculous goal), and then gradually move out and impose ourselves, rather than start playing at 2-0 down.
I think gradually moving out is exactly what’s killed us in recent games against us. Need to impose ourselves immediately and be proactive rather than hoping they don’t score.

It helps if your captain isn’t so, I’ll be democratic and use the term “uncomfortable”, of a Japanese jobber that runs about a lot. Also helps if your midfield nullify their main threat. We never learn, so we will continue to struggle until the players change.
The semi where we beat them Kyogo was injured and Maeda had to play through the middle so he wasn’t running about causing chaos down his side. For me the differences were clear as day. Tavernier can’t play against Maeda and it makes the entire team dysfunctional in these games. It’s actually embarrassing how much of an impact he has on games against us.

We showed in the last game that when we're committed to putting them on the back foot and attacking them, they have as hard a time keeping us out as we seem to do them. So I'd like to see us be proactive early doors and get after them because it is us that need a win from this game. Just can't be gung ho because they've got players that can damage us on the break. Fine balance really.

I think gradually moving out is exactly what’s killed us in recent games against us. Need to impose ourselves immediately and be proactive rather than hoping they don’t score.
Ideally, i agree. However the body of evidence suggests we will be under the cosh from them in the early stages, Its what they`ve always done. And its what they`ll do this time. To me the key is not to concede early. And thats why i`d be trying to plug gaps in our defence to prevent the space and the silly goals. Just my take. Don`t think i could watch another rabbit in the headlights start and them going ahead.

Hope for a miracle in the next two games, then get shot of the ones who continually shit the bed against them in the summer.

Overly simple perhaps but one of our biggest problems in these games is not having a striker capable of hurting them. In those 13 games OP has mentioned I think I'm right in saying that only four forwards have managed goals against them - Kent, Sakala x 2, Sima and Matondo - none of those are strikers either.

Compare and contrast Furuhashi, Jota, Abada for them. In a close game a striker with the mentality and experience to get a goal at the big moment is key. It's no coincidence that when we won 3 in a row under Walter we had Kenny Miller consistently scoring in those games. We absolutely need a player who can do this if we want to turn the tide.

It seems the longer it goes on, the more ridiculous the goals we gift them become.

If we stop giving them a goal or 2 of a start then the longer it stays 0-0, or even with us taking the lead, who knows how the pressure of that would affect them.

As has been said, we need to beat them in at least 1 of these 2 games. Lose them both and there will be little confidence going into next season.

Brain farts leading to gifted goals have become almost expected against them. That MUST stop and simply comes down to cutting out unforced individual errors.

Secondly, the midfield battle is what edges these game. We went to Parkhead and lost 2-1 - we played a large chunk with 10 men and still deserved a draw. We were applying ourselves well in that game with Sterling in CM.

We need to get players into a rhythmn, win our next 2 and when we go to Parkhead, it's win or bust so must go toe to toe with them in a high pressure high energy manner.

Lack of quality upfront. We've scored higher xG in most of they games, even the defeats.

And before da's start crying at me using xG, the point is we've had the chances to put them away & fluffed our lines, they take any half-chance going.

Overly simple perhaps but one of our biggest problems in these games is not having a striker capable of hurting them. In those 13 games OP has mentioned I think I'm right in saying that only four forwards have managed goals against them - Kent, Sakala x 2, Sima and Matondo - none of those are strikers either.

Compare and contrast Furuhashi, Jota, Abada for them. In a close game a striker with the mentality and experience to get a goal at the big moment is key. It's no coincidence that when we won 3 in a row under Walter we had Kenny Miller consistently scoring in those games. We absolutely need a player who can do this if we want to turn the tide.
Morelos scored against them at Hampden. He would’ve had two also if it wasn’t for that cheating bastard Clancy at Parkhead.

Being able to pass a baw 5 yards to a team m8 will help.. not sure if there's a place that let's you hire some balls cause most of them don't have a set ..

It’s perhaps not easy on the eye, but I think we should play a longer ball, and pressure them quickly in their own half if we fail to pick it up. Get at them fast and hard. We have real pace in Sima and Matondo, use it !!

Sterling on McGregor, drop Goldson and Cantwell.

Butland
Tav Souttar Balogun Yilmaz
Lundstram Diomande
Sterling
McCausland Dessers Sima

Our last 20 games v them.

8 wins
8 defeats
4 draws

As mentioned play an actual midfield with midfielders, play players in their positions.

Celtic play us like a fiddle, 3 man midfield, two wingers told to stay wide just run all day, a 9 through the middle, all playing off our mistakes, and against them we make plenty.

Our last two wins

Jack Lundstram, Raskin, - Jack Lundstram Ramsay

Our last 3 draws

Diomande Lundstram Lawrence - Tillman, Lundstram, Kamara
Lundstram Davis Arfield

Sterling has played LB twice LW once 2 defeats and a draw
Cantwell 5 starts in “midfield” 4 defeats and a draw.
It really is a shame that Jack is always injured. A fit Jack, changes things.

When you look back at the period where Gerrard had them on toast, the clear difference between then and now is the midfield as others identify - specifically our ability to press.

There were games against them where no matter who had the ball, three of our players were suddenly hounding them and forcing them into errors again and again.

It feels like we suddenly became much more passive against them with Gio and nothing has changed since.

5-4-1 from the start, Souttar just ahead Goldson and Balogun, also adds more height for corners etc. Souttar can drift left or right to cover fullbacks. Our midfield can push onto a press. First half needs to be tight as the gifting them ahead start has become a joke.

The simple answer I'm afraid is better players, especially in midfield. It's no coincidence we've hardly beaten them since Gerrard had Jack, Davis and Kamara in there and playing at their best. Now it's them who have the superior players in that area.

It's got to be a 3 man midfield at the piggery and 2 of them need to be Sterling and Diomande. 4-2-3-1 won't work.

Back