Our worst transfers ever?

The Flo shouts are laughable, honestly.

Yes he wasn't a great signing and everyone clings to the £12m price. But then those same people conveniently forget we sold him for £7.5m so the total outlay in transfer fees was only £4.5m.

Now, had we only bought him for £4.5m initially, I seriously doubt anyone would be saying he was our worst ever signing. A Norwegian international who scored 38 goals in 70 games for £4.5m? Aye what a shocker.
We lost 4.5m for very little return. No wonder we were in such a mess financially

There a lots of names on this thread that should be nowhere near it.

We sign lots of players on frees or low fees and lots of them fail. They’re often punts and are offset by the frees and low fees that come in and become valuable players.

Others come in for big money, don’t work out and we manage to get rid for a decent fee.

The real candidates for this title are the ones that real money was spent and lost on.

Konterman
Ball
Pena
Rozenthal

I notice nobody’s mentioned a midfielder we took a £4m hit on - Mikel Arteta

they had signed him and hasselbanik in th esummer. In reality the yused the 6m they paid for Sutton to get gudjohnsen
For me what made the Flo transfer worse was Chelsea replaced him with Eidur Gudjohnsen from Bolton for £4.5M

Senderos is a physical and a moral coward.
Barton came off a great season and I think he thought he’d stroll it which obviously he never.
Bruno Alves for me only turned up when he wanted to
Ramsey was a disaster all in
re-signing Kris Boyd
Dragan Mladenovic is up there with one of the most bizarre signings i’ll ever see
Jerome Bonnisel same as Mladenovic

Not even sure how that makes sense! He wasn’t value for money, but with a very respectable goal return he was never a disaster either.
He wasn't a disaster but Flo was one of the best strikers in world football when we signed him and the team was designed around feeding him.

Should have been a 30+ goal a season striker in the SPL and scoring important European goals, disappointment over his time with us is justified imo.

That list make me sad, how we signed some of them is nuts. Who watched these guys before we signed them and thought it would be a great idea.
The one that stands out on that list based on your point is Ostenstad
Michael Ball.

Cost over £6.5m, barely kicked a ball for us then we let him go for nothing.

Think he remains the biggest single loss we’ve ever made on a player.

More recently, Carlos Peña.

£2.7m at a time when we were still struggling to make ends meet after the ravages of liquidation and the litany of charlatans and crooks with their snouts in the trough was just insane, especially so when the warning signs were so glaring.
he also say on the bench for a few games when we could have used him but didn’t want to pay an appearance fee clause to Everton.

Michael Ball.

Cost over £6.5m, barely kicked a ball for us then we let him go for nothing.

Think he remains the biggest single loss we’ve ever made on a player.

More recently, Carlos Peña.

£2.7m at a time when we were still struggling to make ends meet after the ravages of liquidation and the litany of charlatans and crooks with their snouts in the trough was just insane, especially so when the warning signs were so glaring.
The fact the club trusted PC with that sort of money so soon showed pure incompetence on their part.

There a lots of names on this thread that should be nowhere near it.

We sign lots of players on frees or low fees and lots of them fail. They’re often punts and are offset by the frees and low fees that come in and become valuable players.

Others come in for big money, don’t work out and we manage to get rid for a decent fee.

The real candidates for this title are the ones that real money was spent and lost on.

Konterman
Ball
Pena
Rozenthal

I notice nobody’s mentioned a midfielder we took a £4m hit on - Mikel Arteta
Arteta? You’ve surely got to be kidding? He was excellent for us and worth every penny. Ultimately he decided he wanted to go and went to Sociedad but it sure we didn’t take that much of a hit.

Arteta? You’ve surely got to be kidding? He was excellent for us and worth every penny. Ultimately he decided he wanted to go and went to Sociedad but it sure we didn’t take that much of a hit.
We bought him for £5.8m and sold him for around £2m.

He had about 10-15 excellent games.

Don’t be confused by the Arteta of Everton and Arsenal, we got a young guy learning lessons in British football and it cost us a fortune for the privilege.

He also drove the price down by acting like a bit of a dick to force a move.

I always say that any list of worst ever rangers signings will be 50% Big Eck signings.

Thankfully he also signed some crackers too to offset it
McLeish and Bain should’ve been locked in a room with no communication devices for the last 3 days of every transfer window.

That was usually when the magic happened.

He wasn't a disaster but Flo was one of the best strikers in world football when we signed him and the team was designed around feeding him.

Should have been a 30+ goal a season striker in the SPL and scoring important European goals, disappointment over his time with us is justified imo.
Not sure I’d agree that the team was designed around feeding him… his impact at Chelsea came more often from getting the ball at his feet and running into the box.
He might have been a very tall man but that didn’t make his a deadly header of the ball… he was bang average with his head.

It takes a serious lack of professionalism, but as much as I love him it really felt like Ally was a bit of David Brent type boss who wanted to be liked more than anything else and so created this piss poor holiday camp vibe at Auchenhowie.
He had no business being manager of RFC.

This was my first thought too, but I don't remember the details of his signing very well. Was it pretty well known that he was crocked?

If it was a £4m gamble on his recovery then that puts it very close to, if not top, of the list.

If it was bad luck, that's maybe a different thing, my second thought was Peña given how unfit he was to begin with, how much he cost, and how the manager must have known at the time that he was a liability. There's probably a lot of recency bias there though.

According to this, we didn't do a medical and the documents we were given were false. Total shit show all round.

See if they didn't cost a penny and were brought in when we were desperate & scrapping the barrel then they can't possibly be our worst ever signing.

Example
Maniero was washed up when he signed , he was worth a punt since he was a decent level player a few years before. Didn't work and he left at little expense.

For me a real bad signing is one the doesn't contribute a great amount on the pitch but cost a lot of money with bonus points if it's at a time when we didn't have money to waste

The former I would give you Prodan and Ball big fees & wages with minimal contribution.

The latter would be the like of James Beattie and Dragan Mladlenovic. At around 1.5m a piece they weren't out biggest signings but they were big fees in the particular window. Beattie coming off the back of 2 frugal years and we spend 7 figures on a washed up diddy.

Ramsey has to be up there. Given the expectations that he was here to secure the title and the reputation he came with the return was nothing short of shocking.

13 appearances totalling 632 minutes means his appearances averaged 45 mins per game.

2 goals and 2 assists gives him a goal contribution every 158 minutes, worse than the much maligned Sakala who had a goal contribution every 115 mins.

Then to top it off missing the crucial penalty in Seville.

The obsession over Ramsey is so weird. A guy who was here for 14 weeks.

Why doesn’t anyone have the same disdain for Diallo? Who coincidentally, has a goals contribution every 166 minutes.

The emotional hysteria over him is beyond sad. Like a crazy ex-girlfriend.

Why doesn’t anyone have the same disdain for Diallo? Who coincidentally, has a goals contribution every 166 minutes.

I don't have any disdain for Ramsey, just pointing out he was an awful signing. The difference between the two is one is a kid making his way and the other a seasoned pro who played at the highest level therefore the expectations were different.

It’s bizarre but some of the other names mentioned in this thread are even more wild. Some people love to talk utter shite.

Emilson Cribari summed up our shambolic transfer strategy in the third division.

‘Experienced’ Brazilian centre-back looking completely lost against part-timers. Torn to shreds at Tannadice. I’d hate to know what we were paying him.

Completely unnecessary. Was never going to work.
I was going to post the same

Lazio paid 5m+ for him at one point

I remember watching him warm up and thinking he was abs lost and football wasn’t his first sport

How anyone can say Ramsey on a loan was worse than Michael Ball is beyond me. Ramsey is nowhere near the worst, infact he's probably not even the worst signing of the last few years.

I don't have any disdain for Ramsey, just pointing out he was an awful signing. The difference between the two is one is a kid making his way and the other a seasoned pro who played at the highest level therefore the expectations were different.
How can you possibly think he was a worse signing than £7m off for Michael Ball, a few million for Pena, another couple million on Herrera. It's just an absolute nonsense to be quite honest.

Joey Barton on the basis off all the verbal he was given it about being able to play up here in his sleep only to then let Scott Brown rip the utter piss out of him.

Arsehole of a guy. Hope he and his coffee machine are happy together!!!
Oh no! You've reminded me of Jordan Rossiter and Graham Dorrans

Back