Paul Mcstay Paul Mcstay, what’s it like to be in jail

Oft repeated/paraphrased but this is still my favourite from the time.

Paul McStay and Ally McCoist were out on the randan in the town. After some beers and a curry they found themselves at West Campbell Street where they happened upon a lady of the night.

The bold Paul asks the lady "how much is it for a w*nk?"

The lady replies "£10".

Ally then asks "and how much is it for a superstar?"

What was the story with Mo Johnstone and stolen trackies when with them? I vaguely remember being at Dens and a few around us singing 'Mo, Mo, Guilty Mo'

The story I remember is McStay was blotto in Hamilton with a few pals and was getting shoved down the street in a shopping trolley.

They got pulled up by plod, a few words were exchanged and McStay did an overnighter and got a fine for breach of the peace.

That was the word on the street in Hamilton back in the day.
Spot on that is what happened, he had been in the Rococo club and got drunk with his pals, they found a shopping trolley on the way to the taxi rank, Paul got in to the trolley and was being pushed by his mate when the police stopped them and ordered Paul out of the trolley, words were exchanged and both Paul and his mate got lifted.

A few months after it I was in Marks and Sparks with the Mrs and lo and behold there is the bold Paul.
I passed the comment you better stay away from the shopping trolleys and give him his due he laughed.
I still don't know if that was the real reason or if it was a rumour.

Laughing off a wee slagging sounds like him to be honest.

It is a true story. McStay wasn’t and probably still isn’t a knob. Never anywhere near the manic depraved mind of a Doyle or a Grant.

This was a mild misdemeanour. Daft boyness at most.

Not like the tims or Scottish media to bum up a Celtic player.

He wasn't too bad at times but not as good as they wanted anyone to believe

He was a worthy foe and if we are honest he was probably held back by one of the worst Sellik squads of the modern era.

Rated very highly by Souness who shared the Scotland midfield with him throughout the 1986 WC qualifying campaign.

i2snpl.jpg

Once got pushed down renfield st in a trolley. I was wearing a white shirt. The bastards pushing hit a kerb and i went flying, my concern was keeping clean but alas, one sleeve was bogging. Ah well back to Paisley to a club where i knew the bouncers so got in. :)

Glavin’s sports shop was in EK (next to Salmon Leap in Calderwood Sq). He was a bluenose as a boy, he was also involved in a mystery fire before this when his mobile shop (grocery van) went on fire whilst he was a Partick player.

He was found not guilty.

I’m positive Glavins Sports shop was in the Murray Square mate.

I remember that. It must have been mid to late 80s, it was a Friday night he got huckled as he was in Jilts in Hamilton.

the one Iremember was Davie Hay, he'd slapped a paperboy on the head and we played them at the piggery the next night, the Bears gave rousing renditions of "Davie Hay, Davie Hay, Whats it like to hit wee boys".

To be fair, it’s a shade better than raping them.

Anyone remember mcstay had got lifted and we played them straight after it.

I was telling a guy at work yesterday but I was unclear what happened and when.
Anyone remember mcstay had got lifted and we played them straight after it.

I was telling a guy at work yesterday but I was unclear what happened and when.
Too the sound of what tune was the song sung?

I was at all the days in those days and cannot mind this one.

Do remember the missed a penalty one though.. That went on until the day he retired.

I remember singing it at a semi final at Hampden - I thought it was stolen goods he got caught either with or trying to sell.

I don’t think it was for theft but I think you are right about it being at Hampden.

There were large gaps in the scum end that day and another chant was

Sell aw yer tickets
You could nae sell aw yer tickets.

That might have been a different game mind you!

I’m not as young as I used to be

Tell us more? :D
Was the late 70s, he was sold by the mentally challengeds not long after it,think he went to barnsley.

I remember it was splashed all over the front page of the daily record, changed days,now the rancid record cover up everything that happens at that club.

Back