Photo of Offside Goal

Doesn't excuse our failure to put the ball in their net which should be our only concern tonight.
I agree, we should have scored, however that can't be our only concern. We have lost the game to a goal that was well offside & we have been denied 1, possibly 2, stonewall penalties, one game after being denied another stonewall penalty, and seeing our opponents keep 11 men on the park after numerous booking offences.

That lot is a major concern - the harm being done to us by these "honest" mistakes is absolutely horrendous.

Demand an apology and a replay. And Collum to referee in the juniors for eternity.

Not defending the linesman in the slightest but under the current offside laws the player is only offside when he touches the ball.
Today the linesman had so many mentally challengeds in a offside position ( but were not offside because they never touched the ball so he couldnt have flagged them) he could not see the mentally challenged who scored.
Under the old laws what would have happened was as soon as the freekick was taken the flag would have went up

Seriously?

That single decision won them a cup today.

A dead ball situation like that for a linesman is the one time they should never get it wrong, new rules or old rules.

He was probably scared to give it, which is the result of that lot causing strikes and the never ending witch hunt when 1 decision goes against them.

Things don't even themselves out in this godforsaken hellhole of a football nation.

If we have learned anything over the last while it should be this.

Doesn't excuse our failure to put the ball in their net which should be our only concern tonight.
No, it doesn’t but in all fairness, if you’re getting something the rules state you shouldn’t be getting, its got to be taken into consideration.
This wasn’t the third goal in a rout, it was the first goal and changed the whole structure of the game.

There is no question that it shouldn’t have been a goal however we could have been playing all night and not scored. Mentality is definitely an issue. How many free kicks and corners did we deliver into the box and did nothing.
Maybe true but, by the same token, when would septic have scored?

There is no question that it shouldn’t have been a goal however we could have been playing all night and not scored. Mentality is definitely an issue. How many free kicks and corners did we deliver into the box and did nothing.
I can’t go along with this mentality or lack of, idea.
Surely if this was a problem, we wouldn’t have played so well.

The scorer was the one closest to him, so not really that difficult.
Yes, this all day.
It should have actually been an easier decision for him given where he was positioned in relation to the goalscorer.
The poster making the point about the rule change has totally picked the wrong example to make his point.

It doesn’t matter about officials it’s us that are rubbish and we don’t deserve anything. Steven Gerrard should be sacked and we should get rid of all the players and start again.

Im just paraphrasing some of the garbage I’ve read on here tonight. We were actually robbed by incompetent officials for the second time in a week and we need to start making a fuss like others have done if we want an even break.

As bad a decision I’ve ever seen in terms of a linesman not raising his flag for offside.

Basically the official-looking at the penalty kick either doesn't know the rules or was determined to ignore them.
Officials shouldn't be the talking point, but sadly in Scotland, they simply struggle not to be.

Unfortunately, they are only the talking point on here. It will be swept under the carpet in the mhedia tomorrow.

On the odd occasion that we get a decision you can guarantee that the bint from BT Sport will say to a Rangers player or manager at full time, "TV replays showed that your goal was offside" or "tv replays showed that there should have been a free-kick in the lead up to your goal" or "tv replays showed that you should have had a penalty against you."

Yet today, not a word. The bint never mentioned any of the controversial decisions to any of that lot. Nothing about the goal being offside, nothing about the penalty should have been retaken, nothing about the 2 other penalties that we should have had.

Within 2 mins of the game finishing, it had all been wiped from history.

It doesn’t matter about officials it’s us that are rubbish and we don’t deserve anything. Steven Gerrard should be sacked and we should get rid of all the players and start again.

Im just paraphrasing some of the garbage I’ve read on here tonight. We were actually robbed by incompetent officials for the second time in a week and we need to start making a fuss like others have done if we want an even break.

the gooner?

you'll know all about rubbish right now

F*cking scandalous.

EDIT: Another version for those who aren't seeing the first image:

This is going to be a very unpopular opinion. And it did look as if they were offside. But - the above still shows the ball already off the ground. The ball is in play when the tim touches it with his foot. A split second before but enough for those players to take a half step, meaning they may have been onside when the ball was actually played. We would need to see the frame(s) immediately prior to this. I believe that from the above it is impossible to define whether they were actually offside or not. And as a result I can understand why it wasn’t given. This is trying to take the emotion out of it and just my opinion.

This is going to be a very unpopular opinion. And it did look as if they were offside. But - the above still shows the ball already off the ground. The ball is in play when the tim touches it with his foot. A split second before but enough for those players to take a half step, meaning they may have been onside when the ball was actually played. We would need to see the frame(s) immediately prior to this. I believe that from the above it is impossible to define whether they were actually offside or not. And as a result I can understand why it wasn’t given. This is trying to take the emotion out of it and just my opinion.

Of course it’s going to be unpopular because it is bollocks. Go find some moving footage of the incident. They are offside, all 3 of them. I’ve yet to hear anyone (bar you), even their lickspittles in the media, question that fact.

Yea mate, was saying on another thread that Helander plays him on. Camera angle doesn’t show him as Jullien is blocking him out.

Must admit I never spotted that at all. It’s still tough to see exactly where Helander is, he could still be fractionally behind the scorer. In saying that, it looks like there’s also a fair chance he’s played him on.
Somebody at last putting the video before emotion. This btw doesn’t take all blame off ref; we should of had another penalty in second half

Mate he’s onside. Here’s another video of it. We’ve only got ourselves to blame today.

What I see is a hand circled in that Twitter post. Even if the hand is Helander‘s then his hand cannot be considered to be playing the opponent onside, since the hands and arms are discounted in making the decision. The relevant body parts capable of scoring a goal that are nearest our goals all belong to Dhims and @BenTheTim can GTF.

The simplest fact is that Julian was never onside prior to the free kick being taken

Should have been an automatic raising of the flag there.

All 3 were offside prior to free kick being took. There really isn't any excuse for the linesman not getting that call correct

Must admit I never spotted that at all. It’s still tough to see exactly where Helander is, he could still be fractionally behind the scorer. In saying that, it looks like there’s also a fair chance he’s played him on.

Glad you confirmed it.............not so bright.

It’s one video. Glad to see everyone has calmed down from the game. Think the lounge will be getting visited until after Thursday

It’s one video clip, posted by a raving Dhim, that is actually factually incorrect in that it appears to be suggesting Helander‘s hand is playing him on. His hand cannot, as per the rules, be playing him on.

Jullien, and all the others, were offside.

What I see is a hand circled in that Twitter post. Even if the hand is Helander‘s then his hand cannot be considered to be playing the opponent onside, since the hands and arms are discounted in making the decision. The relevant body parts capable of scoring a goal that are nearest our goals all belong to Dhims and @BenTheTim can GTF.

I remember listening to this being debated on five live. The hands cannot score a goal and are discounted in offside. I don’t think that they are discounted in playing someone inside, as bizarre as it sounds.

It’s one video clip, posted by a raving Dhim, that is actually factually incorrect in that it appears to be suggesting Helander‘s hand is playing him on. His hand cannot, as per the rules, be playing him on.

Jullien, and all the others, were offside.

Had another look at it and you’re right. It’s obviously a much tighter call than I thought, but offside is offside at the end of the day.

I remember listening to this being debated on five live. The hands cannot score a goal and are discounted in offside. I don’t think that they are discounted in playing someone inside, as bizarre as it sounds.

You may have heard what you think you heard because the pundits, in general, are clueless on the rules. If you didn’t read it, here’s what the rule says, note it’s ALL players:

“The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered”

Not sure about the keeper being off the line as it would go on his back foot which is only an inch or so away. As the ball has already moved then it is difficult to say if it was on the line at the time of contact. The same decision was on MOTD 2 and the keepers foot was touching the line.

You may have heard what you think you heard because the pundits, in general, are clueless on the rules. If you didn’t read it, here’s what the rule says, note it’s ALL players:

“The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered”
Correct. But that’s in reference to a player being offside. Not a player being onside. It’s late and maybe I’m not reading it right bud.

Correct. But that’s in reference to a player being offside. Not a player being onside. It’s late and maybe I’m not reading it right bud.

The fact it refers to ALL players and includes the reference to goalkeepers makes it clear it really is ALL players, both defending and attacking.

To be fair, I think I heard the discussion you refer to as well but it’s not supported by what’s actually in the rules.

Back