Pierreluigi Collina

I never understood the "love" for him. He was ( IMHO) a rascist cheat. He sent Paul Ince off in Italy when, at a corner, Ince was stood with his hands on his hips. The keeper ( maybe Buffon, but I can't remember) threw himself on the ground with his hands on his face. Collina races over and red cards Ince. He couldn't have seen anything to warrant any card, except to the keeper fo simulation. As far as I am aware he has never even apologized or acknowledged his "error", he seemed to get a lot of his reputation just for looking scary.
Come in one niner, one niner. You’re talking pish, over.

thats-racist-kid.gif

Yes mate, it was sarcasm, the ease at which people call someone a racist these days is frightening

With regards to Rowbotham, he started off as a fairly decent referee then was hounded for supposedly failing to send Gascoigne off during a game against Aberdeen,

He was never at the same level again afterwards.

Baldy Rowbotham!

Sent off Gazza at Parkhead after he and Morten Weighorst clashed, the correct outcome for which should have been a yellow card for each player. However, he gave Gazza a straight red, and wouldn't even give Weighorst a yellow, as he had been booked earlier, and would have had to walk.

In many folk's minds that decision was a pivotal moment in our bid for TIAR.
It was a terrible decision.
It was pivotal.
It was also delinquent in its malevolence.
That referee knew what he was doing was wrong but also had the confidence that he would get away with it safe from scrutiny.
He did.

With regards to Rowbotham, he started off as a fairly decent referee then was hounded for supposedly failing to send Gascoigne off during a game against Aberdeen,

He was never at the same level again afterwards.
I was about to post the same Craigie, the press and media absolutely slaughtered him for not sending gazza off. He was a complete pr1ck after that.

I know the Everton fans have a massive grudge against them for their play off CL tie against Villarreal in 2004. Can’t recall if it was a disallowed goal or he allowed a goal for Villarreal in the last minute. They absolutely despise him.

The best ref ever cost Everton a place in the CL groups. Penalised big Dunc iirc for %^*& all and it was a horrendous decision

Baldy Rowbotham!

Sent off Gazza at Parkhead after he and Morten Weighorst clashed, the correct outcome for which should have been a yellow card for each player. However, he gave Gazza a straight red, and wouldn't even give Weighorst a yellow, as he had been booked earlier, and would have had to walk.

In many folk's minds that decision was a pivotal moment in our bid for TIAR.

Also failed to red card Stubbs for an assault on Negri. Stubbs equalised in injury time

I read his autobiography a few years ago, a decent read
Me too loved the bit where he describes the camaraderie of the Referee Association of Italy as ...' The brotherhood of the members and help and assistance is like being a Mason' or something similar, is good mates with Dallas.
Rowbotham was in charge when Gazza had been succesively fouled by Sheep players on a rotation basis and failed to book any , Gazza then 'head-butted Inglis in the stomach.

We used to have a Sottish referee that looked a bit Collina-ish. (in looks not ability)
Rowbotham, worked for General Accident, told my mate who was a colleague, that he'd never give Super Ally a penalty.

Needless to say my mate hated his guts.

Collina wasn't that great. His appearance was responsible for his reputation rather than his performance.

I was convinced he cheated us away to fenerbache. Seemed to give them every decision , but maybe my bias and alcohol has clouded my memory.

Pretty sure we protested his appointment as he had never referred a game in Turkey that the Turkish side had lost.

Wasn’t he eventually forced to retire because he done an advert for opel, then teams complained because opel sponsored Milan

I don't get it ... how the f*** did that attention seeking ar$**** get the credit from so many.

That stopping the game constantly and bolting into the position where the offence took place was his trademark look look look at me. He was on screen more than the players.

As mentioned above,

Rangers 4 PSV 1 Oct 20th 1999
Galatasaray 3 Rangers 2 Sep 27th 2000
Fenerbahce 2 Rangers 1 Aug 22nd 2001
Man U 3 Rangers 0 Nov 4th 2003
Denied us a pen late in that Fenerbahce game which would have seen us through I think .

Not sure I like him much tbh .

I never understood the "love" for him. He was ( IMHO) a rascist cheat. He sent Paul Ince off in Italy when, at a corner, Ince was stood with his hands on his hips. The keeper ( maybe Buffon, but I can't remember) threw himself on the ground with his hands on his face. Collina races over and red cards Ince. He couldn't have seen anything to warrant any card, except to the keeper fo simulation. As far as I am aware he has never even apologized or acknowledged his "error", he seemed to get a lot of his reputation just for looking scary.
Racist? Did he make a monkey gesture as Ince walked off?

Anyway, you couldn't be more wrong. Ince was sent off by Collina in a match against Sweden in 1998. It was two yellow cards, the second of which was for a foul on that well known white supremacist Henrik Larsson. You've had a nightmare there mate.

Last edited:
Racist? Did he make a monkey gesture as Ince walked off?

Anyway, you couldn't be more wrong. Ince was sent off by Collina in a match against Sweden in 1998. It was two yellow cards, the second of which was for a foul on that well known white supremacist Henrik Larsson. You've had a nightmare there mate.

Last edited:
Back