Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria

jprfc

I'm away on holiday next week to Gran Canaria, anyone been lately ? Looking for decent bar to watch the european and Betfred cup games. Last i heard the Highlander was closed.

I'm away on holiday next week to Gran Canaria, anyone been lately ? Looking for decent bar to watch the european and Betfred cup games. Last i heard the Highlander was closed.
Shithole in 1992. Don't imagine it's improved any, since then.

I’m sure it’s opened back up as The Thistle or something like that.

Could say the same about just about any holiday resort in the world, some will love it, some will hate it, actually been before ( 98 ) and i thought it was decent

Could say the same about just about any holiday resort in the world, some will love it, some will hate it, actually been before ( 98 ) and i thought it was decent
I'm a grumpy old c*nt. So probably I'm not the best for giving holiday advice to a young dude. :)

It's opened up again as The Thistle. They will have the games on.

I watched the St Joseph away game in a pub called extreemz which is up in the Europa centre.

It's ran by a spurs fan but he has a soft spot for the bears and hates the Tim's.
I'm going there in October this is good info as I'm right next to the europa.

I watched the St Joseph away game in a pub called extreemz which is up in the Europa centre.

It's ran by a spurs fan but he has a soft spot for the bears and hates the Tim's.

Was he telling you that as you were handing over the 50 euro note for a few pints lol

I've been to the Highlander, as it was called, a few times in recent years.
As the Highlander, decent wee place. Although, the outside part you're sitting choking in smoke from all the smokers for the full 90 minutes, and you get a few strange folk. Other than that, at least it's somewhere to watch the game. Atmosphere was decent in one of the European games I watched there last October, if I remember correctly the scoreline was a disappointing 0-0, good atmosphere before the game but quite flat throughout. All my visits there, rather unluckily have been marred by draws and defeats, with the exception of 4-1 Hamilton last year in which the atmosphere was bouncing with three goals in the 5 minute injury time.
Tims riddled everywhere else in Puerto Rico shopping centre but, notable by the large micky bastard pub right at the main entrance across from the McDonald's up the stairs.
I might be going in about two and a half weeks to it, albeit wonder what's different in 'The Thistle'.

It’s now called The Thistle and apparently they are showing all the Bears games.
I’m currently sitting in Edinburgh airport heading to Puerto Rico I’ll be in there for the European games and the spoonburners game.

It's open back up again under a new name mate (the Thistle) I think.

If you are up the top centre then there is another wee pub called the hideaway - I watched the Marseille game in there

I watched thst game in there too.

It's a good boozer at night, the boy who runs it has good patter.

I was also there in 98 and thought it was great, but I was only 14 I guess!

Just back a month or so ago.

Anyone "up the hill" then Extreemz is the place to go. Big Russell (Spurs fan) will see you ok. There is also the Hideaway bar that is owned by a bear but much smaller / quieter.

Down the hill the only decent option is the old Highlander (if it has re-opened).

Update.
It’s shut tonight but there’s a sign saying open at 11 tomorrow.
For a new bar I find it strange it can afford to close.
I’ll be heading up to the top centre for the games.

Russ is a great guy - defo a soft spot for the Gers...

I've been to the Highlander, as it was called, a few times in recent years.
As the Highlander, decent wee place. Although, the outside part you're sitting choking in smoke from all the smokers for the full 90 minutes, and you get a few strange folk. Other than that, at least it's somewhere to watch the game. Atmosphere was decent in one of the European games I watched there last October, if I remember correctly the scoreline was a disappointing 0-0, good atmosphere before the game but quite flat throughout. All my visits there, rather unluckily have been marred by draws and defeats, with the exception of 4-1 Hamilton last year in which the atmosphere was bouncing with three goals in the 5 minute injury time.
Tims riddled everywhere else in Puerto Rico shopping centre but, notable by the large micky bastard pub right at the main entrance across from the McDonald's up the stairs.
I might be going in about two and a half weeks to it, albeit wonder what's different in 'The Thistle'.
That pub in the shopping centre looked horrendous !!! Unfortunately its the 1st pub you see as you go into the centre, can't miss the big mentally challenged badge on the front. The Thistle was quiet most of the time,nothing to say its a Gers pub, if you didn't know it was.

That pub in the shopping centre looked horrendous !!! Unfortunately its the 1st pub you see as you go into the centre, can't miss the big mentally challenged badge on the front. The Thistle was quiet most of the time,nothing to say its a Gers pub, if you didn't know it was.

What a shame! Unfortunately my plans for going about now fell through, otherwise I'd be going today. But you are right, I've been going for years and that shopping centre is absolutely dreadful. They've built a new one behind it towards where the old waterpark was, called it 'The Market' but I don't think it'll catch on and we most certainly won't see the manky red one's demise any time soon, which they were still adding parts on well into the late 90's.
My idea of a holiday doesn't revolve around chilling at pubs all the time anyway, I'd only go to watch the games, but it is a shame to see The Thistle hasn't caught on.

Was there in like 2010 or there abouts and met a guy claiming to be big amoruso’s brother, and to be fair to the guy he had an Italian accent and looked fairly similar but the again he was working for a restaurant in central commercial so I still have my doubts.

Back