Rangers managers win rates

Very interesting!
Yes and no for me. Early ones had no European matches and all, or the vast majority of the players, were local. Ally has the best %age by a mile but majority was lower divisions and his record for the single top league season and his championship one in isolation would be one of the worst, not the best. Some of the middle ones had fledgling knockout European games, the league and 3 cups, later ones had group stage European games, 2 cups and more league games per season. I know we have a European trophy and numerous cups but these kind of stats are only really comparable if you focus solely on top flight league matches imo. That is ultimately what managers are judged on overall and the rankings would look considerably different if that was the barometer. Be more realistic to split them by competition.

As Craig Broon once said, statistics and Dam lies ( or something like that)

Ally had the "easy games" Dick had a blank chequebook, Souness started from literally nothing and Wallace second time around inherited possibly the worst squad in " recent " times.

Theres a story behind lots of this...

Reactions: krs
Yes and no for me. Early ones had no European matches and all, or the vast majority of the players, were local. Ally has the best %age by a mile but majority was lower divisions and his record for the single top league season and his championship one in isolation would be one of the worst, not the best. Some of the middle ones had fledgling knockout European games, the league and 3 cups, later ones had group stage European games, 2 cups and more league games per season. I know we have a European trophy and numerous cups but these kind of stats are only really comparable if you focus solely on top flight league matches imo. That is ultimately what managers are judged on overall and the rankings would look considerably different if that was the barometer. Be more realistic to split them by competition.
Would agree that the stats are somewhat skewed by the various factors that you cite. Using League figures only would undoubtedly give a fairer overview, however, even that method gives a slightly misleading picture as it takes no account of the competitiveness of the League at the time.

Based on purely League results the top 10 would be -

McCoist - 74.80%
Gerrard - 72.03%
GVB - 70.00%
McLeish - 69.77%
White - 68.92%
Advocaat - 68.75%
Smith - 67.48%
Wilton - 66.36%
Struth - 66.26%
Symon - 66.14%

Interesting to see how close managers of a similar time period actually are.

If you exclude McCoist due to his time in the lower leagues the two with the highest percentage are, in fact, two of the worst in terms of trophies which just goes to prove that, despite the stats, you are judged more on how you do against the competition of the time.

Note: not my stats - taken from another site.

Very interesting!

Is it though?

Is Ally McCoist our best ever manager by a country mile? Because that’s what it’s suggesting unless you reasearch behind the “numbers”

I think it’s just a slot filler in the rag to heap extra pressure on the board for sacking gio and extra pressure on Beale to get a FF and running well.

Given the inaccurate reporting in the DR, im surprised we would swallow these figures unchecked
It’s including the six CL doings which puts Gio’s down considerably and in general a sizeable portion of his matches were European games due to the deep run and CL qualifiers. His domestic win percentage and more importantly points per game rivals that of anyone on that list if not better than the majority, which I’ve posted about previously.

Last edited:
Win Rates is a rubbish stat

P10 W6 D0 L4 = 18 points Win Rate 60%

P10 W5 D5 L0 = 20 points Win Rate 50%

Which would you prefer?

It's often more about winning the right games than the win percentages.
For example, Davie White had a terrific record, but won nothing because he lost the crunch matches at the wrong time.

McLeish had two shocking seasons including a third place finish and still has a very good win %.

Shows how consistent he was in his two title winning seasons.

Back