Rangers memories: Follow, Follow, VHS, 1984

Rangerista

The new Super Cooper thread got me thinking as to how privileged today's Bears are. When our hero was in his prime you had to wait patiently for Scotsport or Sportscene to see our goals (just like every other club's fans) and then it was an ephemeral experience. We would often have to wait for a fleeting glance of a goal from last night's game on the news and if you missed it, then tough. Nowadays, and every goal Messi has ever scored for Barcelona is there to see, and I'm sure it's the same for Ronaldo and others too obscure to mention. Back in 1984 a video tape called Follow, Follow was produced and the cover was Cooper in his pomp. For the first time you could watch Rangers history unfold in your own living room and, to quote a well known phrase at the time, it was a sensation. I revelled in the black and white footage of my team scoring and winning games from decades before, and more so when it transitioned to colour like the 73 Centenary Cup Final. Today's Bears can't really appreciate the impact of that video and why should they when today Rangers are 24/7. But back then it was phenomenal. Nostalgia is everything they say it is!

John McClelland getting stripped and running out onto the hallowed turf
The board singing Gers songs on the way back to Ibrox with the League Cup
Aah the memories

Reactions: ao2
There’s a poster on the old board so put it on YouTube. I think he was called NeilstonGer.

Great video, watched it loads when I was a youngster.

Reactions: TQ3
I seem to remember it wasn't cheap (£30 I think) - worth every penny if you could afford it !

Oh and yes a have one in my collection.

Still have the video. Willie Waddell epitomised everything we were back then, if you listen to what he says in the video. Then we got David Murray and Rangers Football Club, our football club would never be the same again.

In so many ways. we lost everything that we were built upon under D/M and sadly we are still recovering, because of him..........

Best part of my childhood growing up in Scotland, was following The Rangers, the way we used too be.

Great video, great memories.

WATP.

I seem to remember it wasn't cheap (£30 I think) - worth every penny if you could afford it !

Oh and yes a have one in my collection.

£34.95 I think it cost as you say wasn't cheap since it was costly back then to produce these things, 2 years later or so it down to around £12/£13 a tape to purchase

Last edited:
The video was re_released around early 2000's. I have it autographed by Willie Henderson and the late Colin Jackson. They were signing copies in the superstore one Saturday I was over.

I think that was my second video (the first was the 86/87 Championship video, bought when we didn't even have a player lol. I had to play it at my sister's, and her man was from the dark side so wasn't best pleased!). I threw it out when I got a DVD player and I've always regretted not getting it converted over. Good to know it's now on YouTube.

Bob McPhail being allowed to give us his memories of the 1928 SC final and get the score wrong.

Basically sums up the club for all of my life. Couldn't give a toss about our history.

Not Mr McPhail's fault.

Bob McPhail being allowed to give us his memories of the 1928 SC final and get the score wrong.

Basically sums up the club for all of my life. Couldn't give a toss about our history.

Not Mr McPhail's fault.
There's quite a few Rangers books, endorsed by the club, that have quite a lot of errors in them.

I might have this lying about the house somewhere.

Does it have a silver cover? Or is that the awful stage play of the same name?

Back