Rangers tv

Tumbling_dice

As far as I know there isn't an official Rangers tv app. Is it not about time the club looked at releasing one and start advertising it more? It's not something I look at too much to be honest as I prefer using a tv for football. However when I do use it it is a great service except for the part you either have to use a computer or a phone.

I know there is ways to get it but its fiddly and a pain in the arse for the majority of people of a certain age that cant be arsed working out how to get it on the tv. I know there is ways to pay for the live games if you use a vpn but It wasn't until recently that I found out you could watch a full re run of every game played that day after midnight if you took out the yearly subscription.

Surely having a dedicated official Rangers tv app that you could install on all sorts of devices like smart tvs and firesticks would generate a lot more subscriptions as there will be plenty of people like me who would happily join up monthly or yearly to be able to watch it on a tv.

Depending on what pc / laptop and tele you have you could maybe connect to the tv wirelessly (if HDMI is not logistically easy) - might be easier.

I use RTV as I'm abroad and I agree with you 100%, it needs to brought up to date with an app and pushed a lot more as fans are desperate to give the club money.
Like you said an app would be ideal and in this day and age would not cost them much to build and maintain.
They could make an absolute fortune if folk used VPN's and paid directly to RTV --- * although I'm in no way saying that's what folk should do * :rolleyes:

Depending on what pc / laptop and tele you have you could maybe connect to the tv wirelessly (if HDMI is not logistically easy) - might be easier.

I use RTV as I'm abroad and I agree with you 100%, it needs to brought up to date with an app and pushed a lot more as fans are desperate to give the club money.
Like you said an app would be ideal and in this day and age would not cost them much to build and maintain.
They could make an absolute fortune if folk used VPN's and paid directly to RTV --- * although I'm in no way saying that's what folk should do * :rolleyes:

It's something they really should be doing. As I said most people have smart tvs these days that you can install apps easily. Even without the vpn and live games I would still subscribe 100% as I am sure many others would and pay the monthly or yearly subscription just to be able to watch the full game after 12 on a Saturday night without having to hook up pcs and things to the tv.

The fact they have games and highlights going back years is also a bonus as well as interviews. I miss the days of taping the game and watching it back whenever you like. The highlights we get on the normal tv is absolutely pish these days and would happily pay a subscription to Rangers tv and get rid of everything else as I am sure many others would.

TV connected to an old-ish laptop with OpenVPN and RangersTV is perfect wherever you may be. TVs and their Apps don't tend to like VPNs and mobiles can be geo-located due to their GPS chips. That said you can watch RangersTV on an iPad even though it says you can't (and you can install OpenVPN on the iPad too for those who like to be in a different country).

TV connected to an old-ish laptop with OpenVPN and RangersTV is perfect wherever you may be. TVs and their Apps don't tend to like VPNs and mobiles can be geo-located due to their GPS chips. That said you can watch RangersTV on an iPad even though it says you can't (and you can install OpenVPN on the iPad too for those who like to be in a different country).

I don't mean for being able to watch the games live. Just to be able to watch the full game after 12 as you can now but on a tv would ideal.

My generation is used to instant access to everything, so yes.

Nevermind an RTV app, how about you actually set the trend in Scotland for once and make...a Rangers app...rather than wait until everyone else does it. Crazy.

And yes, make the app 'The Rangers App' or something as simple and make the author Rangers Football Club.

You made an arse of the Twitter, website, Facebook and all the others, try to get something right online.

Don't make people need a ST to use it, don't make people fill out a Rangers number input, don't release it to a certain number of people. Just a normal app...look at the English teams, do what they do.

Can none of the RTV team code in the languages needed? Use phonegap and write the damn things in HTML and use AJAX requests to get pages.

To me at 20 it feels like there's an 80 year old in charge of our online media team.

Go out to any city in the Scotland...what does almost everyone have? A phone. That runs apps...and can stream RTV...or give you score notifications...or breaking news...or a club shop in one central place that's actually usable unlike the website.

It's something they really should be doing. As I said most people have smart tvs these days that you can install apps easily. Even without the vpn and live games I would still subscribe 100% as I am sure many others would and pay the monthly or yearly subscription just to be able to watch the full game after 12 on a Saturday night without having to hook up pcs and things to the tv.

The fact they have games and highlights going back years is also a bonus as well as interviews. I miss the days of taping the game and watching it back whenever you like. The highlights we get on the normal tv is absolutely pish these days and would happily pay a subscription to Rangers tv and get rid of everything else as I am sure many others would.
If it was a toss up between every Rangers game + good commentary for 17.50 a month (roughly) or 10/15quid a month for Mutton and Craigan on BT Sports, I know where my money goes :)

HDMI cable from my ipad or laptop and not had an issue for last 3 years or so with watching RTV on the big screen. Not exactly difficult to do ;)

HDMI cable from my ipad or laptop and not had an issue for last 3 years or so with watching RTV on the big screen. Not exactly difficult to do ;)

Agreed it's not too difficult to do but it is a pain in the arse plugging and unplugging things especially as someone said you use these for other things. Not everyone has access to ipads and things either especially older ones who barely know their way round a phone. The idea of just being able to turn your tv on and pressing the app just seems a look more easier. With amazon announcing they will be streaming games soon it's looking more and more likely that this is the way football is going to end up. To have a dedicated official Rangers app with a monthly subscription that they advertise better would be perfect.

If you have a smart tv then you just go to the browser and search for Rangers TV.

My generation is used to instant access to everything, so yes.

Nevermind an RTV app, how about you actually set the trend in Scotland for once and make...a Rangers app...rather than wait until everyone else does it. Crazy.

And yes, make the app 'The Rangers App' or something as simple and make the author Rangers Football Club.

You made an arse of the Twitter, website, Facebook and all the others, try to get something right online.

Don't make people need a ST to use it, don't make people fill out a Rangers number input, don't release it to a certain number of people. Just a normal app...look at the English teams, do what they do.

Can none of the RTV team code in the languages needed? Use phonegap and write the damn things in HTML and use AJAX requests to get pages.

To me at 20 it feels like there's an 80 year old in charge of our online media team.

Go out to any city in the Scotland...what does almost everyone have? A phone. That runs apps...and can stream RTV...or give you score notifications...or breaking news...or a club shop in one central place that's actually usable unlike the website.

Long time since I was 20, in fact I’m nearer 80 :D but it seems to me that the present system is anything but user friendly and if an easier system like through an app was introduced then many more would likely use it with the associated increase in revenue. The usual reason given for not carrying out improvements like this is cost but to someone who has no idea how much these things are, how much are we actually talking about compared to the current unwieldy system? Would the likely increase in subscribers cover it? Speculate to accumulate?

I have a HDMI cable for my Samsung to the TV but it's a bit annoying, espcially when you want to chat to mates during the game/text or the fact you have to make sure that the phone is loaded to a decent level before streaming as the HDMI cable port is also where the charger goes.

An app or option to cast to the TV would be ideal.

So simple to do and someone would build app for all platforms for relative pennies

Folk want an app because it 'makes things simple'. That seems a good, and obvious, route to go down. It would work for those UK-based folk with a UK subscription model and it would work for those overseas with an overseas subscription model.

However, I suspect that a large percentage of RangersTV subscribers are UK-based fans with an overseas subscription (like myself)! We, therefore, need to use a VPN. Whilst easy to do, the use of a VPN, by definition, takes you away from the 'make things simple' goal espoused earlier in the thread.

I think the idea of an app - either a dedicated RangersTV app or a Club app with the necessary shortcuts - is good. I'd love to see it implemented. I just don't think it will fulfill the 'make it simple' wishes of the 'youngsters' on here for whom 'everything' is all just 'too difficult'. I have a son of my own and he's the worst for it, just like most of his generation.:eek:

As I said I am not really talking about using vpn for live games. I used to think Rangers tv was more for people outside the UK. I didn't know that for the monthly subscription you could watch the 90 minutes of every game after midnight on the day of the game as I thought it was only available outside the UK. I knew there was ways around watching games live if you paid for them individually and used a vpn but with it being a grey area I wouldn't risk taking out the top package because companies like netflix have now found ways to block vpns. I would however pay the £17 a month no problem for the as live after midnight but only if there was an official app that could be installed onto a smart tv. I don't want to be bringing pcs or hooking up all sorts of cables in the living room and I am sure there are many who are the same.

I am not having a go at Rangers tv as from what I have seen of it it is very good. I only found out about being able to watch re runs of the full games after a family member who lives in England told me he watches the full games after 12 each weekend on his pc through Rangers tv. An app and clear instructions saying you can watch the full games as live after 12 or the day after would have a big demand as it would be like having our own channel on tv again like we used to have on sky. Only this time it would be better as we can chose the on demand stuff and we would be paying Rangers directly and making more money from it.

One of the media team(can't remember their twitter handle) was asking how to make all things Rangers media related better, and this was one of the biggest things getting asked.

It makes sense and also 4k content also makes sence, but would cost a fair bit. But for 5 notes all the archive games and interviews its good value.

At least they are now asking the questions and taking so of the points onboard.

As long as your device has a web browser you can get RTV no problem. I watch all of our games via my iPad running RTV & airplayed to my TV via Apple TV.

One of the media team(can't remember their twitter handle) was asking how to make all things Rangers media related better, and this was one of the biggest things getting asked.

It makes sense and also 4k content also makes sence, but would cost a fair bit. But for 5 notes all the archive games and interviews its good value.

At least they are now asking the questions and taking so of the points onboard.

They only just upgraded it to HD at the start of last season. Can’t see 4K being a top priority, especially when you consider how many people have a device cable of streaming it?

This is exactly what I do. I've done it for the past seasons and will be doing it again this season. I live in Bristol so it's my way of putting some money back into the club. I must say the quality last season was far superior to the season before as they introduced HD. Hopefully this season will be even better and we actually start winning games at Ibrox :)

It's up to all us Bears to spread the message on VPN as for pretty obvious reason RTV can't publicly say to go and do that.

Back