Rangers U20s - 14 year old Lean King make debut in 6-1 win. Anyone know much about him?

RANGERS kid Leon King made his under-20s debut at the age of just FOURTEEN today.

Gers thrashed Partick Thistle 6-1 at Lesser Hampden this afternoon in the City of Glasgow Cup.

KENNY RAMSAY - THE SUN GLASGOW
Murty handed the youngster his debut
And it was a day to remember for King as he came on for the under-20s in the latter stages of the game.

The defender – who turns 15 in January – was named player of the tournament at last year’s JD Club Northern Ireland.

King has represented Scotland Under-16s and faced England at St George’s Park in August.

The youngster has also appeared for Gers’ under-19s after coming on as a late substitute in the 2-2 draw with Spartak Moscow earlier this month.

RELATED STORIES

'NOT TOO SURE'
Alan Hutton insists Celtic fan John Terry is really a secret 'true blue'

'SHOW RESPECT'
Adam hits back at Rangers fan who questioned him commenting on Wee Jay video

GERS SUMMIT
When is the Rangers AGM 2018, where will it be held and what will be discussed?

RAPID BLOW
Rangers' Europa League hopes boosted after Rapid Vienna lose two key players

SIMPLY THE BEST
Santi Cazorla warns Rangers that Villarreal are back to their best

'TOP DEFENDER'
Stephen Thompson says Gareth McAuley's experience can be invaluable for Gers

Thistle had 15-year-old Mason McCready on the bench.

The fourth year pupil at Bearsden Academy had to get a special dispensation to get out of school for the afternoon, but he ultimately didn’t feature.

Celtic starlet Karamoko Dembele made worldwide headlines when he made his Under-20s bow for the Hoops aged just 13 in 2016.

Gers had to come from behind this afternoon after Thistle took the lead just seven minutes into the game.

Dapo Mebude soon levelled things for Graeme Murty’s side before netting his second of the game after the break.

CRACKDOWN Celtic stars ‘blamed for rammy’ after Rangers game as cops ‘call for lap of honour ban’
Stephen Kelly then made it 3-1 before Liam Burt tapped in to make it four.

Mebude then set up Andy Dallas to make it 5-1 before Burt scored his second of the day in injury time to make it six for the Light Blues.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news and transfers from Scottish

He was at school with my son and played for Barrhead before Rangers snapped him up.

Boy further up the thread says he's too small but not sure about that. He was smaller than my son 3 or 4 years ago but has filled out and seems to have something about him. I've not seen him play for rangers but clearly a.prospect.

My fear would be thst -assuming he is good enough- he goes down south a la Billy Gilmour as I've no doubt the kids heads are turned by that.

He's deffo a Gers fan but goes for nothing these days.

And I've.nothing against Billy G. btw Just a shame we didn't get more.out of him from a performance.and monetary point of view. Love seeing one of.our own doing well.

Follow someone on twitter that goes to the youth games and he said the boy has played a few times at 18s level and holds his own.

Am looking forward to seeing how far our youth go in the next few years we have get prospects in our academy.

He was at school with my son and played for Barrhead before Rangers snapped him up.

Boy further up the thread says he's too small but not sure about that. He was smaller than my son 3 or 4 years ago but has filled out and seems to have something about him. I've not seen him play for rangers but clearly a.prospect.

My fear would be thst -assuming he is good enough- he goes down south a la Billy Gilmour as I've no doubt the kids heads are turned by that.

And I've.nothing against Billy G. btw Just a shame we didn't get more.out of him from a performance.and monetary point of view. Love seeing one of.our own doing well.

Well done Steg, finally 13 posts in what we are all looking for.

I'm pretty certain his comment was tongue in cheek mate.

As in its a typical Scottish thing to say about youngsters.

Always my fear with anybody under sixteen now.

Hes a very good player, very strong for his age, really good physicality. Really composed and reads the game well, he stays away from birds and drink there is no reason he cant make it (injury and attitude aside)
He also seems a very level headed and down to earth kid.
I really would like to see him make it as he certainly sticks out at his age group, good luck to the lad.

Hopefully we can develop more like Lean and pass the benefits on to the first team. Not a fan of the early media attention let the boy get on with developing first and foremost, I understand that sometimes not much can be done.

I was always rather suspicious of the Yahoo’s constant placing of stories regarding their young lad (very similar to what they do to some of their dross.) I don’t follow youth football tbh so I wonder if he is as good as the media make out? Another Islam Feruz?

Last edited:
Back