MOTM Poll Rangers v Hearts - 15:00 Saturday - RangersTV

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Morelos is our record European goal scorer and just shy of a century. When Roofe gets to that stage then I'd maybe have that debate with you.
Give both of them 10 of the same chances and roofe scores more than him. Still think Morelos is our best player though.

They all make mistakes. Goram had a lot of howlers but his forward line put the ball in the net a bit more often!

He really didn’t drop the ball with anywhere near the frequency McGregor does. You’ll struggle to find howlers like that today made by Goram. Had this discussion before and I can think of a small handful of howlers from Goram, I can think of a fair number of occasions McGregors dropped a clanger. That’s not to say he’s not been fantastic for us, but the idea he’s up there with the goalie I think has to be ludicrous to anyone who remembers the 90’s.

Another two points thrown away. If we are to be Champions again this year, this hemorrhaging has to stop!

I don't know why we are seeing a repeat of the Jekyll & Hyde performances of two years ago, but its a worrying sight. We pummel teams but seem to surrender the initiative when we can't score. It's like the belief gets sucked right out of the players and they collectively start making errors.

The manager has to take his share of the blame today with that double substitution of his. Hagi, and Aribo in particular, were our most effective forwards. Alfie looked like he wouldnt score if he played till midnight. His sheepish glance at the bench showed that he fully expected to be pulled. Davis coming on forced Lundstram out of position and we suffered defensively because of it. Baccuna was far too slack in possession and not nearly urgent enough in shutting players down, especially when compared to the job Aribo was doing. We literally gave up control of the game and from then on it was all Hearts.

What's worse is I can't see an easy fix. Our off season signings have done nothing to improve us (Lundstram seems a direct replacement for Davis) and I worry the manager can't fix It with the know what to do when the game plan goes off track.

I fear it's going to be a long, hard, season

That's fair but his subs were shocking
I don't think they were. Roofe's movement got him through on goal twice to make a couple of chances. Davis won the ball back one or twice and Bacuna played a few defence splitting passes. Individual mistakes done us not the changes.

While I agree Morelos is currently honking , I'm not entirely convinced roofe is any form either. In fact our strikers have been the biggest issue this season.

Paterson is nowhere near as good as Tav yet.
He will be, but not yet.
We are going to need to agree to disagree on that one.

Tav has played 13 games this season. Name a game you can say he has played well.. Even when he scored the wonder goal against St Johnstone he was very poor.

A much better performance today but the same old issue..... We just cant take our chances. Yes Morelos today but every game its someone else.

You knew it was going to end 1-1 at 80mins.

Amatuer, naive substitutions in my opinion.

I am afraid it was long before that. Only one team tired in the last 25 minutes and it wasn’t the one played off the park in the first hour.

Roofe done more and got closer to scoring in a short time vs. Morelos for 90 mins.

I don't doubt Morelos' ability but a manager should easily be able to see when things aren't working and make changes that help. He didn't. He left probably the worst players in the game on the part and took off players who weren't great, but shouldn't have been hooked.
He can't wait to take off scott wright and it fell apart from there

Take back what I said previously about Gerrard. He can change a game...for the worse. Real questions need to be asked because the league last year looks like a single swallow rather than a summer.

I'm a bloody Rangers pessimist so (perhaps) I look on the negative side a bit too much. But my take on being 4 pts ahead of the Scum is that it is without doubt great to have the points in the bag (that is me being positive) but IMHO Celtic have played the better teams away whilst we have done the reverse.

Celtic have played Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell and ourselves away and are at Easter Rd in 11 days time. If they finish the 1st set of fixtures only 4 pts behind us whilst bedding in a new squad they will feel they are in the mix.

As a pessimist and with the way we have performed on the road this season I have little confidence in us going away to Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hibs in the 2nd set of fixtures and picking up full points.

We are in a title race and with £40M to the winner today was a massive two pts thrown away in the final minute.

Last edited:
Hearts are due some credit, at least they are actually trying to play football, not playing with 11 men behind the ball like other SPL teams.

Hearts never play with 11 men behind the ball, we know and should expect them to come at us, it’s what they always do.

One player cost us today, had he converted two of the many chances he had.

We’d have won.

While I agree Morelos is currently honking , I'm not entirely convinced roofe is any form either. In fact our strikers have been the biggest issue this season.
If I had the choice of a decent scoring chance falling to Morelos or Roofe, I would choose Roofe as I think he is an intelligent player and has a cool head while Morelos snatches at chances.

A two yards out miss is not on the team, the team provided it on a plate, it on Morelos, he takes that easy as %^*& chance and we cruise to victory.
Which is why Alfie should've been taken off. So who is to blame he was still on the park?

That's a lot of words for didn't score either.

Morelos had a shocker today, no denying but he is still the best goal scorer at the club
It's actually Defoe. But that's no saving grace if he ain't playing

We are going to need to agree to disagree on that one.

Tav has played 13 games this season. Name a game you can say he has played well.. Even when he scored the wonder goal against St Johnstone he was very poor.
No problem with opinions.
Paterson has done ok same as Bassey , but not better than Tav and Borna.

Problem seems to be atm if we have a good 1st half its almost guaranteed we'll be poor in the 2nd

I didn't see one Rangers player try to take a grip of the game in the last 20mins as Heart built up a head of steam
This is when you're captain should be leading by example, sadly we don't have that

Mcgregor howler and Morelos having a stinker cost us big time on a day when we dominated and played some good stuff.
McGregor was at fault for the goal but nobody can blame him for dropping two points, he saved us before the error.
It's tough on McGregor as we can't score more when at 1-0 and any error he makes makes it 1-1.
A shot shy midfield doesn't help when we are looking for goals.
30 seconds to go today and Glen Kamara showed fear to have a shot and passed it wide then the final whistle went.
Kamara is a top player but needs to add goals to his game.

Also, I’ve no idea why McGregor is trying to punch that in the first place. It’s the easiest most bread and butter catch any keeper could get

Fan media question suggestion:

“Steven, your substitutions baffled many, and had zero impact on the game, in fact, probably they had a negative impact - not for the first time. Can you explain the reasoning for taking 2 of the 3 best performing players off the park, and in turn surrender possession to Hearts”

And...since you have turned Alfie into an ineffective striker, is there any chance you could turn him back into the 30 goal a season striker you inherited?

Should have been Sakala coming on for Wright as we had no real pace in attack after that and hearts could squeeze up .

Spot on, our subs told everyone that we were happy with what we had a were shutting up shop. Hearts moved 10 yards further up the pitch.

The game changed with our subs and not in a positive way for us. Not criticizing SG but he is a cautious manager, not one to take too many risks in a tight game and it showed today. IMHO replace Wright and Alfie with Sakala and Roofe and we win that today.

I haven't read the thread today and am just in from the pub so just sticking my twopennyworth in before reading ewhat others ahve to say. We dominated and outplayed Hearts for 80 minutes but again were not great in front of goal. The for reasons I can't explain we invited them on for the last ten minutes and got the inevitable result. No complaints. We need to dominate for 90 minutes or get better in front of goal.

And...since you have turned Alfie into an ineffective striker, is there any chance you could turn him back into the 30 goal a season striker you inherited?
These are questions that need to be asked. Whether they are going to be uncomfortable for those asking and the manager himself, they need to be asked. He can’t keep getting a free ride and getting away with the “there are plenty positives” pish that we’ve been hit with every week this season

Getting really sick of this shite, I worry when we get a run of hard away games, we’re worse than the team we had TWO years ago

Those games are coming, and if you offer me top of the table in January I will take it now. This team don’t look capable of doing it themselves with games at Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell and Aberdeen just ahead.

Perhaps it is if the manager either starts the wrong players or fails to substitute them by 60 minutes.
Gerrard said pre match why roofe didn't start. All strikers have off days, in most cases you put faith in them

Against Hibs roofe came on without Morelos going off and we won with them Both scoring.

Literally, Gerrards Hard-on for the Klopp style of play is totally hindering Morelos, and in turn killing his value.

Why does Stevie-G not see what the fans see.
Tav's crossing was diabolical today and should've been replaced by Patterson

Morelos couldn't score in a barrel of fannies today but he took off Hagi and Aribo, and left Alfredo on to just get worse in front of goal.

Sometimes the fans read the game better than the management, without the fear of upsetting Alfredo by subbing him and Tav as he is captain and hooking him for a youngster.

If they are poor then replace them.

At this precise moment if I had my way I'd go with the majority of B team for the rest of the season and the first team I'd put into the woman's league as it seems they can't play for 90mins.

One of thise games IMO.

Should've been 3 or 4-2.

Shagger saved us twice prior to the flap.

Only concern is we ain't killing teams off. Thought we were looking like last year's team 1st half.

Got a positive feeling we're going to kick on so no panic.

I'm the opposite, I'm panicking. Everything good about the team last season is missing this season.

We cannot score, we cannot defend, have played crap on the road and been fortunate to win a couple of these games. We are almost into the 2nd set of fixtures where we play Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell and Aberdeen away - I'm not confident that we'll still be top come the end of the 2nd set of fixtures.

Thought a lot of good things from the team today. A lot of 8/10 performances if we had held on, but at least a point off everyone for throwing that lead away.

But Morelos isn't performing at all, and today was shocking. Snatching at chances and ballooning high and wide, generally failing to hit the target, and that miss after Roofe lays it on for him was the icing on the cake.

We saw this last season where Morelos wasn't scoring but his workrate and holdup play were distracting defenders and his distribution was bringing others into play. But that was last season when Tav was banging in 15 goals before Christmas or whatever it was. I'm not sure we can afford a striker who isn't hitting the target for much longer, and I'm not sure his all-round play is even contributing all that much right now to justify him continuing to be an automatic starter.

I don't know what we do, but I think it's time to try something different up front.

In fairness the best SPL game I've seen live in some time, could've been 4-4 on another day, some profligate finishing and excellent keeping at both ends.

Of course huge disappointment at the late goal especially as it was a McGregor howler but to be fair Hearts went toe to toe and actually went for it, a rare thing from SPL opposition at Ibrox. Boyce was useful and Gnanduillet a handful on from the bench. McKay tricky but no end product not surprising. As usual Gordon had a good game. For us, Lundstram and Hagi excellent.

My main gripe is the subs. Aribo and Hagi both put in a great shift and neither should have been subbed let alone both. It was clear Tav was struggling for a knock and Patterson should have come on. Bacuna may be useful in certain games but in a crunch table topping clash against motivated, in form opposition. Disappointed in Gerrard/Beale with those subs today.

That's a lot of words for didn't score either.

Morelos had a shocker today, no denying but he is still the best goal scorer at the club

ffs Alfie must have had at least 8 attemps on goal and achieved the square root of feck all. But more worryingly this is not a one-off, he has been like that in almost every league game this season. He never has been the most natural of finishers but this season he looks like he has never played upfront before. An on-song Alfie would be in double figures with the chances he has been presented with in the 8 league games he has played to date rather than the paltry 2 he has. Today's performance should see him on the bench.

ffs Alfie must have had at least 8 attemps on goal and achieved the square root of feck all. But more worryingly this is not a one-off, he has been like that in almost every league game this season. He never has been the most natural of finishers but this season he looks like he has never played upfront before. An on-song Alfie would be in double figures with the chances he has been presented with in the 8 league games he has played to date rather than the paltry 2 he has. Today's performance should see him on the bench.
I mean we played Hibs less than two weeks ago with Roofe coming on and Morelos staying on, both ending up on score sheet. That's some level of selective amnesia

Morelos is our record European goal scorer and just shy of a century. When Roofe gets to that stage then I'd maybe have that debate with you.

ffs I get the man love with Alfie, we have all been there, but he has a 3 year head start on Roofe.

Roofe would not have missed the chances Alfie did today. Scatching my head to think of as poor a striking performance by a Rangers player .... how about Alfie's 3 or 4 dreadful misses away to Alashkert only two months ago. These two games sum up Alfie's season, right off the boil.

I mean we played Hibs less than two weeks ago with Roofe coming on and Morelos staying on, both ending up on score sheet. That's some level of selective amnesia

We were chasing that game, we needed too score.

You do know we are allowed to criticise a player who has a stinker. Alfie had one today, as poor as I can recall and he deserves the stick. McGregor, despite some good saves, also had a stinker, becsause his one mistake costed us two points,

ffs I get the man love with Alfie, we have all been there, but he has a 3 year head start on Roofe.

Roofe would not have missed the chances Alfie did today. Scatching my head to think of as poor a striking performance by a Rangers player .... how about Alfie's 3 or 4 dreadful misses away to Alashkert only two months ago. These two games sum up Alfie's season, right off the boil.
If you can't remember a worse striking performance than that then most of the last decade must have passed you by. It speaks volumes you choose to omit games like our last home game against Hibs.

IT
One of thise games IMO.

Should've been 3 or 4-2.

Shagger saved us twice prior to the flap.

Only concern is we ain't killing teams off. Thought we were looking like last year's team 1st half.

Got a positive feel
Thing is it's yet another one of those games. How many one of those games does it take for the team to wake up from walking in to a busted flush?

Pretty much reminiscent of the Motherwell match. The game should have been over by half time.
Excellent first half, however we can't seem to sustain a 90 minute performance.
I've no idea why we can't bury teams this season, but I hope the coaching/management team can find a solution.
Our strikers aren't on fire for sure. If they were, we'd well ahead points wise.

Back