Official Rangers Women's games to be played at Broadwood

mdingwall

Administrator
Top-flight women’s football games to kick off at Broadwood
A partnership between North Lanarkshire Council and Rangers Football Club is set to bring top-flight football fixtures to Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld.

This latest signing by our Active and Creative Communities Team and Rangers Women’s team, will see all home fixtures kick off at Broadwood for the 2022/23 season, initially as a one-year rolling programme.

And on the back of the successful women’s European Championship, we hope a capacity 8,000 crowd at Broadwood Stadium will take the opportunity to watch Ranger’s Women’s team playing in all league, cup and potentially UEFA European fixtures should the team successfully qualify.

This partnership has the potential to inspire a new generation of budding footballers and fans to get involved in the growth and success of the women’s game.

Depute Leader of North Lanarkshire Council, Councillor Tracy Carragher, said: “This is fantastic news and another exciting development for Broadwood’s footballing story.
“Women’s football is growing across the globe with the spotlight still focusing on the success of the Euro’s and it’s great to see a professional women’s team using our excellent facilities and playing its home games here at Broadwood. I hope by having regular women’s fixtures in our area more people will come along and watch some live matches.
“I’d like to wish Rangers Women’s team every success for the coming season.”
Women’s and Girls’ Football Manager, Amy McDonald, said: “We hope this will be an exciting move for our women’s first-team as we relocate our home games to Broadwood Stadium.
“We look forward to working with North Lanarkshire Council in this partnership and hope this move will give us the opportunity to provide a more enjoyable matchday experience for supporters and encourage many more to come and support the women’s game.”

Broadwood Stadium boasts more than 1 million visits per year and is a true multi-purpose sports hub. The stadium itself is a SFA sliver category with the latest LED sequence floodlight system fit for Women’s Champions League fixtures.
“Broadwood is a top-class sporting facility,” added Councillor Barry McCluskey, Depute Convener of People and Communities, “and this latest signing will see Rangers Women’s team joint current partners Cumbernauld Colts, who run a community programme for around 600 youngsters, as well as a team in the Scottish Lowland League and Open Goal Broomhill who we have just partnered with us for the upcoming season and who also play in the Scottish Lowland League.

“Broadwood is a well-used popular facility and it’s great to see both youngsters just starting out in the game to lower league and now a top league team playing here. I hope people will take the opportunity to come along and support women’s football at Broadwood which I’m sure will continue to inspire and encourage more girls to get involved and take up the sport.”
In addition, to the stadium and leisure centre, the campus includes: a national level award winning BMX track; a state-of-the-art gymnastics facility; New College Lanarkshire’s football campus; three competition level tennis courts and a world rugby compliant pitch, which previously hosted the ladies six nations matches.

I suppose the 8k capacity cant be grumbled at but i don't really like us being associated with rubbish plastic parks at any level though. We complain often enough about them in the men's game.
No grass facility suitably available and the training centre doesn’t meet the requirements for UWCL.

North Lanarkshire Council ?

Is that the same North Lanarkshire Council that allowed David Goodwillie to play for years at Clyde FC at Broadwood and then threatened to expel Clyde from Broadwood when Val McDermid and Nicola Sturgeon kicked up a fuss about Goodwillie transferring to Raith Rovers and then transferring back to that same Clyde FC at the same Broadwood ?

A few "moral compasses" gone haywire?
I have no comment to make on Goodwillie's "moral compass" but I think maybe questions could be asked about North Lanarkshire Council's double standards.

Last edited:
North Lanarkshire Council ?

Is that the same North Lanarkshire Council that allowed David Goodwillie to play for years at Clyde FC at Broadwood and then threatened to expel Clyde from Broadwood when Val McDermid and Nicola Sturgeon kicked up a fuss about Goodwillie transferring to Raith Rovers and then transferring back to that same Clyde FC at the same Broadwood ?

A few "moral compasses" gone haywire?
I have no comment to make on Goodwillie's "moral compass" but I think maybe questions could be asked about North Lanarkshire Council's double standards.
I'm pretty sure NLC had already agreed not to renew the lease, the Badwillie/Val/Pricola was just a cunning distraction.

So now they have us and Si Ferry's Egotrip there, where did Clyde re-locate to?

I'm pretty sure NLC had already agreed not to renew the lease, the Badwillie/Val/Pricola was just a cunning distraction.

So now they have us and Si Ferry's Egotrip there, where did Clyde re-locate to?
East Kilbride for Clyde?

I believe the Broomhill game the other week got 650 to watch it. There highest ever for a league game I think I am correct in saying.

Clyde are playing at Hamilton this season. I think long term they should try and get the Hockey Centre at Glasgow Green as a home ground.

Just about every team in the womens league plays on artificial. Bigger, better ground for the women but it was good getting to go into the training ground to watch games

East Kilbride for Clyde?

I believe the Broomhill game the other week got 650 to watch it. There highest ever for a league game I think I am correct in saying.
Just checked, ground sharing with Accies.

Is Broadwood better than the pitch the B team were playing on last year at Dumbarton?

From a completely selfish point of view it’s a pity that this isn’t the B team making the move to here as it is very local

Clyde are playing at Hamilton this season. I think long term they should try and get the Hockey Centre at Glasgow Green as a home ground.

Just about every team in the womens league plays on artificial. Bigger, better ground for the women but it was good getting to go into the training ground to watch games
They won’t get near the hockey centre.

They’re taking over crownpoint from Glasgow Life and developing it I’ve heard.

Back