Referees - how to redress the situation?

if youve ever had an abusive partner or gone through a divorce with someone who hates you, you know that sometimes you are in a fight with someone who is willing to push the envelope into places you are not willing to go. They will do things you are not willing to do, as you respect yourself, your family and you have integrity. In those instances you lose.

We find ourselves in that position. We are simply, as a community of people, not willing to sink to the standards they hold as normal. We will not follow referees kids to their school, we will not attack referees homes while their wife and children sleep inside, we will not feed at every turn a persecution complex that justifies any and all actions irrespective of their moral iniquity.

We have to be better than them on the field of play, that's what makes us who we are.

Since the recent passing of John Fleming, who has taken his role?

Who is appointing refs?

We should have been yesterday if we’d taken our chances. Our inability to finish cost us more than the offside decision did.

Again, utterly pointless argument.

Morelos could have missed 50 chances, but if the goal that decides the final is awarded incorrectly then that’s the big issue.

We have a team who can match them on the park we now have to match them off the park, dignified silence wont do this time
We need to be shouting from the rooftops about cheating and put as much pressure on the officials as we can

As rule I don't think k refs and linesman are biased,that's not to say there are not any rotten apples in the barrel.
However there has been some blatantly bad decisions going against us so the situation needs addressing.
They know there is no comeback if we are on the end of a bad decision so are more likely not to give us any benefit of the doubts.IE,the penalty we didn't get on Wednesday,he knew it was a foul he was 3 yards away,but no penalty?Today's decisions speak for themselves.
I think we should present all this video evidence to the SFA and the refereeing committee,it won't help what has historically happened but might make them think twice if we are constantly in their ear.
Don’t forget the SFA and referee committee are full of them as well

Mate, as said in the first line of the OP, if you don’t think refereeing is an issue then there’s no point being in this thread. There are plenty of others where you can discuss our inability to take chances.

With all due respect attitudes like yours in terms of refereeing is why we are on the receiving end of decisions like this, we’re too happy to brush it off.

Our inability to take chances meant we didn’t win but refereeing decisions meant we got beat! You might not agree but why try to dissuade others who think it’s an issue?

As mentioned above were not going to be in a position anytime soon where we could confidently say we’ll beat them regardless of poor decisions against us (and nor should we have to) so it’s a pertinent issue.
You can’t just tell folk what threads they can and can’t be in, if their opinion doesn’t match your initial argument :))

The fact of the matter is, if we’d have taken our chances yesterday, the offside wouldn’t have made the blindest bit of difference and we’d likely have been laughing at the fact they needed an offside goal just to lose 4-1 rather than 4-0. Instead though, we missed brilliant chance after brilliant chance and now here we all are, playing the victims card and moaning about a refereeing decision that whilst wrong, should have had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever. We lost the game ourselves through a barrage of poor finishing, simple as that.

Again, utterly pointless argument.

Morelos could have missed 50 chances, but if the goal that decides the final is awarded incorrectly then that’s the big issue.
No, the big issue there is that Morelos has missed 50 chances, including a penalty. We should have won 4/5-1 yesterday even with their offside goal. We’ve no one to blame for losing yesterday but ourselves.

You can’t just tell folk what threads they can and can’t be in, if their opinion doesn’t match your initial argument :))

The fact of the matter is, if we’d have taken our chances yesterday, the offside wouldn’t have made the blindest bit of difference and we’d likely have been laughing at the fact they needed an offside goal just to lose 4-1 rather than 4-0. Instead though, we missed brilliant chance after brilliant chance and now here we all are, playing the victims card and moaning about a refereeing decision that whilst wrong, should have had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever. We lost the game ourselves through a barrage of poor finishing, simple as that.

So there goal wasn’t offside? And the pen against Aberdeen, that doesn’t matter because our defending was so poor?!

Your points are off topic for this thread.

It's a very good question mate.
We have virtually no friends in the media, it's a hard one.

They are benefiting no doubt, officials are running scared of them.

The media up here is rammed with that lot.

It’s been a strategy since PJP turned up early 80’s. Now, they have their cheerleaders who won’t open their mouths about the injustice of yesterday’s disgraceful offside goal costing us a deserved trophy or for a 40 year paedo ring cover up, apparently.

All we can do is highlight this ourselves through social media and our own club website and the few sympathetic reporters who do exist.

It’s taken nearly 40 years for this sorry state of affairs to arise so it won’t change overnight, but we all have a responsibility to do our bit, starting with closely scrutinising who we vote for.

So there goal wasn’t offside? And the pen against Aberdeen, that doesn’t matter because our defending was so poor?!

Your points are off topic for this thread.
Where did I say their goal wasn’t offside? I said it shouldn’t have mattered as we should have been bettering them by that point.

Yes, it should’ve been a pen away to Aberdeen, but again, there’s plenty of our own failings in that game that cost us (chucking a 2 goal lead from such a comfortable position for example).

You asked how we redress the refereeing problem. The answer is, we can’t. The only thing we can do, is take the referees out of the game by doing our own job better. If we’d done that on Wednesday and Sunday we’d be sitting top of the league and with a league cup in the bag.

No, the big issue there is that Morelos has missed 50 chances, including a penalty. We should have won 4/5-1 yesterday even with their offside goal. We’ve no one to blame for losing yesterday but ourselves.

We lost 1-0 to a goal that officials wrongly deemed onside, of course they are to blame for that.

So just ignore our own failings to put the ball in the back of the net and blame anyone else?

To lose 1-0 in a cup final to a goal where there’s three players offside - and have been standing offside for over ten seconds beforehand - then that is the big issue. That’s not even taking into consideration how far Forster was off his line or that we should have had another penalty.

We missed a fair few chances, but we’ve been denied at least a crack at extra time with 11 v 10 based on a second helping of ‘honest mistakes’ from a Scottish ref within four days.

Why you want to ignore all that is utterly beyond me.

To lose 1-0 in a cup final to a goal where there’s three players offside - and have been standing offside for over ten seconds beforehand - then that is the big issue. That’s not even taking into consideration how far Forster was off his line or that we should have had another penalty.

We missed a fair few chances, but we’ve been denied at least a crack at extra time with 11 v 10 based on a second helping of ‘honest mistakes’ from a Scottish ref within four days.

Why you want to ignore all that is utterly beyond me.
As beyond you as it is beyond me why some people’s go to has to be to blame officials when the simple fact of the matter is, we should have been out of sight yesterday. If we’d done our job, the officials would’ve meant nothing in the game.

Anyway, let’s agree to disagree.

As beyond you as it is beyond me why some people’s go to has to be to blame officials when the simple fact of the matter is, we should have been out of sight yesterday. If we’d done our job, the officials would’ve meant nothing in the game.

Anyway, let’s agree to disagree.

Even if we don’t finish the chances we create yesterday, we should have had a second penalty, a re-take first penalty and their goal shouldn’t have stood.

I’m struggling with your argument. They were horrendous yesterday because we didn’t let them play. One shot on target the whole game remember, so I don’t understand why you’re downplaying them getting a completely game-changing goal incorrectly.

It quite literally cost us the game.

We finish the chances we create and then the referee becomes irrelevant. The refereeing will always be poor so take care of what we can and stop it having an impact.
Please! Do us a favour, they’re not just poor, they’re ignoring the bloody obvious depending on what team is playing.
These officials bypassed poor into someone more sinister along time ago.

How do the board step in?
Release a statement asking why the linesman missed such an obvious decision and why the referee ignored two fouls in the box both of which were penalties? Ask why the game is run for and by Liewell? Dignified silence is utter cr@p.

Yeah. thats the outlets that would prove of value, but try getting them onside.

Look at the papers tomorrow, see how many of them run with main story being an offside goal.
Had we won in that fashion, you could bet your life on the VAR type image filling the pages.

We need friends, right now we have none.
Think they have all mentioned the offside goal.

Yesterday I was raging at Tav “shitting” it for the PK.

But after cooling down and with SG confirming Alfie was the designated penalty taker maybe things weren’t what they seemed to be at first.

Just a thought.Maybe knowing that Alfie was low on confidence 1on 1 with Fraser Tav offered to take the kick.

Morelos certainly didn’t look like he was confident of scoring and it was a poor kick.

Poor refereeing was also a factor.

What is the point in ignoring it?

We are never going to change refereeing while so many fans are terrified of the subject, and while it is a difficult one for the club they say next to nothing too..... we will just continue to get shafted as match officials will do what it takes to protect their career and avoid hassle from the press. The refs see a club that is weaker than they are and know fine well about the dignity/better than tims stuff a section of our support go on about every single day. There isnt anything dignified about letting people walk all over you and take the piss and thats what the officials/sfa are doing.

Collum, in my view, gave us the best chance of beating Celtic other refs are much worse than he is and still we lost to some odd decisions and aye some poor finishing. Beaton was very biased the other night too but i would say these 2 dont have anything like the same previous record as McLean or Madden. They will be up next and fired up to perform for the bbc and papers.

I dont see what we have to lose by just calling them all cheats, not one ref as thats nasty and erm timmy talk which ofcourse is out....but the lot of them everyone at the club/fans/players should be talking about dishonest refs before and after each game, maybe more so after a win. Cant get any worse they are going out to manipulate the games anyway we may as well call them out on and put them under some pressure. Never know actually speaking about it would force the press to report on it even if most of its going to be negative as usual.

Poor refereeing was also a factor.

What is the point in ignoring it?
It was only a factor because we couldn’t finish. I’m more concerned about how we can dominate a game like we did and not score a single goal.

Where did I say their goal wasn’t offside? I said it shouldn’t have mattered as we should have been bettering them by that point.

Yes, it should’ve been a pen away to Aberdeen, but again, there’s plenty of our own failings in that game that cost us (chucking a 2 goal lead from such a comfortable position for example).

You asked how we redress the refereeing problem. The answer is, we can’t. The only thing we can do, is take the referees out of the game by doing our own job better. If we’d done that on Wednesday and Sunday we’d be sitting top of the league and with a league cup in the bag.

You said, and I'll quote....
We lost the game ourselves through a barrage of poor finishing, simple as that.

Which is nonsense, as poor as our finishing was, had the referee/linesman given the goal as offside it'd have been 0-0 worst case scenario. So we lost the game because of the decision.

As I pointed out in the OP I fully agree that we need to be more clinical and we need to ensure we don't have another collapse like the one against aberdeen, and if I thought for a second that Gerrard and staff weren't doing everything in their power to correct that I'd be up in arms but that's not the only thing that needs to change.

In 2012 the media and everyone in Scottish football painted us as a bunch of cheats, the level of hatred directed towards us has been unprecedented, it's created an environment where referees are fearful of giving decisions that help Rangers and/or hinder cel'ic. We have seen a number of them in 4 days and apparently cel'ic's second against hamilton should have been stopped but I've not seen that myself.

We've got cel'ic youth coaches walking on and chopping off goals against us, the refs are clearly intimidated otherwise why was there talk of them going on strike, and who can blame them when their personal details, pictures are posted online, when they've been physically attacked and there houses damaged.

You're trying to conflate the issues, the two things aren't mutually exclusive, the coaching staff can work with the players on the training ground while Robertson raises issues with the SFA/Gerrard highlights them in press conferences.

Every team has the right to be fairly refereed, if there is circumstances that mean one team is being ref'd differently then it must be addressed. To expect a team to just rise above it is ridiculous.

You said, and I'll quote....

Which is nonsense, as poor as our finishing was, had the referee/linesman given the goal as offside it'd have been 0-0 worst case scenario. So we lost the game because of the decision.

As I pointed out in the OP I fully agree that we need to be more clinical and we need to ensure we don't have another collapse like the one against aberdeen, and if I thought for a second that Gerrard and staff weren't doing everything in their power to correct that I'd be up in arms but that's not the only thing that needs to change.

In 2012 the media and everyone in Scottish football painted us as a bunch of cheats, the level of hatred directed towards us has been unprecedented, it's created an environment where referees are fearful of giving decisions that help Rangers and/or hinder cel'ic. We have seen a number of them in 4 days and apparently cel'ic's second against hamilton should have been stopped but I've not seen that myself.

We've got cel'ic youth coaches walking on and chopping off goals against us, the refs are clearly intimidated otherwise why was there talk of them going on strike, and who can blame them when their personal details, pictures are posted online, when they've been physically attacked and there houses damaged.

You're trying to conflate the issues, the two things aren't mutually exclusive, the coaching staff can work with the players on the training ground while Robertson raises issues with the SFA/Gerrard highlights them in press conferences.

Every team has the right to be fairly refereed, if there is circumstances that mean one team is being ref'd differently then it must be addressed. To expect a team to just rise above it is ridiculous.
We did lose the game due to poor finishing. We even managed to contrive to miss a pen and fail to score against 10 men for the remaining 30 minutes. The only reason the linesman decision means anything today is because we couldn’t finish the multiple chances we created. It should have been 4/5-1. It was 0-1.

Anyway, I’ll depart the thread and let others continue to blame officials for our own deficiencies yesterday.

We did lose the game due to poor finishing. We even managed to contrive to miss a pen and fail to score against 10 men for the remaining 30 minutes. The only reason the linesman decision means anything today is because we couldn’t finish the multiple chances we created. It should have been 4/5-1. It was 0-1.

Anyway, I’ll depart the thread and let others continue to blame officials for our own deficiencies yesterday.

What would the score have been if the linesman flags that ‘goal’ as offside? 0-0, so tell me who we lose that?

As I said poor finishing is the reason we didn’t win, poor officiating is the reason we lost. And it’s undeniable.

Aye, best you depart the thread rather than try to derail it.

Unless the club make a massive noise about it nothing is going to happen. I don't even know if that would be a good idea or not. It can't really go on though. It's time to forget what the other clubs or officials think and the club just go for them - they're affecting things far too much for us and far too often.

Back